Smell of burnt engine oil
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Smell of burnt engine oil within the CLA Problems/Issues/Complaints forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hi there, I do not have too much technical or mechanical knowledge. I will try to describe my issue in plain language. Hopefully, it will ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Geo K
  • 1 Post By 2katman2
  • 1 Post By jmc
  • 2 Post By BarberSon
  • 1 Post By Geo K

Thread: Smell of burnt engine oil

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi there,

I do not have too much technical or mechanical knowledge. I will try to describe my issue in plain language. Hopefully, it will make sense.
    I have recently purchased a CLA200 (2018). I have noticed that if I drive it in sports mode (both engine and steering in sports mode), sometimes it smells awful when I come back home. I used to own a car which had issue of engine oil leake, it used to smell all the time. My mechanic told me that thats the smell of burning engine oil. I reckon the smell is pretty much similler.
    I have only smelt that smell a couple of time from my CLA200 and it does not smell all the time. I have got all sorts of warranty. I think it will hard for me to show those guys my problem as it does nto smell all the time.

What do you guys think? Should I go back to my dealer?

Regards,

Ferdows

Member #
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdows View Post
    Hi there,

….What do you guys think? Should I go back to my dealer?
    ……………….

Yes,
    Make an appointment for a loaner and go to the dealer.
    You could open the hood and look for wet spots and smoke, but that comes with the warranty - let the dealer trouble shoot for you.
    Come back here and let us know the outcome.
    __
    What city are you near?
    Rapidfirerob and Ferdows like this.
    #1: '14 250 Universe Blue (Limited Ed.) + Leath, Walnut, Parktronic, Prem Pk, Interior Pk., Multimedia , Driver Assist, Lighted Sills, LoJack, Ext. War, Wheel Locks, Random Sunglasses Holder, + (Bonus - Extra Wide Door Gaps.)
    #2: '14 250 Polar Silver + [Same as above] + Pano, (Minus Random Sunglass Holder.)

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I once had a situation where whoever did an oil change overfilled it, and there was considerable overflow in the engine compartment.

You could at the very least look around with a flashlight before making the trek to dealer; and be sure to check that your dipstick is properly seated.
    Ferdows likes this.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Maybe do a static check?
    Start and warm up at idle for 15min ... open hood and sniff around for any trouble spots
    Close hood
    Ramp to 4500rpm and hold for 30sec ... then back to idle and open hood to check as before
    If theres blow by or bad internals or something odd it may show up
    Now if you drive like grandma in E mode (<2000rpm in all gears) there are no burnt oil smells at all?
    Ferdows likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo K View Post
    ……………….

Yes,
    You could open the hood and look for wet spots and smoke, but that comes with the warranty - let the dealer trouble shoot for you.
    __
    What city are you near?
    ………………………………………………………………..
    Also, today at 5:53am,
    NHTSA issued recalls # 19V063 and 19V101 for Hyundai & Kia's "Oil leaks may cause stall or fire"
    Clearly MB is not involved, but it illustrates the critical nature of oil leaks.

#1: '14 250 Universe Blue (Limited Ed.) + Leath, Walnut, Parktronic, Prem Pk, Interior Pk., Multimedia , Driver Assist, Lighted Sills, LoJack, Ext. War, Wheel Locks, Random Sunglasses Holder, + (Bonus - Extra Wide Door Gaps.)
    #2: '14 250 Polar Silver + [Same as above] + Pano, (Minus Random Sunglass Holder.)

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have a Oil leak as well and I think it is my Turbo OIL Feed I need to get it looked at soon! the oil accumulated on the front passenger where the Block meets the Head and drips on to my Down pipe and smells, but no smoke, so we get the plugs and inside with a camera and no oil so Head gasket was good! keep us updated!
    Geo K and Ferdows like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarberSon View Post
    ...I need to get it looked at soon!
    ..………….
    Correct.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo K View Post
    ……………….

Yes,
    __
    What city are you near?
    Hi there,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my extremely delayed response. I live in Perth, Western Australia. I will contact my dealer. Thank you

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Maybe do a static check?
    Start and warm up at idle for 15min ... open hood and sniff around for any trouble spots
    Close hood
    Ramp to 4500rpm and hold for 30sec ... then back to idle and open hood to check as before
    If theres blow by or bad internals or something odd it may show up
    Now if you drive like grandma in E mode (<2000rpm in all gears) there are no burnt oil smells at all?
    Hi there,
    Thank you for your suggestion. I will follow your instruction. I usually drive it in comfort mode. I haven't smelt anything after driving in comfort mode. Cheers

• Sponsored Links