Apple carplay for COMMAND NTG5.1 - retrofit?
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Apple carplay for COMMAND NTG5.1 - retrofit?

This is a discussion on Apple carplay for COMMAND NTG5.1 - retrofit? within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; So is there a resolution to the question of whether a retrofit is possible for CLA 250s with MY15, and COMMAND NTG5.1? Is there a ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 94
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Apple carplay for COMMAND NTG5.1 - retrofit?

  1. #1
    Pro mav238's Avatar
    Member #
    9135
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Apple carplay for COMMAND NTG5.1 - retrofit?

    So is there a resolution to the question of whether a retrofit is possible for CLA 250s with MY15, and COMMAND NTG5.1?

    Is there a part that can be purchased, and firmware updates required?

    If anyone has this info, can you please provide the relevant part nos.? I would like to have this installed at my dealer, but would need to know the right part nos. for it.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

  • #2
    Friend DHC6Fixer's Avatar
    Member #
    9283
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Victoria BC Canada
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Car play

    Should be able to, I had my MY2015 CLA 45 with command retrofitted by Three Point in Victoria.
    Cost around $300 CDN. I was the first one at the dealership to have it done, so there was a few issues, but works great, now,and worth every penny. They remove your existing USB hub, and install a modified version, and all the rest is software. Get your dealer to call them if there are any questions.

  • #3
    Pro mav238's Avatar
    Member #
    9135
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHC6Fixer View Post
    Should be able to, I had my MY2015 CLA 45 with command retrofitted by Three Point in Victoria.
    Cost around $300 CDN. I was the first one at the dealership to have it done, so there was a few issues, but works great, now,and worth every penny. They remove your existing USB hub, and install a modified version, and all the rest is software. Get your dealer to call them if there are any questions.

    cool thanks.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

  • Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements
     

  • #4
    Pro mav238's Avatar
    Member #
    9135
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHC6Fixer View Post
    Should be able to, I had my MY2015 CLA 45 with command retrofitted by Three Point in Victoria.
    Cost around $300 CDN. I was the first one at the dealership to have it done, so there was a few issues, but works great, now,and worth every penny. They remove your existing USB hub, and install a modified version, and all the rest is software. Get your dealer to call them if there are any questions.
    hi , couple of questions:

    1. What is the part no. for the modified USB?

    2. Does it come with Android auto?

    3. Is the cost of CAD300 include labour and parts?
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

  • #5
    Friend DHC6Fixer's Avatar
    Member #
    9283
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Victoria BC Canada
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Carplay install

    1. PN=1 246 -820-38-00 Car play install kit.(consists of USB head and two cables, one lighting cable, and one Android cable I think....I'm a apple guy, so I'm assuming thats what its for??
    2. I have no idea if it does CarPlay and Android auto? But I thought there are people on this forum using the Android auto?
    3.Just pulled up my bill, it was $291.05 CDN in total. Parts=154.05 Labour=137.00 Seemed like a deal considering it is Mercedes we are talking about!
    Good luck!

  • #6
    Pro mav238's Avatar
    Member #
    9135
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHC6Fixer View Post
    1. PN=1 246 -820-38-00 Car play install kit.(consists of USB head and two cables, one lighting cable, and one Android cable I think....I'm a apple guy, so I'm assuming thats what its for??
    2. I have no idea if it does CarPlay and Android auto? But I thought there are people on this forum using the Android auto?
    3.Just pulled up my bill, it was $291.05 CDN in total. Parts=154.05 Labour=137.00 Seemed like a deal considering it is Mercedes we are talking about!
    Good luck!
    Thanks buddy.

    You said you had some initial issues with the install. Care to describe?

    I am trying to get my Richmond dealer to do the same for me.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

  • #7
    Friend DHC6Fixer's Avatar
    Member #
    9283
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Victoria BC Canada
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Car play install

    No problems with Car play itself, I just happened to be the first person that wanted this retrofit installed in Victoria, so it was a learning experience for the techs to get the proper software installed, it involved contacting Germany for proper software/installation codes etc. CarPlay is far more intuitive than the original command system, particularly dictating tex messages and read back of incoming text messages.

  • #8
    Pro mav238's Avatar
    Member #
    9135
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHC6Fixer View Post
    No problems with Car play itself, I just happened to be the first person that wanted this retrofit installed in Victoria, so it was a learning experience for the techs to get the proper software installed, it involved contacting Germany for proper software/installation codes etc. CarPlay is far more intuitive than the original command system, particularly dictating tex messages and read back of incoming text messages.

    Thanks.

    I just contacted my Richmond Mercedes service and they confirmed that they can do the same, for the same cost that you quoted. But like you, they said this will be a first time for them and hence will be a learning experience for the install.

    I will let them know that they will probably need to get the proper software installed by contacting Mercedes Germany tech folks.

    I have booked the installation to be done the same time as my B service appt that was scheduled previously.

    They said they will also install the Android auto software as an option, which will add another $80.00 of labour. The std installation only covers the apple CarPlay software.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

  • #9
    Friend DHC6Fixer's Avatar
    Member #
    9283
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Victoria BC Canada
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    car play install

    Hope it goes well for you, out of curiosity what does the Richmond dealer charge for B Service?

  • #10
    Pro mav238's Avatar
    Member #
    9135
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I think its a std price, as indicated on the Mercedes.ca website. With brake fluid change + cabin filter change , it was $650 + tax.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

  • Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Similar Threads

    1. Apple CarPlay
      By shaam1993 in forum CLA Problems/Issues/Complaints
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 03-27-2017, 09:00 AM
    2. apple carplay
      By kdr in forum Mercedes CLA Belgium & Netherlands
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 02-29-2016, 07:47 AM
    3. Is Apple carplay std on the MB COMMAND system?
      By mav238 in forum CLA General Discussion
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 10-14-2015, 10:58 AM
    4. Command NTG5 vs Command NTG4.5
      By peste in forum CLA General Discussion
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 01-16-2015, 05:51 AM
    5. Apple CarPlay
      By dave_n_ruth in forum Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 03-07-2014, 10:30 AM

    Search tags for this page

    a2468203800

    ,
    activating carplay in dealer menu
    ,

    apple carplay comand unlock forum

    ,
    engineering menu mercedes
    ,

    ntg command 5 carplay

    ,
    odb enable cla
    Click on a term to search for related topics.
    About Us
    We are a community dedicated to the all new Mercedes-Benz CLA & CLA45 AMG. We offer Benz CLA Pictures, Aftermarket Accessory discussion, Questions and Answers and much more from CLA Owners across the world. Thank you for visiting the best CLA Forum on the Internet.
    Join us
    Register
    If you woud like to join our community simply click the following registration link: Register @ MercedesCLA.org