Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Flat Bottom Steering Wheel Questionnaire - US CLA Models Only

8K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  CLA 2014 
#1 · (Edited)
After reading another thread, "Flat Bottom Steering Wheel DOESN'T Come With Sport Package?", there seems to be a question on the FLAT Bottom Steering Wheel. Since there seems to be a question, I thought I'd start a question topic. If you would, please answer the following:

1. Flat Bottom Steering Wheel: YES / NO
2. Sport Package: YES / NO
3. Premium Package: YES / NO
4. Leather Interior: YES / NO
5. MB-TEX Interior: YES / NO
6. Interior Color:
State:
Comments:

Of course this is somewhat self-serving since I have not yet received my CLA250. It's scheduled for production on Nov. 5th. I just want to have some info in my back pocket when it is delivered and something is missing.

Thanks for your participation.

#5 ·

I assume you only want people who actually have their CLA now to answer the Poll?

#6 ·
1. Flat Bottom Steering Wheel: YES
2. Sport Package: YES
3. Premium Package: YES
4. Leather Interior: NO
5. MB-TEX Interior: YES
6. Interior Color: Black
State: CO
Comments: Other Specs/Options: Jupiter Red, Pano Roof, Bixenon, NO MM Package; Purchased on 9/28 and NOT customized/built-to-order

#7 ·
Well, I just got off the phone with Robert, a Mercedes customer service rep, with a response on the availability of the flat bottom steering wheel for US CLA250s. Robert told me that the flat bottom steering wheel was an only an option on the Edition 1s for the US and that they were not suppose to come with any non E1 CLA250s for the US. I did mention to him that I have been to my local Mercedes dealership and had seen other Mercedes dealership web sites with several non-E1 cars that had the flat bottom steering wheel and was also aware of several Mercedes forum members that have the flat bottom steering wheel on their non-E1 US cars. He told me that was a mistake by Mercedes and that the flat bottom wheels were only for the Edition 1s in the US. I also asked him a about the fold down rear console and the folding mirrors that the US was led to believe were available and he said that these options were also not suppose to be available for US market cars. This did not sit well with me so he suggested I talk with the Mercedes Advocacy Group. Of course I said I would like to do that so I am now waiting on that phone call.

So, it seems like the bottom line is that US sport package equipped CLAs were not suppose to come with flat bottom steering wheels and that future orders would more than likely come with the standard round steering wheel.

Congrats to those that did receive the flat bottom wheel on US non-E1 equipped cars. It appears you have a unique model of the CLA250. I would love to be a member of your club.

Even so, not having the flat bottom wheel is not a deal breaker and I am still looking forward to my car being produced and shipped to me in the near future. There is always the option of ordering the AMG Performance Steering Wheel from the CLA45 at some later date.

#9 ·
Not sure the guy knows what he is talking about. I just saw several 250s with sport package - all have flat bottom steering wheels. My C-250 Coupe doesn't have sport package and comes with the identical flat bottom steering wheel.
The only knock is the red stitching. It looks bad when the car has white or black stitching elsewhere. My C Coupe has black stitching and looks far better because my sport seats have distinct white stitchings. CLA with leather option will get wheels with black stitchings unless it's the "RED CUT" option.

#10 ·
Totally agree. I'm sure the biggest part of this issue is that the CLA is available in such a world wide market. As such, different markets get different options. Either all options should be made available for all markets or at least differentiate what options are available where.

#11 ·
Amazing that it was an alleged mistake. I guess time will tell if this is accurate.

1. Flat Bottom Steering Wheel: YES
2. Sport Package: YES
3. Premium Package: YES
4. Leather Interior: NO
5. MB-TEX Interior: YES
6. Interior Color: Ash
State: IL
Comments: Cirrus White rules. If it has flat-bottom steering wheel, even better.

#14 ·
View attachment 3062
Dealer literature clearly states *Edition One Exclusive. Why the confusion?
No one has questioned the flat bottom on the Edition 1s; however reading the various posts above clearly state that there are many flat bottom steering wheels on non-Edition 1 CLAs. Are they then a mistake on these many sport package cars or does the flat bottom wheel truly come with sport equipped cars. Still the confusion.

#15 ·
just ordered today, director of sales at my dealer says i will get flat bottom wheel :big smile:

CLA 250 Cirrus White
Sport Package
Bi-Xenon and LED tail lamps
Rear Spoiler
Black Ash Wood Trim
Interior Package - Black Leather
Premium Package
Multimedia Package
Parktronic
Blind Spot Assist

#16 ·
Not sure I understand the attraction to the flat bottom steering wheel but if others got it and I didn't I would feel disappointed. And that is the last thing one should feel when investing this kind of hard earned money in a car.

#17 ·
Interesting situation. So I also just pulled out my order sheet from the M-B computer system. Under the heading of item code 321 it says -
321 Sport Package: Sport Suspension, 18-
772 : AMG Sportline
794 : AMG Wheels - 5 spoke
951 : Sport Appearance Package

For instance, it does say "Sport Suspension", making it sound like you're getting something unique. But that goes against previous written materials that all US cars get the same (sport) suspension. Very confusing!

So I also wonder if either code 772 or 951 covers the flat-bottomed steering wheel we are discussing. Or, maybe one of those codes covers the special front brake calipers. (??)

GAK!

#18 ·
The weird thing is that the whole "mistake" explanation came directly from MB. Perhaps more of us should call in to see if we get conflicting info. It hay have been a misinformed rep. Who knows. What a great mystery.

#22 ·
Just when I was convinced that the Forum could be Life-Affirming ! :shocked: :sad: :crying:

#26 ·
To wrap up all the buzz on the FLAT Bottom wheel, I just received my CLA 250 (special ordered). I ordered every possible package and extras available, to my surprise the flat bottom wheel was not installed, I did much research and after speaking to several people along with the design team of the CLA 250 (non-1st edition) They confirmed that several of the CLA 250's regardless of the packages that were ordered DID in Fact Mistakenly received the FLAT BOTTOM WHEEL. So some CLA's all ranging from window stickers from $30,000.00 to $45,000.00 got the Flat bottom wheel,,, As i told the design Team and Management at MBUSA-Shame on Mercedes Benz for making such a huge Misleading Mistake, Ive driven both cars with and without the flat bottom wheel and for my personal experience it DOES make a huge difference not only in appearance but function as well. (Hopefully I got a real Mercedes Benz engine :) LOL....) So i'll drive this car for a year or 2 and get rid of it, Seems like a nice car so far, Only thing is Ive been driving Mercedes for over 18 years and it seems Mercedes Benz have cut corners like any Car manufacturer, Too bad because it seems like $45,000.00 doesn't get you the quality you would have gotten 10 years ago on a $30,000.00 C Class.

Bottom line Shame on Mercedes Benz for mis leading the consumer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.