Valet - "I left it in neutral" - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Valet - "I left it in neutral"

This is a discussion on Valet - "I left it in neutral" within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by Sue Esponte No, if you are driving slowly (I believe under 5mph or so) and then open the door (CAUTION: DO NOT ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Valet - "I left it in neutral"

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Esponte View Post
    No, if you are driving slowly (I believe under 5mph or so) and then open the door (CAUTION: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME), the car will automatically go into Park. The transmission does NOT wait for you to come to a complete stop and/or remove the key from the ignition.

-Eric
    I have tried this at home and confirm it's true.. although it was more like 1-2 mph not 5.

2014 CLA 250 | Cirrus White | Black MB Tex Interior | Premium Package | Pano Roof | Bi-Xenons | 18" Wheels | Spoiler | Black Ash Wood Trim | Illuminated Star

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's impossible to leave the car in neutral. As posted above, it does it automatically when you turn off the car/open the door. I almost NEVER manually put my car in park. I just shut it off and get out. And when I'm ready to go, I don't use the handle to release the parking brake, I just hit the gas. Works every time.
    2015 CLA250 - Mountain Gray - Sport Plus - Premium - Multimedia - Panorama - BiXenon - Spoiler - Illuminated Star

Member #
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The car is 'different' and can't fault a high school age valet for not knowing. Luckily it's idiot proof when it comes to parking itself.
    2014 CLA45 AMG (Jupiter Red, Night, Exhaust, Premium, MM, MBTex w/ Recaro Seats, BSA, AMG steering wheel) -
    Ordered Nov 2013; Delivered April 2014. Engine Builder: Sylvio Muller

2012 Subaru Forester
    2010 Volvo XC60
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
    1997 Toyota Camry
    1996 VW Jetta
    1989 Mercedes 560SL
    1986 Mercedes 560SEL
    1983 Mercedes 300D Turbodiesel

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clallan View Post
    The car is 'different' and can't fault a high school age valet for not knowing. Luckily it's idiot proof when it comes to parking itself.
    He was like 55.
    2014 CLA 45

Member #
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Any way to manually put the car in neutral upon turning it off or after it's already off?

When I was a kid I used to assist some of the mechanics at a local shop and their routine was always along the lines of "Unlock the doors, roll the drivers side window down, and throw 'er in neutral so we can roll her onto the lift and adjust as needed." I'm not saying these are "best practices" or how everyone should be doing things by any means, but it made the job more accessible at times - the fact that the car puts itself in park when a door is opened and/or turned off sort of inhibits that a bit, no?

In any case, it's not a huge deal and will probably prove more helpful/safe than detrimental in the future.
    CLA250 4MATIC Sport Plus
    Ordered/Delivered: May 2015 / August 28, 2015
    Specs: Polar Silver Metallic | Sport Package Plus | Premium Package | Bi-Xenon Headlamps w/ LED Tail Lamps | Rear Deck Spoiler | Rearview Camera | Blind Spot Assist | Ambient Lighting (12 colors)
    Mods: SunTek Carbon Window Tint (50/35%) | XPEL Ultimate PPF | OEM MB All-Weather Floor Mats

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    It's impossible to leave the car in neutral. As posted above, it does it automatically when you turn off the car/open the door. I almost NEVER manually put my car in park. I just shut it off and get out. And when I'm ready to go, I don't use the handle to release the parking brake, I just hit the gas. Works every time.
    That, too, is incorrect. I've had my car towed twice. I can assure you that it was not in gear when it was pulled onto the flat bed. You need to engage neutral with the door open and release the emergency brake. A message will appear in the HUD advising you that the car might roll.

-Eric

Member #
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi45 View Post
    He was like 55.
    High school, the best 40 years of your life?
    2015 CLA Jupiter Red, premium,multi media, driver assistance, sport packages. walnut dash, Bi-xenon lights, and ambient lights, delivery, 12/14.
    2012 Hyundai Genesis, red
    2006 Cadillac DTS, bronze
    2004 Cadillac DTS, blue
    2002Cadillac SLS, bronze
    1998 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, red
    1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVile, green
    1990 Buick Buick Park Avenue, Blue
    1984 Buick LeSabre, silver
    1977 Ford LTD, green
    1975 Ford Gran Torino, blue
    1972 Pontiac Ventura, gold
    1960 Rambler Ambassador, white

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Esponte View Post
    No, if you are driving slowly (I believe under 5mph or so) and then open the door (CAUTION: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME), the car will automatically go into Park. The transmission does NOT wait for you to come to a complete stop and/or remove the key from the ignition.

-Eric
    I know the situation you're talking about, it happened to me too.. It was a moment of pain and almost a tear. Never again, I can't take that again...
    I thought we were talking about proper parking, stopping, turn off etc..

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    True story,..this is how my salesman told me to drive it the day I took delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    J.C.
    2015 CLA 250 Sport + | Mountain Grey | MB-Tex | Pano Roof
    Illuminated Star | Bi-Xenon Headlights | Multimedia Pkg | Sports Pkg + | Premium Pkg

Member #
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi45 View Post
    He was like 55.
    Set... SPIKE!
    2014 CLA45 AMG (Jupiter Red, Night, Exhaust, Premium, MM, MBTex w/ Recaro Seats, BSA, AMG steering wheel) -
    Ordered Nov 2013; Delivered April 2014. Engine Builder: Sylvio Muller

2012 Subaru Forester
    2010 Volvo XC60
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
    1997 Toyota Camry
    1996 VW Jetta
    1989 Mercedes 560SL
    1986 Mercedes 560SEL
    1983 Mercedes 300D Turbodiesel

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links