Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Cla won't start steering angle sensor?

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  pa4ul 
#1 ·
Hello all

I've had my steering wheel off and while doing this I knocked the steering sensor to much I think and it knocked the esp lights etc on and now won't start

Do I need to get someone out to reset with software?

Thanks in advance

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
maybe try unplugging the battery for a couple of minutes. that normally resets the car but if you shorted a wire that's going to be a lot of fun tracing the short.

#8 · (Edited)
uh oh ... even before ignition? that ain't good ... sure seems it thinks some sensor output is out of band ... as pa4ul says try the battery reset trick? but don't forget to reset your windows afterwards (if needed)

but here's the (safety related) thing -- if a sensor is sending erroneous data before ignition, and this reset trick works, my concern is in actual deploy the sensor may not cause the correct safety related system response cuz it's overall dynamic range has shifted and could therefore not save the car when needed ... i.e. let's say the steering angle sensor has nominal output from -1.000 to +1.000 and the car's systems correct for slip and slide when the data is >0.756 or <-0.756 ... but the reset changes the "zero" (home) output to +0.257 which means it's nominal 2.000 dynamic range will limit it's low end response to -0.743 which means the system will not engage safety recovery responses at that end of the sensor's response, and then at the other response end it will exceed the 1.000 cap and throw a code.

still think for long term (and when you need it most) safety have the dealer do a full diagnostic ... hope you can claim a warranty visit by playing innocent ... :cool: (do not tell them about the steering wheel!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.