Problem: Gas Cap Door Won't Unlock
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Problem: Gas Cap Door Won't Unlock within the CLA Problems/Issues/Complaints forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; So last night I get to the gas station, push the gas cap door and it wouldn't unlock. Tried 1000 times and it wouldn't budge. ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Problem: Gas Cap Door Won't Unlock

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So last night I get to the gas station, push the gas cap door and it wouldn't unlock. Tried 1000 times and it wouldn't budge. People looking at me like I'm crazy. Drove it home,....and tried another 1000 times with no luck. I had half of a quarter tank left & live 35+ miles from nearest dealer so I'm a bit concerned. Googled/Youtube'd, found some videos (none were CLA models though) that spoke to a latch in side panel within trunk. No dice,...I couldn't locate the latch. I gave up and went to bed...............then this morning I went outside and the door was wide open (car was still locked).

Really SMH at MB right now.
    xzatx and Phoenix1 like this.
    J.C.
    2015 CLA 250 Sport + | Mountain Grey | MB-Tex | Pano Roof
    Illuminated Star | Bi-Xenon Headlights | Multimedia Pkg | Sports Pkg + | Premium Pkg

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jc3513 View Post
    So last night I get to the gas station, push the gas cap door and it wouldn't unlock. Tried 1000 times and it wouldn't budge. People looking at me like I'm crazy. Drove it home,....and tried another 1000 times with no luck. I had half of a quarter tank left & live 35+ miles from nearest dealer so I'm a bit concerned. Googled/Youtube'd, found some videos (none were CLA models though) that spoke to a latch in side panel within trunk. No dice,...I couldn't locate the latch. I gave up and went to bed...............then this morning I went outside and the door was wide open (car was still locked).

Really SMH at MB right now.
    maybe ice or stuck got it stuck?!?! .... check the spring inside it. i would definitely keep an eye on it and take it to dealer! good luck.
    2014 CLA250, BIXENON, PANO
    2017 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD SPORT
    2016 BMW 1200GS ADVENTURE
    2017 YAMAHA WR250R
    2015 HARLEY DAVIDSON SOFTAIL SLIM
    2015 TOYOTA RAV4
    2012 HARLEY DAVIDSON IRON 883
    2009 SUZUKI BURGMAN 400
    2008 YAMAHA FZ6
    2007 BMW M5
    2006 NINJA 250r
    2006 FRONTIER TRUCK
    2006 NISSAN 350Z
    2005 C230
    2005 TOYOTA CAMRY
    1996 TOYOTA TACOMA
    1996 FORD RANGER
    1992 LEXUS LS400

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    The gas cap door won't open if the car doors are locked.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xzatx View Post
    maybe ice or stuck got it stuck?!?! .... check the spring inside it. i would definitely keep an eye on it and take it to dealer! good luck.
    Believe you me, I searched for debris or anything disrupting the connection as I believe it's an actuator at play. Not spring loaded as I previously thought. But saw nothing whatsoever. Rules out blown fuse too I think.

Now it locks/unlocks fine but I went ahead and made an appointment for Saturday. My experience (eg - Comand, distorted audio w/SD, gas cap door) so far with MB is less than ideal, while not major it's embarrassing.
    J.C.
    Illuminated Star | Bi-Xenon Headlights | Multimedia Pkg | Sports Pkg + | Premium Pkg

Member #
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jc3513 View Post
    Believe you me, I searched for debris or anything disrupting the connection as I believe it's an actuator at play. Not spring loaded as I previously thought. But saw nothing whatsoever. Rules out blown fuse too I think.

Now it locks/unlocks fine but I went ahead and made an appointment for Saturday. My experience (eg - Comand, distorted audio w/SD, gas cap door) so far with MB is less than ideal, while not major it's embarrassing.
    Same thing happened to me at the gas station. I just drove directly to the dealer, who couldn't get it opened either. They took it back to the service shop and somehow pryed it open. They filled it up with gas, ordered a replacement mechanism, and said come back in two days. The part came in and they swapped out the parts that open and latch the door. It's not you, let the dealer fix it.
    jc3513, Rapidfirerob and Phoenix1 like this.
    2015 CLA Jupiter Red, premium,multi media, driver assistance, sport packages. walnut dash, Bi-xenon lights, and ambient lights, delivery, 12/14.
    2012 Hyundai Genesis, red
    2006 Cadillac DTS, bronze
    2004 Cadillac DTS, blue
    2002Cadillac SLS, bronze
    1998 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, red
    1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVile, green
    1990 Buick Buick Park Avenue, Blue
    1984 Buick LeSabre, silver
    1977 Ford LTD, green
    1975 Ford Gran Torino, blue
    1972 Pontiac Ventura, gold
    1960 Rambler Ambassador, white

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    UPDATE: So I ended up taking my car into the dealership last Friday (9/25) and the service tech could not duplicate the problem. They had the car for about 2.5 hrs, told me that if it happens again bring it back. This morning headed to work, I stopped to gas up and yes it happened again. Pulled away from the pump and off to the side,....tried numerous times no luck. Then just as I put the car in reverse, the door popped open. So I'll reschedule another appointment.
    Phoenix1 likes this.
    J.C.

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Sorry, just checking - you didn't lock your car at the gas station, did you?
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    @jc3513 , sounds like you're not the only one who has experienced the problem. I'd tell your dealer you want a new mechanism. It's a good thing you had enough gas to get home. It's not the kind of thing you want to happen when you're stranded far from home or in desperate need of gas. Good luck getting it fixed.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by xzatx View Post
    maybe ice...
    hehehe...ice in Orlando, Florida in September?
    Geo K and Phoenix1 like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just closing the loop on this, yesterday they replaced the defective part. I'll keep an eye on it.
    Phoenix1 likes this.
    J.C.

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if there is an emergency mechanical release for the gas cap door ??

• Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links