How to play non-loss WAV or APE or FLAC music in CLA250 ??? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

How to play non-loss WAV or APE or FLAC music in CLA250 ???

This is a discussion on How to play non-loss WAV or APE or FLAC music in CLA250 ??? within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Looks like we are hijacking this thread, apologies. I am a jazz (bass) player primarily. In the past few years started to play fingerstyle steel ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How to play non-loss WAV or APE or FLAC music in CLA250 ???

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Looks like we are hijacking this thread, apologies.
    I am a jazz (bass) player primarily.

In the past few years started to play fingerstyle steel string
    Tommy Emanuel, Laurence Juber , Buster B Jones stuff.

In the past year I picked up a decent nylong string classical, and play that most of the time.
    Bossa nova / Brazilian guitar music, (Garoto ,Paul Bellinati)

Steve
    Rapidfirerob likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Lol I would have given up trying to get hi-fi in my car. All I do is make sure Logic 7 is on and enable the volume boost. I drive with my windows down 90% of the time, so it works...until I saw this thread...
    2015 CLA250C4 Sport+
    Aug 2015 Delivery

Member #
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coder View Post
    Looks like we are hijacking this thread, apologies.
    I am a jazz (bass) player primarily.

In the past few years started to play fingerstyle steel string
    Tommy Emanuel, Laurence Juber , Buster B Jones stuff.

In the past year I picked up a decent nylong string classical, and play that most of the time.
    Bossa nova / Brazilian guitar music, (Garoto ,Paul Bellinati)

Steve
    Excellent, Steve! I like jazz as well, but am really into fusion. I had my own band in this style some years ago called Zap Guru.
    I did get to see Mingus in Montreal in a small club while going to college at University Of Vermont. I was too intimidated to go to his
    table and something. I saw Ron Carter. Steve Swallow. I've seen most fusion style bass players, including Percy Jones recently with Brand X.
    A unique voice on the instrument.
    Anything on YouTube I could check out?
    2014 CLA 250: Night Black, Beige Interior, Pano Roof, Spoiler, Bi Xenons, Sport Package, Burl Walnut Wood Trim, Opticoat, Xpel, Alembic Spoiler bass, Eve IONA bass, Michael Kelly acoustic bass guitar, Gibson J40, Carvin Cobalt 750, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 and 6.0 amps, Two Gallien-Krueger Neo II 1X12 cabs, BOSS TU-3 tuner, Guardian of The Mighty Door Gap.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    I love it ... we can and should take as many left turns as we need ... after all it is still music related ... 8-)
    One of my technie nerdie device processing pals is a also bass player; a good friend in high school is a bass expert; a local pal is the keyboard guy on several bands; my older sister and brother can play the piano to any music they hear (that makes me so jealous); good grief even my 95 yr old Mom can play the piano.
    I think I still remember where middle C is on them ebony&ivory layouts ... and what the G chord feels like on a 6 string ... but that's it.

But anyway back on topic (yeah, what?)
    I play the DVD-A 5.1 disc on my 2014 head unit ... the HK does a pretty darn good job of pushing the drivers and sound repro to their limits
    Rapidfirerob likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That is interesting. I was unavware the head unit could play dvd 5.1. I am
    pretty unfamiliar with this format.

Presume it is a music format. What is it ? 48k sampling rate/
    Is it 16 bit resolution? Ah, I see that it supports 24 bit and higher sampling rates as well.

Looks like a credible competitor to SACD. So, if you can create or buy a dvd 5.1 disk
    and the head unit can just play it, that is as good as you can get for digital source.
    (And most likely, good enough)

Actually, I am seriously considering that the Spotify ogg Vorbis content sounds good enough for me.

At least, that the quality of the original master matters a lot more than the difference between
    the ogg and a higher bit rate lossless format.

I have been listening to some of the remastered Jethtro Tull acoustic stuff, Keb Mo, and some
    chamber music. and I doubt if I could tell them apart from the SACD version (which i also have available)
    in a blind test. I have a pretty good stereo connected to one of my computers
    where I can either play the hi-res rips, or stream the spotify version to A/B these.

(I use foobar to play 6 channel SACD content there. The player ultimately renders these as high bit rate stereo,
    but the 6 channel source sounds definitely better than the pre-rendered stereo source. Not sure actually why)

Given the pretty bad, noisy environment in the car, I am not even sure it makes any sense to pursue audio
    perfection past the a point of hi-qual compressed streaming.

To get hi-res content onto a DAP (a high end digital audio player) is a non trivial time, learning and $$
    commitment. But I am probably going to pursue it anyhow just because I can,
    I already have a SACD collection and the means to render and play them as files., so it is
    "only" another $500 for a DAP.

This is something I have been planning on getting into, so that I can drive my high impedance
    Sennheiser HD650 headset to listen to music while I work. Being able to drive the car audio from
    the DAP is just an added bonus.

BTW if anybody is interested in getting into pretty good headphones (obviously, not for the car!)
    at reasonable prices, massdrop,con is a good place to check out. Got their version
    of the 650-s ( they call it 6xx) for something like $200.

Is there commercially available music content for the dvd 5.1 format?
    What software you use to create the 5.1 dvd?
    Last edited by coder; 04-18-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Since I last posted here, I have been listening to a lot of
    high quality compressed content from spotify. they use Ogg vorbis
    for their "high quality" streams or cached downloads. This is considered
    better then the best Mp3-s you can make, but not quite as good as lossless
    CD, and noticeably worse than the high bit rate formats.

I find a few (very well recorded) albums there, that I also have in SACD.
    So I have some idea how these things sound when recorded compressionless, at a high
    bit rate when played back on top grade equipment.

I conclude that : for content that is not superbly mastered, 320K mp3 or ogg is good enough.
    The limiting factor is much more the quality of the recording and mastering than the difference between
    the formats discussed.

Even in the best case, the gains that can be achieved by improving the playback chain
    are subtle, and not readily apparent. For the average content, I cannot hear enough difference to
    make it worth investing in a Hi-res player.

I have been also playing with the Logic 7 ( turning it on and off, trying to figure out which way is better)
    It seems to wrap the sound stage around the driver. This is its biggest effect. without logic 7, music appears to
    come from a set of channels "in front of you" close together. With logic 7 they are more all around.
    The quest6ion i was trying to answer is: would playing flac have more of an effect than
    turning logic 7 on / off.

Logic 7 definitely alters the sound, i a way that is very apparent. For example, I hear more reverb, and a bit boosted high range.
    High pitch sounds seem to become a bit sibillant. (e.g. hi-hats and similar acoustic drum sounds) they develop a slight lisp) .
    How detrimental this is depends on the content. For mostly electronic sound I think the benefits outweigh
    the drawbacks, but for mostly acoustic music, I think the negatives are worse than the gains.
    Listening to some chamber music, the Logic 7 makes the instruments less natural sounding.

So I have decided for myself that this pursuit of perfection is a fight that cannot be won, and just results in a vexation of
    spirit. I think I would rather adopt a "good enough" philosophy.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    @coder
    what we are missing is what derickv etc have ... some kind of spectrum manipulator to tailor the sound waves based on where your ears are and where the surfaces are and their material properties over the riaa band
    Now THAT will make the sound pop

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    JMC,

I think the Benz/Harman duo does this to a degree,

If you get into the secret setup menu, the have extensive frequency tweakability options for the
    head unit, and all the current factory settings are not "simple" . They are all set to some non-obvious
    value.s I concluded that someone spent a considerable amount of time tuning the system to the typical
    driving conditions. And, If we want to be fair, the audio in this car works quite well overall.

This is one aspect ( the audio, that is) of this car i really like.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Yeah ever so often i hold the volume button till its nice and loud and all the frequencies are obvious

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The adjustments have boost or cut settigs, and these area ll set to a non-neutral position.
    If he adjustments were unused I would expect them to be set to the "no-op" positon
    (neither boost nor cut), So I concluded that the parametric eq was tuned to the interior
    and the noise profile. But you already knew what I meant -)

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links