just curious... how to update the Map on the CLA nav - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

just curious... how to update the Map on the CLA nav

This is a discussion on just curious... how to update the Map on the CLA nav within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by Spp22 The navigation is on the Garmin SD card that is inserted in the slot under your radio. All you do is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: just curious... how to update the Map on the CLA nav

Member #
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spp22 View Post
    The navigation is on the Garmin SD card that is inserted in the slot under your radio. All you do is pop it out and put it in your computer to update using Mercedes Benz download manager. It will update your card then you put back on your car. 2016 maps seem so much faster and improved than my 2015 after update. I did by my Garmin SD card on eBay but I don't think that matters.
    The MB cars sold in US, 2015 models, get the free complimentary map updates. But I checked with MB Canada and they confirmed that Canadian CLAs do not get the free updates.

I am wondering if the Garmin SD card found inside the CLA Nav system has the built in code which is recognized by the download centre, that it does not authorize any downloading of the map updates onto the SD card. Any thoughts?
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mav238 View Post
    The MB cars sold in US, 2015 models, get the free complimentary map updates. But I checked with MB Canada and they confirmed that Canadian CLAs do not get the free updates.

I am wondering if the Garmin SD card found inside the CLA Nav system has the built in code which is recognized by the download centre, that it does not authorize any downloading of the map updates onto the SD card. Any thoughts?
    The SD card has a unique code which is paired to one car and only one car. The Mercedes program warns you of this and checks out your card before formatting and installing the 2016 maps. Mine installed quick and easy. I was quite surprised. This may only be for US consumers though I'm not sure about Canada. I'm originally from Canada so I know how they can screw you out of stuff available everywhere else. Lol!!!

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mav238 View Post

When I had my service A done last month (Edmonton) I asked if the map update could be done. The rep told me that there were none this year and the next available update scheduled for next year would cost roughly $400.
    CLA 4matic 250, Mountain Grey Met Paint, Crystal Grey interior, Ash Wood Trim
    Premium Package and Premium Plus, Blind Spot Assist, Bi-Xenon Headlights, Keyless Start/Go

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yvanchartrand View Post
    When I had my service A done last month (Edmonton) I asked if the map update could be done. The rep told me that there were none this year and the next available update scheduled for next year would cost roughly $400.
    lol $400 for a map update when i can buy a standalone gps unit with forever free update for under $200.. or better yet i'll just mount my phone on the dash with google maps or apple maps or whatever for free.. it's not like the command unit is easy to input with a control knob.. if it were touch screen then i might actually use it lol
    2014/15 CLA45 Calcite White//Premium package/Exclusive package/AMG Exclusive package/NSP/AMG Matte Black 19"/ Illiminated Door Sill/Black Red cut leather/Aluminum trim/Harmon Kardon/Command Aps with navi/Recaro seat/Red seatbelt/Parkronic/AMG performance exhaust

Ordered: April 26, 2014

Production: July 10, 2014

Delivery: August 20, 2014

Member #
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wai_lai416 View Post
    lol $400 for a map update when i can buy a standalone gps unit with forever free update for under $200.. or better yet i'll just mount my phone on the dash with google maps or apple maps or whatever for free.. it's not like the command unit is easy to input with a control knob.. if it were touch screen then i might actually use it lol
    Very true... And its not just mercedes, all car makers will ding you for the map updates. My 2007 Acura RDX still has the original Map version 1.0 because I refuse to pay the $250 for the update , when I have a garmin GPS portable with lifetime updates.

Fortunately, the roads in Vancouver, BC, don't change too much , at least in the more city-like areas, like downtown and the historical areas. Of course there are the new development areas which new maps will definitely be required.

In any case, since the roads in my area don't change too much within 3 years, getting a map update every 3 years on the built-in system, for $400 might be alright.

You mentioned about using your cell phone as the GPS unit, yes indeed, but you are pulling mobile data while using the GPS. Unless you have an unlimited data on your mobile plan, it can get really expensive.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

Member #
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Google Maps rules!
    jmc and yvanchartrand like this.
    2014 CLA 250: Night Black, Beige Interior, Pano Roof, Spoiler, Bi Xenons, Sport Package, Burl Walnut Wood Trim, Opticoat, Xpel, Alembic Spoiler bass, Eve IONA bass, Michael Kelly acoustic bass guitar, Gibson J40, Carvin Cobalt 750, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 and 6.0 amps, Two Gallien-Krueger Neo II 1X12 cabs, BOSS TU-3 tuner, Guardian of The Mighty Door Gap.

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidfirerob View Post
    Google Maps rules!
    I agree 100%, I was looking at upgrading to a C300 or C450 (I know some will say this is not an upgrade) last month and I asked the sales person if and when MB planned to have Android Auto compatibility, according to him not until 2018 on any models lower than the E Class.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    CLA 4matic 250, Mountain Grey Met Paint, Crystal Grey interior, Ash Wood Trim
    Premium Package and Premium Plus, Blind Spot Assist, Bi-Xenon Headlights, Keyless Start/Go

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know how to update the GPS map on a 2015 model ??

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 88RNG View Post
    Does anyone know how to update the GPS map on a 2015 model ??
    If becker its a sdcard if comand its a dvd ... plus the associated vin specific pin code
    European delivery 20140331

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    If becker its a sdcard if comand its a dvd ... plus the associated vin specific pin code
    Not total right Becker is a box you take out of the car and plug it into your pc with a USB cord. And the update it with Becker software you have to download from Becker homepage.

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A5010 med Tapatalk

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links