I still love my 2014 CLA
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

I still love my 2014 CLA

This is a discussion on I still love my 2014 CLA within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; As someone who has been on the forum since October 2013, owning My 2014 CLA has been very special to me. In the last 15 ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: I still love my 2014 CLA

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I still love my 2014 CLA

As someone who has been on the forum since October 2013, owning My 2014 CLA has been very special to me. In the last 15 years I have own three Mercedes, that and a few other vehicles mostly SUVís. I would keep them a few years, then trade up for a newer model, all except for my CLA. I love this car and donít feel like I want to let it go; I like it the way it is. I do not have to drive it that often and the cost of ownership is very low, so it sits in my garage and will continue to be my fun car.

For all you members on this forum that still own your 2014 CLA, do you feel that it is getting outdated, in some way maybe yes, if you want features like Apple Car Play, you canít get it, but the 2014 CLA was very advanced with feature when it came out, such as the use of LED lighting and so much more. In 2017 and upcoming 2018 models there may be features that you may say, I got to have, so is it now time to think about trading in your CLA?

Owning two vehicles, it makes it easier, as you can trade your other car for a new one. That is what I did in trading in my 2011 Lincoln MKX for a 2017 Lincoln MKZ. Now in comparing my CLA to a MKZ side by side, the MKZ is longer and taller, they both have similar engines, styling, a lot of LED lighting, safety features and nice interiors. Are fun to drive, but it may be everything else that a 2017 or later model offers, that are not available on your older CLA. So maybe you have two chooses, trade your 2014 CLA on a new CLA or as some of you may have done or be thinking that the CLA was a great fun vehicle and it is now time to move on in getting something new and exciting.
    Sue Esponte likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by new buyer View Post
    As someone who has been on the forum since October 2013, owning My 2014 CLA has been very special to me. In the last 15 years I have own three Mercedes, that and a few other vehicles mostly SUVís. I would keep them a few years, then trade up for a newer model, all except for my CLA. I love this car and donít feel like I want to let it go; I like it the way it is. I do not have to drive it that often and the cost of ownership is very low, so it sits in my garage and will continue to be my fun car.

For all you members on this forum that still own your 2014 CLA, do you feel that it is getting outdated, in some way maybe yes, if you want features like Apple Car Play, you canít get it, but the 2014 CLA was very advanced with feature when it came out, such as the use of LED lighting and so much more. In 2017 and upcoming 2018 models there may be features that you may say, I got to have, so is it now time to think about trading in your CLA?

Owning two vehicles, it makes it easier, as you can trade your other car for a new one. That is what I did in trading in my 2011 Lincoln MKX for a 2017 Lincoln MKZ. Now in comparing my CLA to a MKZ side by side, the MKZ is longer and taller, they both have similar engines, styling, a lot of LED lighting, safety features and nice interiors. Are fun to drive, but it may be everything else that a 2017 or later model offers, that are not available on your older CLA. So maybe you have two chooses, trade your 2014 CLA on a new CLA or as some of you may have done or be thinking that the CLA was a great fun vehicle and it is now time to move on in getting something new and exciting.
    I've had my 2014 250 since July 2014, and it just reached 30k miles. I still love it. Very little issue with it.

I knew I'd get tech envy as soon as the new model year comes out so I decided to get as many options on it as I can afford. Sports Plus wasn't available in July 2014 but even so the car came out to around almost $47k sticker. Got it down to $44k. I don't regret it since it seems like newer iterations of this car just made some of these options standard with an increase in base price.

I do envy owners of cars with the Sports Plus package, keyless go, and apple car play. But it's not a big enough deal for me to trade up.

I don't know how you guys feel, but the car grows on me. The more I drive it, the more I like it.
    2014 Mercedes CLA250 4Matic

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    CarPlay interface is not as functional as it can be ... my 2014 media interface and Siri do everything I need ... and more. Unless something odd happens I will keep mine. If I find I need a new set of connectivity gadgets there are ways to install NTG5.1 over the NTG4.7 backbone.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

RSM
    Member #
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The main problem with carplay is the limited number of aps that are compatible. I know there are workarounds but they are a pain in the ass.
    -Favorite Cars-
    2016 GLA 250 4Matic, Mountain Gray, Premium & Multi-Media, Blind Spot Assist, Illuminated Star, Pano Roof, Poplar wood trim, Dynamic suspension, Keyless Go, back up camera
    2014 CLA 250 4Matic, Polar Silver, Premium Package, Bi-Xenon Lights, Pano Roof, Blind Spot Assist, Burl Dash Insert. Comfort Suspension
    2014 CLA 250 FWD (traded in for Certified Pre-Owned AWD)
    2010 VW CC
    2004 VW Passat GLX-4motion
    2002 Subaru WRX
    1975 Saab 99GLE
    1971 Saab 99E

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Have had mine since Nov 2013 and still love it. It has 56K on it and it still looks new - no intention of walking away yet. I have driven 2015, 2016 & 17's and outside of the transmission improvements have not felt it was worth the upgrade. I live in the "frozen north" so I don't drive it very often in the winter and am sad to see winter coming as, I can't just jump in and drive it when I feel like it. I did have a few issues with the pano & did need the cylinder heads replaced (all under warranty) but, still - overall no regrets! I guess having a great service crew at the dealer helped.

A few days ago we ordered a 2018 GLC-300 4Matic to replace our 2006 Highlander Limited. It should arrive mid-October so it'll help with mental the transition to winter driving this year.

Last week was the financial week from hell. Had to replace the culvert at the end of my driveway, the workers knocked down the telephone line, 4 out of 5 vehicles were in the shop. Our washing machine broke and my wife broke her molar. All-in-all I guess it's nothing compared to the poor folks in Texas. Looking to a nicer September.

BTW has anyone heard from Texas Dave? Hope they weren't affected by Harvey.
    Last edited by Northern Al; 09-04-2017 at 08:29 AM.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    @Northern Al
    We should start the "loyalist thread despite major fixes" thread 😋
    Let see ...
    Mine was the TCU
    Yours were the cylinder heads
    any more volunteers? 😊
    Northern Al and Sue Esponte like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I've had my car, off and on, since December 2013, and I feel like I'm just getting started. It still looks and drives like a new car (maybe partly because I just passed 20,000 miles), and still is more fun to drive than any in recent memory.

I too lusted after CarPlay, but more for my technophile side than for usability, since I've concluded that succumbing to any distraction while driving in the minefields of LA is a death wish. I crowdfunded Navdy, but don't often take it out of the glovebox because it's just too much trouble for too little reward on short trips.

My warranty expires in December. Is this where it gets interesting?
    traxem and Sue Esponte like this.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I am happy many of you who still own you 2014 CLA and feel the way you do. As for it being outdated, the features that were added in the newer models, really do not add anything to the basic design and styling that went into the original 2014 CLA.

The subject of Apple Car Play has come up and is standard in most 2017 vehicles and with the purchase of my 2017 Lincoln MKZ, I can talk for all 2017 Ford and Lincoln owners using Sync3, that both Apple Car Play and Android play are as easy as plugging in your phone into a USB port. Sync3 uses touch and voice and I do not know if Mercedes uses touch. Having an iPhone and going to the App Store, search on Car Play and most every Audio App that you can download to you phone will display as an icon. You slide to the left to display all your apps. There are way over a hundred, but they are all audio (iHeart Radio, Radio.com, Pandora and Amazon Music) etc.. Not a map app such as Google Maps. IOS11 is coming out in a few weeks and will add many new features. With all the audio apps, I am using it more for Apple Maps. You add or already have destinations setup in the phone and are already ready to be used with Car Play. Apple Maps don’t compare to Google but with the IOS11 update , will be far better than any in dash GPS.

One last thing, I live in NW Harris County and there was a lot of flooding last week. Lucky for me and my neighbors, we did not have any flooding in our homes. As you all know a lot of people not too far away were not so lucky.

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    @Northern Al
    We should start the "loyalist thread despite major fixes" thread 
    Let see ...
    Mine was the TCU
    Yours were the cylinder heads
    any more volunteers? 
    I was without the car for about a week during the cylinder head work. Then when the car was ready, the car wash guy at the dealership backed up into another car on the lot which added another 4 days.

The pano roof was worse, 4-1/2 weeks total on 2 occasions.

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've been on this site since May 2013 and have owned my CLA since December 2013.

I am still infatuated with it despite its flaws. While there are features and options in newer iterations that I would have loved for my 2014, none of them keep me up at night. My only real issue with the car and the only reason I would consider selling it is its transmission. It flat out sucks. Unfortunately, I don't actually like the current version enough to take the depreciation hit and buy a new model. In fact, I even prefer the beautiful butterfly design taillights on my 2014 over the current version (sorry, folks).

If I was in the market for a new car today, I'd still probably buy a CLA over any other cars on my potential hit list. The only other car that intrigues me (and pisses me off at the same time) is the Audi RS3...but I've already beaten the proverbial dead horse in discussing it on this forum.

Long live the 2014. Long live the GAP! lol

-Eric
    2katman2, jmc and tmwei396 like this.
    @SueEsponte.Photography...........@Red45AMG.................@SquishMyRide
    ................................................................................

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links