ECO Light does not turn Green - Page 10
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

ECO Light does not turn Green

This is a discussion on ECO Light does not turn Green within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by jmc 1 - this carbon build up thing is right up @ 07SGT 's warning label alley ... finally have some proof? ...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: ECO Light does not turn Green

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    1 - this carbon build up thing is right up @07SGT 's warning label alley ... finally have some proof?

2 - curious about the SUV more common disclosure ...

Do keep us tuned in! What a mess.
    Couldn't locate @07SGT 's exact reference. Why carbon in only 2 cylinders? This is what makes me suspect the the prior software and it's upgrade. I'm going to ask the service manager what the tech sheet said about the update and why they released it. This could be bye-bye to the CLA. Will consider trading if there's a chance of this happening again down the road after the warranty expires.

Shouldn't all the car companies do all the software upgrades at every service! Mostly, they're only doing them if a problem arises. I realize they do take up time and space in the service dept. but the dealer gets reimbursed or at least should for each.
    Texas Dave likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Northern Al, just curious but is the Mobil and the Irving listed as Top Tier fuels?

Do you have the extended warranty? Lucky for you this was at 45 k and still within warranty.

Could you find out which SuV, I am curious if it is the 240 HP variant of our 2.0 turbos.

How often do you change your oil and filter and do you have the dealer perform the service on a regular basis.

Do you have any mods such as chip tuning etc?

Does anyone else here have more than 45 k miles and anyone else having problems? I know this has been a big problem for BMW also. They don't rebuild the heads their problem is so sever they have rebuilt heads in stock and just swap when you come in.

Member #
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    That is very curious about just 2 and 4 cylinders. If you had a carburetor or throttle body with conventional intake manifold that could explain the issue as they are never quitejperfectly equal and even. Reminds me of the days of tuning strombergs and webers whether they were side drafts or down drafts. But with direct injection this should not happen on only 2 cylinders. Can you ask the service adviser and mechanic if the cause is direct injection, is the carbon on only one side of the valve stem? Are there carbon deposits in other locations besides the valve and stem? Is there carbon build up on the piston? This would be very helpful information for all of us.

I drive my car extremely gently all the time. Maybe I need to start utilizing JMC's Italian blow job philosophy. I know JMC usually refers to it as Italian tuning but Italian Blow Job sounds better.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I believe JMC or possibly someone else has posted this product, see below, previously in another thread.

Press Release - Valvoline

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Al View Post
    Couldn't locate @07SGT 's exact reference. Why carbon in only 2 cylinders? This is what makes me suspect the the prior software and it's upgrade. I'm going to ask the service manager what the tech sheet said about the update and why they released it. This could be bye-bye to the CLA. Will consider trading if there's a chance of this happening again down the road after the warranty expires.

Shouldn't all the car companies do all the software upgrades at every service! Mostly, they're only doing them if a problem arises. I realize they do take up time and space in the service dept. but the dealer gets reimbursed or at least should for each.
    OK ... this is a good one.
    If it's only 2 cylinders that have "more" buildup, then it could be injector issues, spark plug drive circuit problems, etc etc.
    But what bothers me is the two messy chambers could actually be the "norm" and the two cleaner chambers are a "fluke"
    and not reproducible in production ...

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 07SGT View Post
    I believe JMC or possibly someone else has posted this product, see below, previously in another thread.

Press Release - Valvoline
    Hmmm ... cannot recall if I posted this one (probably not?) ... though I do remember the concern of sharp deposits flaking off and scoring the cylinder walls. Would be interesting to get some feedback from folks who have used this stuff ... and see if they experienced compression loss, increased oil consumption, and loss of low end power.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    That is very curious about just 2 and 4 cylinders. If you had a carburetor or throttle body with conventional intake manifold that could explain the issue as they are never quitejperfectly equal and even. Reminds me of the days of tuning strombergs and webers whether they were side drafts or down drafts. But with direct injection this should not happen on only 2 cylinders. Can you ask the service adviser and mechanic if the cause is direct injection, is the carbon on only one side of the valve stem? Are there carbon deposits in other locations besides the valve and stem? Is there carbon build up on the piston? This would be very helpful information for all of us.

I drive my car extremely gently all the time. Maybe I need to start utilizing JMC's Italian blow job philosophy. I know JMC usually refers to it as Italian tuning but Italian Blow Job sounds better.
    Well ... if an Italian BJ cleans up my engine, that's fine! 8-) 8-)

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    With all these build up concerns ... when I change plugs at 20K I will take a peek at my combustion chambers (and hope for the best!!)

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Northern Al, just curious but is the Mobil and the Irving listed as Top Tier fuels?

Do you have the extended warranty? Lucky for you this was at 45 k and still within warranty.

Could you find out which SuV, I am curious if it is the 240 HP variant of our 2.0 turbos.

How often do you change your oil and filter and do you have the dealer perform the service on a regular basis.

Do you have any mods such as chip tuning etc?

Does anyone else here have more than 45 k miles and anyone else having problems? I know this has been a big problem for BMW also. They don't rebuild the heads their problem is so sever they have rebuilt heads in stock and just swap when you come in.
    Mobil is listed nationally. BMW has approved Irving but, not listed nationally by the others as it's a regional New Brunswick company and they haven't gotten to the brand yet.

No extended warranty - yet.

Signed up for pre-paid service plan at purchase - so, I do all recommended services at dealership when scheduled.

No mods totally stock. I drive responsibly, mostly in "E" with "ECO" turned off. Only use "sport" when in moderate traffic and need quick response in passing or changing lanes safely.

Will ask about SUV's as I was considering GLC 4-matic purchase in Feb-March.

My wife has come up with some pretty alarming write-ups on our CLA's will post the link when I get it.
    Last edited by Northern Al; 12-05-2016 at 05:22 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My wife found the following stuff on CLA250's:

Mercedes Cla250 Engine - 2014 MERCEDES CLA250 Problems With Engine

Eye-opening!

• Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links