BRAKES STICK AFTER CAR WASH on my CLA-250 2014
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on BRAKES STICK AFTER CAR WASH on my CLA-250 2014 within the CLA Problems/Issues/Complaints forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hi CLA 250 owners. Do you guys know if this would damage the car in any way ? After a car-wash, if I leave the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By idrabble
  • 2 Post By Picard

Thread: BRAKES STICK AFTER CAR WASH on my CLA-250 2014

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi CLA 250 owners. Do you guys know if this would damage the car in any way ? After a car-wash, if I leave the car sit few days, the brakes stick so bad that they make a BANG before moving. Will this damage the car's brakins system or the clutch?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This will not cause any damage, it's just slight surface corrosion binding the brake pads to the rotors.
    The best solution is to dry the brakes after washing by making a few forward and reverse movements whilst riding the brakes a little before parking the car.
    Ian
    Rapidfirerob likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idrabble View Post
    This will not cause any damage, it's just slight surface corrosion binding the brake pads to the rotors.
    The best solution is to dry the brakes after washing by making a few forward and reverse movements whilst riding the brakes a little before parking the car.
    Ian
    Tjank you Ian

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It's good practice to drive your car a mile or two after a good carwash. Don't let a wet rotor air dry by itself.
    Geo K and Rapidfirerob like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Does it make a bang when you move the car, or when you step on the brake?
    what I am getting at, is the pad stuck to the rotor, or is is rusted into the keyways?

You can check by just stepping on the brakes while the car is in park, without moving it
    and vice versa.

I would be more worried about the former. That means the pad is probably leaving a visible imprint on the rotor,
    which will cause hot spots, and eventually uneven rotor wear. Counter this by driving the car and braking enough so
    that the rotor and pads heat up and dry out before putting the car away.

It is a remote possibility it is stuck caliper sliding pin(s).
    The diagnosis here would reveal noticeably asymmetric pad wear, e.g.: The inner pads wear more
    than the outers. Or diagonal wear, the top of bottom of the pad wears more. Caliper pin problems decrease the
    available braking force.

OTOH the keyways where the pads slide in and out can (should) be cleaned and lubricated with high quality
    (hi-temp) brake grease. That is no as big a deal, although the extra resistance slows down your braking action a bit.,
    and may cause uneven pad wear.

Member #
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The bang is when you move the car the first time after washing it of after rain.
    - Campagna T-Rex 2011
    - Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not uncommon to see some rotor surface rust and pads sticking to the rotors. That's normal. But it should never be a "BANG" sound. That's something else in the brake system getting stuck that shouldn't — whether it's the caliper pins or something else.

After a car wash if you let your car sit overnight, for example, sure you may get a little sticking or some squeaking on your first brake application when moving ... but it should never be a "bang." I would, like everyone else, recommend moving the car and applying the brakes a few times after washing to reduce surface corrosion on the rotor. But if it's as loud as OP is claiming, I would not ignore this.
    Last edited by martonikaj; 02-12-2019 at 01:36 PM.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Well the definition of loud bang is very loose but for this surface lock condition it will sound pretty bad and it rings through for like 500ms so not surprised at the op being surprised
    But yeah after scrub off things should be ok

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Hmm. I wash my car or it rains, car sits overnite, and never hear a bang like you describe.

Front or rear? I suspect front... The front brakepads do not have stainless shims, the pads just slide in grooves in the caliper carrier.
    This design is more prone to getting sticky. Perhaps under normal conditions the pads should be slightly away from the rotor, but in your case they may be
    touching. Is there a visible imprint of the pad on the rotor after the car sits wet overnite?

Is there any apparent reduction in braking power? Stuck sliding pins can manifest as "the brakes suck" type of experience.
    I had a severely stuck pin on a minivan, and I bled the brakes 2 times before I figured out it was the pin. It felt like I had air in the
    system.

I recommend taking off the wheel and checking for unusual pad wear, if the sliding pins can move freely, and
    if the pad grooves are clean.

• Sponsored Links