Apple carplay for COMMAND NTG5.1 - retrofit? - Page 11
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Apple carplay for COMMAND NTG5.1 - retrofit?

This is a discussion on Apple carplay for COMMAND NTG5.1 - retrofit? within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by pbmprc Hey! Following my previous posts, I just found out a way to check the HMI Version in NTG5*1. Just push for ...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Apple carplay for COMMAND NTG5.1 - retrofit?

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmprc View Post
    Hey! Following my previous posts, I just found out a way to check the HMI Version in NTG5*1.

Just push for about 10 seconds:
    - Hangup + * + 3.

Here is the HMI of my 08/2015 CLA (keep in mind that I still didn't ask for any software updates at the dealer) :
    Attachment 63190
    @Emir , @SunsetCLA can you guys give it a try and see what your version is?

I remember seeing a thread where guy managed to it with HMI Version 07/11/2016/19:32:49 (5.4.4. 108396-NTG51-M3-00). To use Android Auto (not just CarPlay) we need HMI Version from atleast November 2016. CarPlay works on HM versions from November 2015 onward.

I also saw in a German website an article stating that only HW Partnumbers that finish with 06, 07 or 08 work. Don't know if it is true, but it seems so. @Emir your partnumber should be an interesting thing to see to confirm this.

hmm, this got a tad bit interesting. I never tried that combo to see the engineering menu. Ill look up my vin too while I'm at it and see what it says. I have to say though, my build date in July/2015 - so I'm 99.9% sure I can't get it without any hardware changes.

Interestingly enough, I had my Audio20 updated (it looked slightly more modern + new buttons on the screen) and the OBD2 module did not work. It could be that my module has nothing, but Im pretty sure its just impossible with my hardware.

However, ill give it a shot.

I was gonna install the JoyeAuto module this weekend, so it will be interesting to test this beforehand.

----------
    Update: I checked my vin and I have code "531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5" and I personally installed that retrofit kit in my car with the new USB ports. I still was not successfully able to get CarPlay with the dongle activator or dealer updates. I asked about 3 dealers with multiple visits. Ill try digging a bit more though.

Ill update you with what my HMI version is if that Engineering combo works.
    Last edited by SunsetCLA; 07-12-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    2015 CLA250C4 Sport+
    Aug 2015 Delivery

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    No, I don't have the AA/CP symbol.
    I'm still trying to figure out what is missing. Like @Emir , he already seemed to do everything right, but there seems to be something missing.

@Emir , does your car have the Comand radio unit or the Audio 20 one?

If you check your VIN you should see one of these:
    Attachment 63184
    or
    Attachment 63186

Mercedes released a retrofit option for older cars with NTG5*1. You guys can see the full details in this link.
    But one important thing that I noticed was this:

Attachment 63188

It is on track with what the guy at the dealer told me. He could only do it if I had the Comand system SA531.
    And I think that was the case with @David170 . He already had that system. And that's why they can do it without much hassle.

But for all of us with Audio 20 SA522 it should have worked, since it is the same unit has other As, GLAs or CLAs from 2016.
    I used a VIN decoder and i was able to find this,

531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5

But as i said before i already got the smartphone integration package installed at my dealer + the software update. After the update i was able to see a new Music Note icon in the radio menu like previously posted here. But still the OBD doesn't work ,all it does is restart my system. I even returned the first one and got a replacement but the outcome is same. I was told at the end there is another update that dealer is supposed to do, i asked them ( and i do have a good relationship with my service manager) he said they cannot do that just because i am asking they need to justify it so they said no.

I will check my version later today when i get home and update here , i didn't know how to check it before
    2015 CLA 45 AMG
    2014 CLS 63 AMG S-Model

Member #
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I think the dealer need specifically activated CP/AA, not just do an update.

Also, i had to pay, it was not an update after complaining about a issue with the firmware of something else.
    Last edited by David170; 07-12-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    - Campagna T-Rex 2011
    - Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David170 View Post
    I think the dealer need specifically activated CP/AA, not just do an update.

Also, i had to pay, it was not an update after complaining about a issue with the firmware of something else.

I think this is it. At my dealer they told me it is actually a thing. Mercedes has details on how to perform this on prior 12/2015 cars but only if they have the Comand system unit.

@Emir and @SunsetCLA already have the 531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5. It should have been an easy thing to do at the dealership, no need for OBDs. It has a cost, of course, but I think it is better than using non-100% successful third party accessories.

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I think this is it. At my dealer they told me it is actually a thing. Mercedes has details on how to perform this on prior 12/2015 cars but only if they have the Comand system unit.

@Emir and @SunsetCLA already have the 531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5. It should have been an easy thing to do at the dealership, no need for OBDs. It has a cost, of course, but I think it is better than using non-100% successful third party accessories.
    I tried but they just blew me off by saying its not possible. If you guys have any good excuse that leads to the activation of this thing let me know i can go and try or the name of the actual operation that has to be done. For example for the radio update i told them my bluetooth was not connecting so they did the update. For some reason they are not doing anything unless they have to.
    2015 CLA 45 AMG
    2014 CLS 63 AMG S-Model

Member #
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emir View Post
    I tried but they just blew me off by saying its not possible. If you guys have any good excuse that leads to the activation of this thing let me know i can go and try or the name of the actual operation that has to be done. For example for the radio update i told them my bluetooth was not connecting so they did the update. For some reason they are not doing anything unless they have to.
    Show them that : https://www.benzworld.org/forums/att...t-car-play.pdf
    - Campagna T-Rex 2011
    - Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I have had the exact same experience. Word for word. At the end I was told I needed to replace all the hardware and it would cost $8k or so lol. I even showed that PDF with the retrofit

And I tried hard to get it all to work lol. I said different things to different dealers. I went to 2 dealers in PGH and 1 in Philly haha.
    Emir likes this.
    2015 CLA250C4 Sport+
    Aug 2015 Delivery

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Apple carplay for COMMAND NTG5.1 - retrofit?

I have a GLA with Audio 20 NTG5.1, I updated my HMI from 12/2015 to 11/2016 at the Merc dealer. Used the OBD2 from Unichip to activate AndroidAuto. I already have CarPlay, no AA, the OBD2 enabled it.

So anyone tried getting into Engineering Mode. I saw Hangup+*+3,this is the maker mode. Got to be careful, don't hit that "set to shipment mode".

This is for your information, so don't go making changes to any values.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible or liable in any way for any content, including but not limited to, any errors or omissions in the content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of any content communicated here.

Push-Button: Press Once (foot off brakes) or
    Key: Turn Once

Engineering Mode: Hangup+1+#

You also can see your HMI Version here:
    System-->Version Information-->HU

System-->Logging-->Enable log marks (this will enable Variant Coding)
    Variant Coding-->Variant Coding-- Page 2-->Scroll down:
    -- Remote UI Applications (you should see CarPlay via USB...)
    -- AndroidAuto Drive Levels....

Also you should see CarPlay & AndroidAuto
    Tel-->you should see a list

To get out just press the ignition twice or turn key off.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by firstdown80; 07-13-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstdown80 View Post
    I have a GLA with Audio 20 NTG5.1, I updated my HMI from 12/2015 to 11/2016. Used the OBD2 from Unichip. I already have CarPlay, no AA, this enabled it.
    Where did you buy that to update? I didn't know it existed. I dont mind buying from you if it will work
    2015 CLA 45 AMG
    2014 CLS 63 AMG S-Model

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Where did you buy that to update? I didn't know it existed. I dont mind buying from you if it will work
    I got it directly from Autosvs, I think they are a Unichip reseller. But you could get it from Alibaba.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links