Finanly lost the run flats - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Finanly lost the run flats

This is a discussion on Finanly lost the run flats within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; My 2017 also came with the Pirelli Cinturato run flats. No complaints....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Finanly lost the run flats

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My 2017 also came with the Pirelli Cinturato run flats. No complaints.

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yes mostly freeway but, I also get that type of mileage on the 2 lane secondary "highways" we have up here in northern New England.

We have "freeways" (high speed highways with 4 or 6 lanes) that run north & south in New Hampshire, Vermont & Maine. Some are posted 70 mph but most are 65 mph speed limit. There are no "freeways" at all that run east to west through these three states, only 2 lanes (one in each direction). Whenever driving east to west these 2 lanes are mostly 40 to 50 mph speed limits which goes down to 30 mph through the towns. I actually get slightly better mileage on these at around 42 to 45 than I do at 70 to 75 mph. Freeway mileage is 38 to 42 mpg (it's actually higher going from north-to-south than south-to-north).

We have very little if any "stop and go" traffic this far north. I'm sure in the cities this will drop considerably. The mpg stats are the ones posted from the car computer (although the few times I've verified by calculating manually by refill gallons used vs. mileage it's not that far off).
    Last edited by Northern Al; 01-07-2017 at 05:43 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Al View Post
    Yes mostly freeway but, I also get that type of mileage on the 2 lane secondary "highways" we have up here in northern New England.

We have "freeways" (high speed highways with 4 or 6 lanes) that run north & south in New Hampshire, Vermont & Maine. Some are posted 70 mph but most are 65 mph speed limit. There are no "freeways" at all that run east to west through these three states, only 2 lanes (one in each direction). Whenever driving east to west these 2 lanes are mostly 40 to 50 mph speed limits which goes down to 30 mph through the towns. I actually get slightly better mileage on these at around 42 to 45 than I do at 70 to 75 mph. Freeway mileage is 38 to 42 mpg (it's actually higher going from north-to-south than south-to-north).

We have very little if any "stop and go" traffic this far north. I'm sure in the cities this will drop considerably. The mpg stats are the ones posted from the car computer (although the few times I've verified by calculating manually by refill gallons used vs. mileage it's not that far off).
    Okay that makes more sense. If I drive mostly freeway , I get 5L/100km which is equivalent to what you quoted.

So when you post highly efficient fuel mileage numbers make sure you indicate its mostly freeway, otherwise folks would be doubting you. When I drive mostly heavy traffic, fuel consumption goes up to 9L/100km. Especially now in the winter , the fuel consumption can go up as high as 10L/100km in heavy traffic and snow conditions
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)

Finanly lost the run flats

@Northern Al
    Well I am sure the "similar" P tires you had before on the Lincoln were at least incrementally less capable (compound wise) than the newer versions of the P tires you have now.
    However ... the biggest difference in your feel of handling (in the snow or otherwise) would be the fact you are comparing your CLA to a Lincoln ... I am pretty sure even in the snow and with identical tires the CLA would run rings around the other car 😜

ps - I get to toss all sorts of cars around and despite its relatively affordable price the CLA is still challenging me to run it off its rails ... quite impressive.
    Last edited by jmc; 01-07-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    Rapidfirerob and 2katman2 like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    ... the biggest difference in your feel of handling (in the snow or otherwise) would be the fact you are comparing your CLA to a Lincoln ... I am pretty sure even in the snow and with identical tires the CLA would run rings around the other car 

ps - I get to toss all sorts of cars around and despite its relatively affordable price the CLA is still challenging me to run it off its rails ... quite impressive.
    This is why getting behind the wheel of other cars just reinforces what a good choice the CLA was for me.

There are advantages to almost every car I've driven - I found myself conceding that a Chevy Spark was an excellent choice for citydwellers who do most of their motoring (and parking) on city streets. Everyone has their own specific needs and wants, and certainly other cars fit other needs.

The CLA certainly has its well-documented-herein idiosyncrasies and minor shortcomings. But if the looks aren't enough, the handling puts it over the top.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2katman2 View Post

The CLA certainly has its well-documented-herein idiosyncrasies and minor shortcomings. But if the looks aren't enough, the handling puts it over the top.
    Yeah ... I like most would like mushier tires to smooth out the ride ... but every time a high g critical corner is executed and I am still in one piece, I drop that idea like a rock 😜
    Rapidfirerob likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    If only my CLA has my Mazda 3's suspension then the CLA would be perfect.... along with the updated transmission software.
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander,
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwei396 View Post
    If only my CLA has my Mazda 3's suspension then the CLA would be perfect.... along with the updated transmission software.
    Sounds like a project!

Keep us posted.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2katman2 View Post
    Sounds like a project!

Keep us posted.
    I'm not taking on that challenge. Oh, if my CLA also has my Mazda 3's 6-speed manual transmission then that would make it perfect. I'll get a great suspension and eliminate the current transmission issue. One can only dream.
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander,
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwei396 View Post
    I'm not taking on that challenge. Oh, if my CLA also has my Mazda 3's 6-speed manual transmission then that would make it perfect. I'll get a great suspension and eliminate the current transmission issue. One can only dream.
    Why not act?

Surely you've heard of Norvin (Norton/Vincent) or Fiat/Abarth, not to mention all the E-Types that somebody dropped a V-8 in.

Be a part of automotive history!

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links