Start-off Assist?
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Start-off Assist?

This is a discussion on Start-off Assist? within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hey everyone, I was reading Car & Driver's review of the GLA250 and they mentioned that the car has a launch control. Not the 45, ...

Thread: Start-off Assist?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Start-off Assist? (soft launch control on 250s)

Hey everyone,

I was reading Car & Driver's review of the GLA250 and they mentioned that the car has a launch control. Not the 45, the 250.

Specifically, they say:
    "To access launch control, select Sport mode, turn off the traction control, engage the manual transmission controls, and hold down the brake pedal. With the throttle floored, the engine revs to 3200 rpm or so; when you’re ready, lift off the brake."

I poked around in the owner's manuals on MBUSA and sure enough, on MY2017+ CLA and GLA vehicles, they are equipped with something called "Start-off assist." The procedure is described as such:

"Activating start-off assist (except Mercedes-AMG vehicles)
    - Deactivate ESP®
    - Turn the steering wheel to the straight-ahead position.
    - Depress the brake pedal hard with your left foot and keep it depressed.
    - Shift the transmission to position D.
    - Use the DYNAMIC SELECT button to select the S drive program.
    - Quickly depress the accelerator pedal fully.
    - Take your foot off the brake, but keep the accelerator pedal depressed.
    The vehicle pulls away at maximum acceleration."

Even though this is absent in the earlier years' manuals, I wanted to know if anybody has tried this on their MY2016 or earlier CLAs? My CLA is in the shop right now after being broken into () or else I'd try it.

Specifically, if you follow the above procedure in an older CLA/GLA, does it just leave the clutch disengaged until you release the brake? Or will it keep trying to engage the clutch even with the brakes held? Are the revs held at 3200 like the 2017s?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Benz_Guy; 04-08-2019 at 06:26 PM.
    With regards from Benz_Guy

2015 CLA250 4MATIC | Mountain Grey ext./Ash Grey MB-Tex | Aluminum trim | Premium | Multimedia | Bi-Xenon | Power passenger seat w/memory | Rear spoiler | 17-inch 5-spoke wheels w/Comfort suspension

Member #
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The car will rev until you release the brake. or after 3-4 seconds the race start will be cancel.

https://youtu.be/MvbRgtUU8Qg?t=97
    - Campagna T-Rex 2011
    - Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David170 View Post
    The car will rev until you release the brake. or after 3-4 seconds the race start will be cancel.

https://youtu.be/MvbRgtUU8Qg?t=97
    That's the AMG Race Start. This seems to be a sort of "soft launch control" built specifically for the 250 models. I am wondering if it applies to 2016 and earlier vehicles as well or if the behavior is different.
    With regards from Benz_Guy

2015 CLA250 4MATIC | Mountain Grey ext./Ash Grey MB-Tex | Aluminum trim | Premium | Multimedia | Bi-Xenon | Power passenger seat w/memory | Rear spoiler | 17-inch 5-spoke wheels w/Comfort suspension

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    It was the same on my 250, except the whole procedure to engaging it. Just brake and quick gas to the floor.
    - Campagna T-Rex 2011
    - Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Interesting ...
    When I am ready to swap tires (ie tire burn time!) I may try this “launch assist”
    But I will note for the 2014 250 releasing brake first pedal then punching the accelerator has different launch effects compared to any brake level applied when using the accelerator ... but that was with esp on
    Whats funny is despite esp and tc both on ... the (fwd) 250 spins wheels readily

• Sponsored Links