How to play non-loss WAV or APE or FLAC music in CLA250 ???
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on How to play non-loss WAV or APE or FLAC music in CLA250 ??? within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hi, I am a music enthusiast and I love the Harman Kardon system. My question is simple: how to play non-loss WAV or APE or ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How to play non-loss WAV or APE or FLAC music in CLA250 ???

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

I am a music enthusiast and I love the Harman Kardon system.
    My question is simple: how to play non-loss WAV or APE or FLAC music?

I have one way, to use my iPhone to play APE music (with special app) and bluetooth connected.

Is there any other better method? Like, to use the built-in 80 GB hard drive?

Thanks.

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The built-in hard drive is the the Music Register feature to rip CD's. I believe Command only supports MP3, MP4, M4a, aac and WMA.

Lossless FLAC and WAV aren't supported.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have no idea about the hard drive. Can I import some MP3 into the hard drive? How? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    The built-in hard drive is the the Music Register feature to rip CD's. I believe Command only supports MP3, MP4, M4a, aac and WMA.

Lossless FLAC and WAV aren't supported.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    MP3 files can't be exported in the HD. The only way to fill it is through CD's.

The 80GB is a part of the whole command system and navi. You have around only 6GB left for ripped music.

I use SD card on mine for my music files.
    meatlover and Rapidfirerob like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

how about SACD disks

It is a major bummer about Flac. There is an apple carplay/android update I heard about, i wonder if that enables flac?

H&K has a blurb on their website about logic 7, saying that it can play multi-channel disks. That would be SACD. Should it?

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    I fixed up a “pretty lossless” 5.1 hotel california dvda disc (5.13gb) to test out the HK system ... not too shabby cuz the difference is noticeable
    Not sure about sacd formats though ?

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Jmc, how did you do 5.1 "pretty lossless"?

One thing that is possible: drive the audio through the analog input, from a hi-res portable player that plays all the lossless formats.
    Hi res players (DAP-s) support many of the lossless / higher bit rate formats, and these tend to have great codecs to boot.

Even if you have a newer HK or other high end stereo, it is questionable how good the codecs are that they put into
    these things. Being able to play a given format is one thing. Rendering it as superb quality analog output,
    you need a high-end codec such as a Sabre.

The aux is stereo input, but the logic 7 surround will nicely distribute it to all of the speakers.
    I will probably go this way eventually. The pioneer player,(rebadged Onkyo), or one of the higher model Fiio-s.
    There is always the problem of where do you get inexpensive high bit rate content to play, but I leave that
    as an exercise for the reader. :-)

Coming in through analog may sound counter-intuitive, but it can be a great way, lots of high end players
    take this route. For example, the Oppo 83 SE produces the best possible sound doing exactly this.

I find that the logic 7 surround works pretty good for high quality content. I play hi-qual Spotify in the car
    and find that the logic 7 works quite well with that. It tends to spread out the sound stage around you
    and seems to lend more audible detail to he individual instruments.

The only time its a problem is with heavily compressed stuff. Then it tends to yield unpredictable, often bizarre sound.
    AFAIK Spotify streams and caches high quallity Ogg Vorbis format, which to my ear is "almost as good as flac",
    Sounds pretty darn good actually. If you have access to their high quality streams ( subscription only)
    a great demo of how good it can sound is most of the Keb Mo albums they have. Their content is downloadable
    ( but only accessible thru their app) so yo do not need an internet connection to listen in the car.
    Modern cell phones often have micro-sd capability, so Spotify content cached on a large sd card in a phone
    seems like a pretty good solution. This is what I typically do .

I have been going though my SACD collection and finding the albums that sound really good
    on SACD and locating and streaming them from Spotify. Most of the "sounds good" is in the mastering and engineering o
    f the content, so well-done content tends to still sound "pretty darn good" when streamed this way as well.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    @coder
    I used to be an audio nut ... my first reel2reel was when I was 4, no thanks to all the spy movies (remember those huge BASF reels?) plus I stole my Mom's umbrella for my parabolic mic ... and in a previous life if I added up all the $$$ spent on "hi-fi" components and systems I could have been Buffet rich after investment ... 8-)
    However I take my hat off to the digital revolution geeks who found ways to "smooth out" the unavoidable analog signal digitization artifacts (our ears can indeed pickup the signal ringing gibberish at the rise and fall of each digital bit hence the old complaints of analog records sounding "better" despite pickup needle noise)
    Now all that said ... the "supposedly lossless" flac file for say Hotel California is 679.391M. Though sampled at 96kHz with 24bits/sample (16.78M levels) for a 392sec piece should be 903.168M so some of the redundant bits were factored out in the final file which is fine just a look up table for the zeros.
    This particular file sounded pretty good using the 5.1 format in the HK system ... the sounds were "all around" the listener ...kinda like a concert stage performance with multiple speaker systems surrounding the audience seating sections.
    So agree ... the HK is quite reasonable when good content is fed through it ... kinda makes sense ... 8-)

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    JMC,

Apparently we do share an interest in hifi. I am a bass and guitar player to boot. I had a couple of reel-to-reel
    decks back in the day as well.
    One of them ( an Akai) coudl do 4 independent track recording, i was using that for music practice.

What I wanted to know : how you manage to play the high sample rate 5.1 file in your car?
    I did not know that the Cla HK system could play any of that.
    AFAIk it only supports a handful of lossy formats e.g.: mp3, and that tops out at 320K joint stereo.
    Which can be pretty OK but very far from true high bit rate suff.

Member #
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coder View Post
    JMC,

Apparently we do share an interest in hifi. I am a bass and guitar player to boot. I had a couple of reel-to-reel
    decks back in the day as well.
    One of them ( an Akai) coudl do 4 independent track recording, i was using that for music practice.

What I wanted to know : how you manage to play the high sample rate 5.1 file in your car?
    I did not know that the Cla HK system could play any of that.
    AFAIk it only supports a handful of lossy formats e.g.: mp3, and that tops out at 320K joint stereo.
    Which can be pretty OK but very far from true high bit rate suff.
    What kind of music do you play? I am the leader of an Allman Brothers tribute band, on the bass. I play guitar as well, though bass is #1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 CLA 250: Night Black, Beige Interior, Pano Roof, Spoiler, Bi Xenons, Sport Package, Burl Walnut Wood Trim, Opticoat, Xpel, Alembic Spoiler bass, Eve IONA bass, Michael Kelly acoustic bass guitar, Gibson J40, Carvin Cobalt 750, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 and 6.0 amps, Two Gallien-Krueger Neo II 1X12 cabs, BOSS TU-3 tuner, Guardian of The Mighty Door Gap.

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links