do CLAs burn an unusually large quantity of oil? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

do CLAs burn an unusually large quantity of oil?

This is a discussion on do CLAs burn an unusually large quantity of oil? within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by 2katman2 Yeah, how 'bout one in, say, Seattle? Help me out here. I go to Mercedes Benz of Tacoma. Next time I'm ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: do CLAs burn an unusually large quantity of oil?

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2katman2 View Post
    Yeah, how 'bout one in, say, Seattle?

Help me out here.
    I go to Mercedes Benz of Tacoma. Next time I'm there ill ask my SA what he thinks.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    2014 Northern Lights Violet CLA 45 AMG
    Distronic Plus, Blind spot, Lane assist, Park assist
    Mods: Gloss Black Wrap front vent spoiler, Xpel Ultimate (full front) paint protection, AMG Grill badge, AMG door pins, PTP Turbo Blanket, pedal commander

Certified Meguiar's level 1 & 2 enthusiast detailer

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    I talked to the younger service rep again, and he explained that MB sets the compression ring at 20K and the two oil rings at 17 and 15, so there's some blow-by; they'd rather burn a little oil than...whatever the alternative
    More fishy excuses to me ... but what do I know I am old school
    Rapidfirerob likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I change my engine oil every 8000 km , 0w40 for fall/winter/spring and 5w40 for summer.

Engine never had issue with burning oil.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NLV45 View Post
    I go to Mercedes Benz of Tacoma. Next time I'm there ill ask my SA what he thinks.
    So just an update, I went to my SA and asked about oil consumption for the CLA platform and he confirmed that yes it is not usually to burn that much oil. He did say that if a client had a concern after 2 "oil top off's" they would do an oil consumption test. Consist of removing and recording the amount of oil in the engine. Then driving no less than 800 miles and remove said oil, measure again and compare to the 1st measurement. He said usually if there is excessive oil burning than you would see evidence on the tail pipe (extra soot or smoke on hard acceleration).

He also mention that the BMW's and Audi's burn more oil than the Mercs if that is any consolation. The Audi 2.0 even have a maintenance bulletin for excessive oil burning that requires new piston rings (basically a engine rebuild). Thank goodness we don't have that problem.
    2014 Northern Lights Violet CLA 45 AMG
    Distronic Plus, Blind spot, Lane assist, Park assist
    Mods: Gloss Black Wrap front vent spoiler, Xpel Ultimate (full front) paint protection, AMG Grill badge, AMG door pins, PTP Turbo Blanket, pedal commander

Certified Meguiar's level 1 & 2 enthusiast detailer

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Yup ... I clean the tailpipes regularly and check for excessive soot ...

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    No oil drops.

I took it to Mercedes-Benz Beverly Hills. The service advisor's reply:

"Mercedes use a quart of oil every 1,000 miles."

Next.
    Lies, obfuscations and more lies! Find another dealer.

Mine is changed every 10K with no oil use. That's 5 oil changes with no noticeable loss.

He probably tells all his customers; "What door gap, there's no door gap - oh, and ignore the man behind the curtain."
    Last edited by Northern Al; 12-29-2017 at 05:40 AM.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Al View Post
    Lies, obfuscations and more lies! Find another dealer.

Mine is changed every 10K with no oil use. That's 5 oil changes with no noticeable loss.

He probably tells all his customers; "What door gap, there's no door gap - oh, and ignore the man behind the curtain."
    I just did my CLA 6th oil change in 2.5 years, and there was negligible oil burning, none that could be observed.

From my experience with other German makes, in particular the Bimmer with the old E60 engine, that engine burned oil like it was water. I would drive that old 525i M-sport at 120km/h for 3 hours, and it would have burned 1L of engine oil. That engine has the electronic oil level gauge, and you can check it real time, and you would see the oil level drop as the engine is driven hard. There was no oil drip from the bottom of the engine. If you drive the engine below 90km/h, oil burning would be significantly less. Something to do with the piston seals, I think. that is why the engine combustion chamber is always so crapped up with lots of deposits.

The CLA W117 engine seems to be quite well built from this respect. and I change the engine oil every 8,000 km instead of the 16,000 km as recommended by the manufacturer. Keeping the engine oil "fresh" will limit or reduce the engine deposits build up, especially in the intake valve for the GDI setup. I think it will also helpr negate any potential oil burning.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mav238 View Post
    The CLA W117 engine seems to be quite well built from this respect. and I change the engine oil every 8,000 km instead of the 16,000 km as recommended by the manufacturer. Keeping the engine oil "fresh" will limit or reduce the engine deposits build up, especially in the intake valve for the GDI setup. I think it will also helpr negate any potential oil burning.
    concur - 5000mi (8Kkm) or 12months ... mileage and aging (esp oxidation) both figure in ...
    Come to think of it ... time for mine though it's gonna be both engine and gearbox ... oh joy 8-)

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Oil consumption - NOT

That sounds like utter BS to me. Consider that the factory recommended oil change interval for the car is 10K miles.
    Total oil capacity is a little over 5 Quarts. The long oil change interval would not make any sense
    nor would it be safe if the car indeed consumed a quart per every 1K miles. You would have to
    add 2.5 Gallons of oil to top it up between oil changes. (about 9x a quart)

When I change my oil at the recommended 10K mile mark
    I am down maybe a fraction of a quart over the 10K miles. (maybe 1/3 of a quart)

I usually fill it to the top mark on the dipstick, and when I change the oil, it is maybe 2/3
    between the low and high marks.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Finally have some oil change data sampling to report ...

- I always measure out 5.2L for new fills

- Over 4 oil changes these are the extraction amounts : highest mark is 5.2L / lowest mark is 4.9L

Name:  EngineOilChange4B.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  128.0 KB

- The high mark corresponds to this dip stick level (~70%) :

Name:  EngineOilChange3A.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  237.6 KB

- The low mark corresponds to this dip stick level (~55%)

Name:  EngineOilChange4A.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  267.8 KB

- Extrapolating suggests the dip stick range is min approx 4L / max approx 6L
    (jives with the manual comments about adding about 1L when at min level)
    Last edited by jmc; 01-19-2018 at 10:32 AM.

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links