Transmission Retro-fit - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Transmission Retro-fit

This is a discussion on Transmission Retro-fit within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by Sue Esponte First, whatever they changed between MY14 and MY15 evidently fixed a major problem and it had to have been more ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Transmission Retro-fit

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Esponte View Post

First, whatever they changed between MY14 and MY15 evidently fixed a major problem and it had to have been more than a remap because they've done the patch to my MY14's transmission.

-Eric
    From what I hear on the germangrapevine ... you have to replace the TCU module as well
    (the part with all the solenoids in it ... think its this: 0002702700)
    Of course its the solenoids update but replacing those one by one is a pain so they just swap the whole thing out
    I think I got a 2015 module and new software patch and the car drives very differently (better)
    Sue Esponte and neilman45amg like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm convinced that the problems with the transmission are twofold.

First, whatever they changed between MY14 and MY15 evidently fixed a major problem and it had to have been more than a remap because they've done the patch to my MY14's transmission.

Second, the AWD puts 100% of the power to the front wheels from a stop until the system senses slip and it also won't send enough power to the rear wheels. Putting more torque to the front wheels will only increase the likelihood of slip or allow some torque-steer. I don't know about you but I can sense torque steer from a hard take-off in my car. If the AWD system started with a better torque split (anything better than 100/0), it would allow for more torque to be directed to the wheels without throwing everything off.

-Eric
    Have you tried switching the stability control to sport handling mode? According to the owners manual that sends more power to the rear. I'm curious to get your feedback on that. I feel it improves things quite a bit but requires remembering to switch modes then click OK to get rid of the message which blocks the digital speedometer. It also disables cruise control. Just too many hoops and inconveniences to use it daily. Also doesn't overcome all the transmission deficiencies. I'm basically forced to drive in S transmission mode daily if I want to enjoy driving.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    From what I hear on the germangrapevine ... you have to replace the TCU module as well
    (the part with all the solenoids in it ... think its this: 0002702700)
    Of course its the solenoids update but replacing those one by one is a pain so they just swap the whole thing out
    I think I got a 2015 module and new software patch and the car drives very differently (better)
    Thanks for the tip. I may pursue this option. Can you expand on how it drives better?

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilman45amg View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I may pursue this option. Can you expand on how it drives better?
    Went from klunky, jerky, odd shift patterns, klanking when slowing to stop, irregular take off, etc
    To
    Normal expected smooth operation and definitely improved acceleration.

However though much muted that little 2-1 klink klonk preselect when slowing down gently to a stop is still there and most of us have bitched about it and live with it.

So 2014 motor + 2015 gearbox here 😋

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Went from klunky, jerky, odd shift patterns, klanking when slowing to stop, irregular take off, etc
    To
    Normal expected smooth operation and definitely improved acceleration.

However though much muted that little 2-1 klink klonk preselect when slowing down gently to a stop is still there and most of us have bitched about it and live with it.

So 2014 motor + 2015 gearbox here 
    Thanks for the additional detail. My biggest problem in C mode is ten to twenty percent of the time it fails to give me the down shift i need and expect. Yesterday I was merging onto the freeway I was going around 55 I merged and hit the gas with pretty decent pressure and got absolutely nothing for about two seconds before it kicked in. Basically a dead spot. Terribly embarrassing with the car behind coming up right up to my tail before I got going. Because of this unpredictability in response it's basically useless to me. That has never happened on S mode so it means the transmission is capable but it must be the programming that's off in C mode.

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Have you tried switching the stability control to sport handling mode? According to the owners manual that sends more power to the rear.
    I've never heard that Sport sends more power to the rear. It does disable traction control though and, honestly, that doesn't excite me for every day driving.

@jmc , how did you get them to replace the solenoid?

-Eric
    @SueEsponte.Photography...........@Red45AMG.................@SquishMyRide
    ................................................................................

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Thanks for the additional detail. My biggest problem in C mode is ten to twenty percent of the time it fails to give me the down shift i need and expect. Yesterday I was merging onto the freeway I was going around 55 I merged and hit the gas with pretty decent pressure and got absolutely nothing for about two seconds before it kicked in. Basically a dead spot. Terribly embarrassing with the car behind coming up right up to my tail before I got going. Because of this unpredictability in response it's basically useless to me. That has never happened on S mode so it means the transmission is capable but it must be the programming that's off in C mode.
    Yes ... turns out it aint turbo lag but poor gearbox programming ... however cannot fault E (or C) for being as such since that is its mandate to be mpg sensitive.
    So benzgod gave us S and M! 😋

Uh oh ... I sense Spartacus around the corner ... 😁

Member #
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    M is the best ! :P
    - Campagna T-Rex 2011
    - Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    I've never heard that Sport sends more power to the rear. It does disable traction control though and, honestly, that doesn't excite me for every day driving.

-Eric
    The dreaded limp mode experience last year and SA said lets not mess with fixing just replace and got the OK to execute.
    Benz even paid to tow 60mi to my preferred (sales) dealer and ordered a lambo bed 😊

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

-Eric
    Yes stability control has 3 settings...try it out my friend it's pretty cool in sport handling mode. I just re-confirmed it in the owners manual and have used it many times. Here's a link which quotes an explanation of how it works. It does not disable traction control.

https://www.mercedescla.org/forum/14-...ort-modes.html

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links