Opinion on CLA Suspension - Harsh or Soft? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Opinion on CLA Suspension - Harsh or Soft?

This is a discussion on Opinion on CLA Suspension - Harsh or Soft? within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by Yoshi Nissan Altima Toyota Corolla Honda Accord Lexus ES330 Lexus RX350 Lexus IS350 The CLA 250 has a much harsher ride than ...

View Poll Results: Is the CLA's suspension harsh or soft?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's harsh (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

48 30.97%
  • It's just right (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

65 41.94%
  • It's too soft (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

2 1.29%
  • It's harsh (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

3 1.94%
  • It's just right (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

15 9.68%
  • It's too soft (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

1 0.65%
  • It's just right (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

10 6.45%
  • It's too harsh (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

11 7.10%
  • It's too soft (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

0 0%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Opinion on CLA Suspension - Harsh or Soft?

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Nissan Altima
    Toyota Corolla
    Honda Accord
    Lexus ES330
    Lexus RX350
    Lexus IS350

The CLA 250 has a much harsher ride than all the cars listed above.
    That's because (no offense) each of the other cars was intended to be driven like a Barcalounger (with the exception of the IS350). There is nothing remotely sporting about any of the other vehicles on your list. The ES is a Camry and even the RX350 is a Camry SUV. Toyota took a car that was already softly suspended, increased its ride height and made it even softer. Riding in a CLA isn't like riding in a big luxury sedan. It is, however, not unlike riding in any other similarly sized German sport sedan. Test drive a 1 series or A3 and see if it feels materially different. FWIW, I think a lot of the complaints are really related to the 250's RFTs (more than the suspension itself).

I'm also urious how many owners who came from or currently own other similarly sized European (especially German) cars find the CLA's suspension to be harsh.

-Eric

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Esponte View Post

I'm also urious how many owners who came from or currently own other similarly sized European (especially German) cars find the CLA's suspension to be harsh.

-Eric
    I don't find the 45 harsh. It's exactly what I expected it to be. Similar road feedback to my stock 911. Ich liebe es.

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TKT_B8 View Post
    I don't find the 45 harsh. It's exactly what I expected it to be. Similar road feedback to my stock 911. Ich liebe es.
    I don't find the 45 to be harsh either. It's funny that you draw the comparison with the 911. I find my C4S to be firmer than our 45 but my wife thinks the 911 is softer! lol I can't win.

-Eric

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Esponte View Post
    That's because (no offense) each of the other cars was intended to be driven like a Barcalounger (with the exception of the IS350). There is nothing remotely sporting about any of the other vehicles on your list. The ES is a Camry and even the RX350 is a Camry SUV. Toyota took a car that was already softly suspended, increased its ride height and made it even softer. Riding in a CLA isn't like riding in a big luxury sedan. It is, however, not unlike riding in any other similarly sized German sport sedan. Test drive a 1 series or A3 and see if it feels materially different. FWIW, I think a lot of the complaints are really related to the 250's RFTs (more than the suspension itself).

-Eric
    yup totally agree

I forgot to mention i also drove a BMW 135i for about 5 months. I havent driven the CLA enough to make a comparison but I think the 1 series while stiff felt a bit better over bumps. Im not too concerned anymore about the CLA though given that it looks like the comfort suspension is going to be available on non-sport package cars. I wasn't planning on getting the sport package anyways so looks like I'll get what i want

edit: you may be right about the RFT. I also test drove the A3 and BMW 2 series on the same crappy stretch of road. I would say the A3 and BMW 228i faired a bit better. I think I may have posted too much on this subject and gave the wrong impression though. While I think the ride is a bit stiff, I was still intent on getting the CLA and it didnt sway me away from getting the car.

Last edited by Yoshi; 06-04-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    2katman2 and Rapidfirerob like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    As I've mentioned before in other threads, I probably wouldn't be thinking about this if it weren't so thoroughly addressed here. I'm mostly intrigued that people say better-riding tires make a night and day difference.

Before I bought the car, I read the reviews, did extensive test drives in two states, and decided I liked it. Then I drove 5 to 8 hours a day across Europe in near-freezing conditions on summer run-flats, and never gave it a moment's thought because it rode like a dream.

I'm much more conscious of jolts in Los Angeles, where potholes and sleeping policemen abound (really disappointed no one got that), and am inclined to agree with those who have swapped out their tires that the culprit is not the suspension.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Harsher than my wife's Honda Fit.
    Sue Esponte and Rapidfirerob like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Today I threw my car around for a bit on Coldwater Canyon, Mulholland Drive, and Laurel Canyon Blvd, and the suspension was superlative.

I admit it's no fun to go over potholes. Of course, that's true in any car I've ever driven.
    Sue Esponte and Rapidfirerob like this.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2katman2 View Post
    Today I threw my car around for a bit on Coldwater Canyon, Mulholland Drive, and Laurel Canyon Blvd, and the suspension was superlative.

I admit it's no fun to go over potholes. Of course, that's true in any car I've ever driven.
    And you didn't find any sleeping policemen in the canyons???

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum
    2katman2 likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    sorry if this has been answered already but does the cla250 with the sport package have the exact suspension as the standard suspension in the CLA45?

thanks

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynamewale View Post
    sorry if this has been answered already but does the cla250 with the sport package have the exact suspension as the standard suspension in the CLA45?

thanks
    Yes the CLA 250 sport suspension is the same one as the CLA 45's standard suspension. (From what I remember at least)

• Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links