Looking to buy in the spring, but have a couple questions
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Looking to buy in the spring, but have a couple questions within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Ever since it became obvious that it was time to purchase a new automobile, I have been looking at and admiring the CLA 250. However, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rapidfirerob
  • 1 Post By 2katman2

Thread: Looking to buy in the spring, but have a couple questions

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ever since it became obvious that it was time to purchase a new automobile, I have been looking at and admiring the CLA 250. However, before I plunk down my money, I wanted to check on a couple of things and figured why not come ask those who have experience the car. The first three relate to how the car deals with ice and snow.

1. Have you had problems with the windows which automatically roll down and up a fraction to allow opening of the door? Does ice cause them to jam up and/or break?

2. Have you had any issues with the low front end scraping on curbs, etc., especially in the winter? Is it fairly sturdy?

3. If you have the FWD model and not the 4Matic, how has it handled for you in inclement weather?

4. 2. Having never owned a German vehicle, I'm wondering about the cost of things. What is the cost of an oil change?

Thanks. Sorry for the questions of a neophyte, but I'm sure you were all there one time.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. I live in Southern California so we don't typically have ice. So far no problems with the windows rolling down/up.
    2. I have scraped the bottom of the front bumper twice since I got it over a year ago. I always exit slowly when going down a small curb.
    3. I have AWD
    4. This is my first German vehicle. Oil Change is $200 at the dealer but it's every 10,000 miles.

Hope this helps!

Member #
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimdc View Post
    Ever since it became obvious that it was time to purchase a new automobile, I have been looking at and admiring the CLA 250. However, before I plunk down my money, I wanted to check on a couple of things and figured why not come ask those who have experience the car. The first three relate to how the car deals with ice and snow.

1. Have you had problems with the windows which automatically roll down and up a fraction to allow opening of the door? Does ice cause them to jam up and/or break?

2. Have you had any issues with the low front end scraping on curbs, etc., especially in the winter? Is it fairly sturdy?

3. If you have the FWD model and not the 4Matic, how has it handled for you in inclement weather?

4. 2. Having never owned a German vehicle, I'm wondering about the cost of things. What is the cost of an oil change?

Thanks. Sorry for the questions of a neophyte, but I'm sure you were all there one time.

1. Never had issue with the windows. Yes the window can get stuck with the ice, but any other car could have the same "issue"

2. I never scrap on a curb, i stay far away when i park. I hit snow and ice frequently on the road, and the front lip is fine, this part is really strong.
    Last edited by David170; 01-13-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    - Campagna T-Rex 2011
    - Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David170 View Post
    1. Never had issue with the windows. Yes the window can get stuck with the ice, but any other car could have the same "issue"
    I'm concerned with them sticking when going up and down, not when opening the door. You don't roll down the windows when it's icy with normal car windows, so, no, other cars don't have the same issue. It seems it might be very similar to starting your wipers when they are frozen to the windshield and would either break or burn out the motor. Has anyone had that problem (or other problems) as a result of this feature?
    Last edited by jimdc; 01-13-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    If they stuck in ice, they jujst won,t move when you open the door. The motor try for 1 seconds and stop if it doesn't work.
    - Campagna T-Rex 2011
    - Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David170 View Post
    If they stuck in ice, they jujst won,t move when you open the door. The motor try for 1 seconds and stop if it doesn't work.
    Doesn't that damage the seal or the window? If not, why do they even bother having them lower?

Member #
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Get your service(s) done at an independent shop, not the dealer. Too expensive at the dealership.
    2katman2 likes this.
    2014 CLA 250: Night Black, Beige Interior, Pano Roof, Spoiler, Bi Xenons, Sport Package, Burl Walnut Wood Trim, Opticoat, Xpel, Alembic Spoiler bass, Eve IONA bass, Michael Kelly acoustic bass guitar, Gibson J40, Carvin Cobalt 750, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 and 6.0 amps, Two Gallien-Krueger Neo II 1X12 cabs, BOSS TU-3 tuner, Guardian of The Mighty Door Gap.

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimdc View Post

I live in the White Mountains of New Hampshire with pretty nasty winters and I have front wheel drive.

1. Never had an issue with the windows yet.

2. I have scraped on high curbs so am very cautious to stop well before reaching them.

3. Front wheel drive handles as well as most front wheel drives. Can be a problem going uphill in snow and ice as after about 20 degrees the weight shifts to the rear wheels. For $2K go for the 4-matic one of the best on the market. Snow deeper than the underside of your car is always a problem. If you have lots of deep snow you may want to consider the GLC300 with higher ground clearance.

4. After warranty use your local mechanic, it's no more than other cars.

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    All modern cars, even SUVs, scrape on curbs these daze.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

• Sponsored Links