CarPlay/Android Auto installation!
This is a discussion on CarPlay/Android Auto installation! within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by eastonenn
Ive tried two dealers in my neighborhood, they cant give me a straight answer if Im able to get CP/AA activated.
How did you get to that screen, I tried the Redhang up + 1 +# and it doesn't work on my screen. Is there a special way to activate it?
Originally Posted by eastonenn
Also which dealers did you guys go to. I went to one in Philly and they said they could not update my HMI.
2015 CLA250C4 Sport+
Aug 2015 Delivery
Hey! Sorry to bump such an old thread.
I'm on the process of trying to activate Android Auto/ Carplay on my CLA.
Info about my CLA:
- Production from August 2015
- Audio 20 Radio Navigation Capable NTG5.1 (SA522)
So from what I gathered, I need:
- A retrofit kit (A2468203800) that comes with a USB-Box with smartphone integration (A1728202000)
- A firmware update to a more recent version.
- An OBD2 Mercedes Apple Carplay and Android Auto Activation tool.
But I still have a few questions:
- At the dealer they told me that only COMAND systems would be possible to activate. Is this true? How can one check this?
- From what I saw, there are 3 types of "Radios": Audio20 (SA505 or SA522) and COMAND (SA531). Will it work on a SA522 unit? Did anyone with a non COMAND could successfully do it?
- I have a friend with a CLA from 2016 and his car also has a SA522 radio unit. He already has the USB with the smartphone integration symbol. If the OBD activators claim to support every CLA after 12/2015 so the SA522 units are actually supported?
- Should we avoid updating the firmware to the latest 2019 versions? Should 2018 firmware versions be the best ones for OBD activators compatibility?
- I saw that
managed to do it in a 2015 car. Was it on a SA522 Audio 20 Radio unit too? Or was it already Comand?
Note: You can see your audio unit type through the VIN (Chassis Number) of your car in this website: https://www.datamb.com/
Note2: For anyone curious or needing more help/information about this, please check this Mercedes Medic Post with very helpful details.
Last edited by pbmprc; 07-11-2019 at 04:54 PM.
I think you need the option "531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5" for the activation.
You don't need the OBD2 Activation tool if the dealer activated it after installing the new USB box.
Last edited by David170; 07-11-2019 at 04:56 PM.
- Campagna T-Rex 2011
- Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015
Thanks for the quick reply!
Originally Posted by David170
Yes, the dealer told me that they could only do it on a COMAND SA531. But after some conversation, the mechanic there seemed to give me a hint that there are other ways to activate non-COMAND.
I'm trying to see if there is anyone that successfully activated a non comand one 😕