Warranty expires in a few months.
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Warranty expires in a few months. within the CLA Problems/Issues/Complaints forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hey guys, My factory warranty expires in a few months. I was wondering what are some common problems, issues, etc I should be looking out ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Warranty expires in a few months.

Member #
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hey guys,
    My factory warranty expires in a few months.

I was wondering what are some common problems, issues, etc I should be looking out for. So I can have them addressed before the warranty goes and it falls on me to pay for.

I.e. One item I've read about here is the software version for the transmission. Not sure how to check that.

Anything else like that?

RSM
    Member #
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Well your question is somewhat paradoxical as MB won't address a problem unless it happens. If you mean subtle signs of failure, I had a rear differential leak that was spotted by my local shop when performing an "A" service at 50K (I have a certified pre-owned so warranty is to 100K or 5 years).

Then there are the usual plethora of warning messages and other issues that are well documented on the Forum such as chattering brakes with low mileage, limp mode, shaking mirrors, squeaks and rattles, etc. But again the point I am making is if they are not happening now, there is nothing to fix. The only thing that they will fix for you if something ain't broken would be connected to a recall. I believe there is a place on the MB national website where you can put in your VIN number and get a list of recalls.

As for software updates you can call any dealership, give them your VIN, and they can tell you if an update is available. I was recently at MB for the replacement service on the rear differential and checked for software updates on my 2014, 4matic but they indicated there were none.
    -Favorite Cars-
    2016 GLA 250 4Matic, Mountain Gray, Premium & Multi-Media, Blind Spot Assist, Illuminated Star, Pano Roof, Poplar wood trim, Dynamic suspension, Keyless Go, back up camera
    2014 CLA 250 4Matic, Polar Silver, Premium Package, Bi-Xenon Lights, Pano Roof, Blind Spot Assist, Burl Dash Insert. Comfort Suspension
    2014 CLA 250 FWD (traded in for Certified Pre-Owned AWD)
    2010 VW CC
    2004 VW Passat GLX-4motion
    2002 Subaru WRX
    1975 Saab 99GLE
    1971 Saab 99E

Member #
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yes, I understand it only fixes items after they break. I just want to know what I should be looking out for. What other issues did other people have to have corrected under warranty. Just in case for some reason it's one of those items that you don't really notice unless you are looking for them. Like your differential.

But so far, no limp modes, or error codes. No wierd noises etc. It was shaking at high speeds when I first purchased it, but a wheel balancing seemed to take care of that.

I'm just hoping not to be one of those people that the month after the warranty expires the car implodes.
    RSM and Geo K like this.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

A few problems I had

1) Premature front rotor wear/warping. I had mine replaced 2x because of pulsating brake pedal. The 3rd time they wanted a ton of money, I swapped it out myself
    to Brembo rotors and ceramic pads, Total out of pocket for parts: $200, Knock on wood no brake trouble since.
    2) Water pump failure, engine overheat. Covered under warranty. I have a strange engine rattle ever since. Sounds like they failed to put some engine mount
    bolt back correctly, bit refuse to deal with it or ack the issue. " What ? We cant hear nuthing".
    3) Radar sensor failures (multiple) (Covered under warranty)
    4) Speaker failure (Bose, rear left) Covered under warranty.
    5) Run flat tire sidewall bubble. Not covered under warranty, Swapped out the tires to non-run flats.
    6) Several software updates.
    7) Recent bizarre window behavior: the one-touch window up feature stopped working. I have to hold the button to make the window go all the way up. Once it does, it rolls
    down about 1/4" all by itself. I have to make it go up again, and then it stays up. Oh btw, it was doing this for a couple of days, and now it is working again as it is supposed to:
    one touch take it all the way up, no roll down.
    8) Strange auto-transmission behavior: every now and then I experience jerky shifting at low speeds. It does this a few times, then it works fine for months.
    9) Soft paint and OEM glass. Within the past year ( exactly 1 year apart) I had to replace my windshield 2x. First time a small pebble caused a palm size spiderweb crack.
    replaced w genuine MB branded windshield. A year later I was replacing a wiper blade and the arm skipped out of my hands and hit the windshield.
    Immediate huge 12 inch crack. The autoglass place installed Pilkington glass this time which seems to be holding up.
    Paint scratches super easy.
    10) Annoying sqeaks and rattles.

I figure I would have had over 4K in repair bills for the 1st 4 years if not under warranty.
    I would look into an aftermarket warranty. something like Warranty Direct to cover you for another 50K.

Owning this car w/o a warranty could be a problem, unless you know a good and honest Benz mechanic, or
    unless you are a DIY guy. DIY is dicey, the car is hard to work on and the parts are expensive.

Once you are out of warranty, if you set foot a the dealer, miraculously
    you will have to pony up 1K each time no matter what. They can be amazingly creative.
    Esp. on the cla, they expect to make most of their profits on service.
    Last edited by coder; 03-30-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    RSM and jc3513 like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

things to check

If it is a 45 amg you drive, pull off the decorative engine cover, and take a look at the three heat insulated lines that lead from the turbo intake to the back of the intercooler.
    One of my lines was almost worn through( 1.5 years old) covered under warranty, also make sure your merc. star is still attached on your cover.
    Probably worth taking the heat shield off the turbo and look for any cracks around the mounting bracket.
    The above are all documented problems with this car, and probably a mint to fix!!!

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Definitely check water pump for weeping and bearing noise (related is coolant level)
    Rapidfirerob and Bahn like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miami_cla View Post
    .....I'm just hoping not to be one of those people that the month after the warranty expires the car implodes.
    ……………..

I received a letter from MBUSA today:
    "Warranty Extension Information VIN: xxxx

...MB is extending the warranty of the engine control unit software for fault codes related to the outside temperature sensor for the affected vehicles (19 models including the CLA Class 2014-2017), to a total of 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original.....start date....."

Rapidfirerob likes this.
    #1: '14 250 Universe Blue (Limited Ed.) + Leath, Walnut, Parktronic, Prem Pk, Interior Pk., Multimedia , Driver Assist, Lighted Sills, LoJack, Ext. War, Wheel Locks, Random Sunglasses Holder, + (Bonus - Extra Wide Door Gaps.)
    #2: '14 250 Polar Silver + [Same as above] + Pano, (Minus Random Sunglass Holder.)

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Definitely check water pump for weeping and bearing noise (related is coolant level)
    This.
    Sounds like you remember what happened to me right after my warranty expired. No signs of either things you mentioned. I inspect my engine bay every time I hand wash my car. It just one day overheated and then dealership went gold-digging on me.
    CLA250 C4, Northern Lights Violet, Illuminated Star, Bi-Xenon Headlights w/ LED Taillight, R31, All-Weather Tires, Rear Spoiler, Expel Clear Wrap, Suntek Clear Wrap, MB-Tex Ash Grey, CF Dash Kit, Steel Door Pins, WeatherTech Floorliners, Euro Alloy Pedals

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo K View Post
    ……………..

I received a letter from MBUSA today:
    "Warranty Extension Information VIN: xxxx

...MB is extending the warranty of the engine control unit software for fault codes related to the outside temperature sensor for the affected vehicles (19 models including the CLA Class 2014-2017), to a total of 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original.....start date....."

hey i want one of those!
    what is the recall code if i may ask?
    or any "codes" ... would like to look this up 8-)
    Last edited by jmc; 03-20-2019 at 09:22 AM.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahn View Post
    This.
    Sounds like you remember what happened to me right after my warranty expired. No signs of either things you mentioned. I inspect my engine bay every time I hand wash my car. It just one day overheated and then dealership went gold-digging on me.
    yeah i am not keen when aug 2020 rolls around when the (reeeeeeally comprehensive) extended warranty expires
    good news is the mars lander would have taken off by then ... 8-)
    Rapidfirerob likes this.

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links