What gas do you use to fill up your CLA? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

What gas do you use to fill up your CLA?

This is a discussion on What gas do you use to fill up your CLA? within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; I use Top-Tier Fuel. Best prices in my neck of the woods is Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate. Both excellent fuels. I will also use ...

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: What gas do you use to fill up your CLA?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I use Top-Tier Fuel. Best prices in my neck of the woods is Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate. Both excellent fuels. I will also use Exxon Mobil as well. Always use 91 Octane or higher as recommended by Mercedes-Benz.
    Jupiter Red
    Current Cars: Mercedes-Benz GLA45. Mercedes-Benz B250 Electric Drive, 2008 Honda Odyssey, 2008 Honda Fit, 2003 Honda Civic Si
    Previous Cars: Mercedes-Benz CLA250, Honda Civic Si, 2003 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Honda Accord, 1998 Honda Accord, 1997 Honda Odyssey, 1995 Honda Civic EX, 1992 Honda Civic LX, 1986 Honda Civic Si, 1979 VW Rabbit, 1975 Olds Delta 88, 1971 Saab 99, 1971 Olds Delta 88

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At BP up here in north Jersey the 93 octane is known as Super. I wish it had a cooler sounding name so that when I pull up to get a refill, I could be like "Ultimate Megatron Refill... please".
    alexdt256, jedi45 and Rogerrambo like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I use Mobil 93 octane premium. BP's top of the line stuff is pretty good also

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did the math today and pretty pumped that my fuel costs with 93 will be noticeably lower than my current fuel costs, even if the MPG is a bit lower than estimated by MB.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

CLA 250 4MATIC | Cirrus White | Ash MB-Tex, Sport | Bi-Xenon | Pano | Premium | Black Ash Trim

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I use 91 at least. I bought the car so I don't plan on going cheap on it by getting regular .
    Audi R8 V8 Ibis White manual
    'Porsche Cayman 981 White PDK
    'Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Sport Cirrus White DCT
    Audi S5 V8 Sprint blue tiptronic

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, I wonder how US fuel compares to here in Australia. My CLA45 petrol door asks for 98RON!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The web is your friend

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Research Octane Number (RON)

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.
    Motor Octane Number (MON)

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load, as it is determined at 900 rpm engine speed, instead of the 600 rpm for RON.[1] MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON, however there is no direct link between RON and MON. Normally, fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.[citation needed]
    Anti-Knock Index (AKI)

In most countries, including Australia and all of those in Europe[citation needed], the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI, and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Pump Octane Number (PON).
    Difference between RON and AKI

Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane rating shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference is known as the fuel's sensitivity,[4] and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labelling system.
    the_Wife and Geo K like this.
    CLA45 AMG - European Delivery - Memorial Day 2014

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I picked up my car today and the car dealer said the car is perfectly fine with 87. I was under the impression that's its 93 for sure and I never asked him.
    He voluntarily quoted 87 is perfectly fine and that's what he uses for his CLS 63 AMG.
    I'm like alright, I don't know what to say..

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhadri View Post
    I picked up my car today and the car dealer said the car is perfectly fine with 87. I was under the impression that's its 93 for sure and I never asked him.
    He voluntarily quoted 87 is perfectly fine and that's what he uses for his CLS 63 AMG.
    I'm like alright, I don't know what to say..

So who are you going to trust, the dealer or the user manual?
    CLA250: Cirrus white, Pano roof, Bixenons, black MBtex interior, black ash wood trim, prem+multi pkg
    Modifications: aluminum door pins, weathertech floor mats, integrated wireless phone charging mat

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If you don't care whether your car's engine is performing optimally, don't care about taking proper care of your car, and/or don't plan on keeping your car long term then don't worry about the grade of gas you use. The CLA requires premium gas. If you use a lower grade of gas then your car's computer will adjust performance to handle the lower grade. It's not going to destroy the engine but when Mercedes developed the engine, the engineers had premium gas in mind. Did they plan for tolerances to allow for certain levels of deviation, neglect, etc? Of course...imagine being stranded in the middle of nowhere without gas and your only option for a fill-up is a no name gas station with 87 octane fuel only...hell yeah you can fuel up there. Do it every day at your own risk.

The finance guy at one dealership told me he went through a set of AMG wheels on his leased cars every year or so and just used the wheel and tire insurance to cover the cost. He also said he never put a set of snow tires on his AMGs. So, he's driving around in an overpowered RWD car with tires that weren't meant to see temps in the 40s let alone snow. Brilliant.

-Eric
    @SueEsponte.Photography...........@Red45AMG.................@SquishMyRide
    ................................................................................

• Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links