New owner of the 2019 CLA in the French Riviera
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

New owner of the 2019 CLA in the French Riviera

This is a discussion on New owner of the 2019 CLA in the French Riviera within the Introductions forums, part of the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance category; Hello guys and gals, Thanks for having me here ! I'm almost the proud owner of a new 2019 CLA ! I ordered the car ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New owner of the 2019 CLA in the French Riviera

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mercedes Logo Flat New owner of the 2019 CLA in the French Riviera

Hello guys and gals,

Thanks for having me here !

I'm almost the proud owner of a new 2019 CLA ! I ordered the car the day the orders opened but it won't be delivered until end of June (sight)

It's a Digital White CLA 250 4Matic Progressive line with every single option available.

I've been driving a Tesla Model S since 2014 after a long list of BMW 5 Series and even an Audi A6.

It's my first venture in the Mecedes universe so i'll be needing lots and lots of advice from you ! 😉

The deciding factor was MBUX which i discovered at CES and it really blew my mind !!! I wasn't a fan of the Command interface but MBUX is years ahead of the competition and i'm really looking forward to trying it.

Warm regards to you all !!!

Elie

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    An MBUX fan!
    You actually dropped into CES? Must have been a zoo ...

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Welcome! I dont agree with tech part, my cousin have a 2019 tesla and the tech on it is far ahead of mbux of any sort. The new mbux is a static system and it will receive no updates OR MB will charge you good $$$ for updates, where tesla upgrades theirs almost every week for free. Not to mention the hit or miss MB Me app . Also my cousins tesla ordered a defective part by itself last week! It said it detected it auto and its already ordered and on its way to the service center! how sick is that haha
    Last edited by Emir; 05-11-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    2015 CLA 45 AMG
    2014 CLS 63 AMG S-Model

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tesla car : dear owner your right foot is not engaging enough ... i will order a new one for you ... please get it installed at your doctors office next week ... else i will lock you out

Emir and DrOzCLA like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Welcome, Elie06, and pay no attention to the men behind the curtain.

It will be very interesting to hear how your new car compares.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    An MBUX fan!
    You actually dropped into CES? Must have been a zoo ...
    Well, i've been going to CES for years (i work in the computer's industry) but i have to agree that it's getting crazier and crazier... 😉

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emir View Post
    Welcome! I dont agree with tech part, my cousin have a 2019 tesla and the tech on it is far ahead of mbux of any sort. The new mbux is a static system and it will receive no updates OR MB will charge you good $$$ for updates, where tesla upgrades theirs almost every week for free. Not to mention the hit or miss MB Me app . Also my cousins tesla ordered a defective part by itself last week! It said it detected it auto and its already ordered and on its way to the service center! how sick is that haha
    Altough i respect your opinion, i beg to differ on the subject.

I was very involved Tesla's system software and a member of their Beta program. I'm also an admin of the French Tesla's users club with 5500 members. I wrote a 30 pages document on Tesla's software improvements that was sent to Jerome Guillen (Tesla's Autos President) and there's even an icon on every Tesla that is completely my doing, so i think i know a little bit about the subject 😉

Teslas are wonderful cars and a big success worldwide, but the UI (User Interface) is not a big priority for the moment. Elon's Master plan was to get enough money with the S to be able to start the 3 program and make enough money on it to make the company profitable. There were features planned in 2014 that are still on the drawing board and promises with firm release dates that were not kept and that may never be implemented... so after 5 years i was getting tired of driving the same minimalistic B&W interface that doesn't even support browsing of phone contacts or Apple's Carplay.

You have to understand that for me, and you might disagree, what counts is the things that i see and touch when i'ml driving. When i'm in my car, i don't see the exterior however nice it might be.

Now regarding MBUX, i talked to the engineers and some of the members in charge of the development in Palo Alto and Munich and i can tell you that it is definitely an evolving system with OTA (Over The Air) software updates. As you may know, The MBUX from the A Class is not the same that the one on the CLA or the GLE and some of the features will be available on the A Class in 2019.

Finally, and before deciding, i did a complete comparative survey of the existing systems available in the Market in 2019 and Between Tesla, BMW, Audi VW and Marcedes (to name a few) MBUX is the clear winner by far... in my opinion.

Mercedes understood that getting all the new bells and whistles on the S class and then trickling them down the line was a mistake because many S class owners sit in the back and are more interested in comfort than technology . Mercedes were looking to expand their market on the young technology savvy customers and so they started MBUX in the A Class and they will move it up the line, which is a brilliant move that the other manufacturers haven't done yet.

If a newcomer ups the ante (like maybe Byton one day) i'll consider them for my next car in a few years.

Sorry for the long reply but i wanted to explain why i chose the CLA.

It's not the shape (although i like it a lot), it's not even the engine (electric or petrol i don't care as long as it's not Diesel)... it's the electronics and the user interface that does it for me ! 😊

Kind regards,

Elie

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elie06 View Post
    Altough i respect your opinion, i beg to differ on the subject.

I was very involved Tesla's system software and a member of their Beta program. I'm also an admin of the French Tesla's users club with 5500 members. I wrote a 30 pages document on Tesla's software improvements that was sent to Jerome Guillen (Tesla's Autos President) and there's even an icon on every Tesla that is completely my doing, so i think i know a little bit about the subject 

Teslas are wonderful cars and a big success worldwide, but the UI (User Interface) is not a big priority for the moment. Elon's Master plan was to get enough money with the S to be able to start the 3 program and make enough money on it to make the company profitable. There were features planned in 2014 that are still on the drawing board and promises with firm release dates that were not kept and that may never be implemented... so after 5 years i was getting tired of driving the same minimalistic B&W interface that doesn't even support browsing of phone contacts or Apple's Carplay.

You have to understand that for me, and you might disagree, what counts is the things that i see and touch when i'ml driving. When i'm in my car, i don't see the exterior however nice it might be.

Now regarding MBUX, i talked to the engineers and some of the members in charge of the development in Palo Alto and Munich and i can tell you that it is definitely an evolving system with OTA (Over The Air) software updates. As you may know, The MBUX from the A Class is not the same that the one on the CLA or the GLE and some of the features will be available on the A Class in 2019.

Finally, and before deciding, i did a complete comparative survey of the existing systems available in the Market in 2019 and Between Tesla, BMW, Audi VW and Marcedes (to name a few) MBUX is the clear winner by far... in my opinion.

Mercedes understood that getting all the new bells and whistles on the S class and then trickling them down the line was a mistake because many S class owners sit in the back and are more interested in comfort than technology . Mercedes were looking to expand their market on the young technology savvy customers and so they started MBUX in the A Class and they will move it up the line, which is a brilliant move that the other manufacturers haven't done yet.

If a newcomer ups the ante (like maybe Byton one day) i'll consider them for my next car in a few years.

Sorry for the long reply but i wanted to explain why i chose the CLA.

It's not the shape (although i like it a lot), it's not even the engine (electric or petrol i don't care as long as it's not Diesel)... it's the electronics and the user interface that does it for me ! 

Kind regards,

Elie
    Hi Ellie,

Let me start by saying congrats again and you made a good choice i love my 45!!

But if we talk about the other part,

I completely respect your opinion,

Although i still disagree and want to make some points,

Apple Carplay is a mediocre system that is nowhere near perfect and almost every car have it now so its not a special feature of MBUX. TBH, It's an extra step to connect your phone with a cable so its nearly useless in almost every car for short trips.

For the over the air updates, lets be honest you will be waiting for a long time for that to happen. You will probably sell your car / trade-in before MB start releasing 500$ worth of over the air updates. Talking to engineers will get you no definite information ( i am one ) as they are not the ones deciding anything. It could be in 3-4 years or 2 years. And i can guarantee you when that happens it will cost $$$ for each update, otherwise MB would advertise it saying 'UPDATES!!!' when selling the new A Class.

Now let's come to Tesla's software, i'm sorry but none of your points prove anything about Tesla's software being worst than the MBUX. I've driven a tesla for some time and i've experienced the system very closely. I've been to both spacex and tesla offices and i have seen how tech oriented they are. We are talking about a couple years old car company whose Autopilot is 10x better than the shitty distronic MB have which they charge a good $$$$ for. No excuses can be made on MB part with the resources they have. And in the upcoming years when Tesla releases their full self driving, i can't imagine.

Oh on top of all this, i have to tell you that just because MB added some fancy changing menu's and some visuals doesn't make it better unfortunately. We need to talk about functionality, having carplay/android auto or having gauges on the screen is nothing special, audi been having them for years. Let's not mention that MBUX cluster still can't display the navigation on the cluster instead of the gauges while audi can. I still prefer audis virtual cockpit.

At the end, You have to understand that MB is almost a 100 year old car company where Tesla is nowhere close to it yet we are still discussing whose tech is better. That should tell you something
    2015 CLA 45 AMG
    2014 CLS 63 AMG S-Model

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Well let me chime in a couple points ... just my experiences

During extended weekend test drives of S and X the autopilot scared the heck out of me ... it aims straight for the concrete divider every time I hit a merge path regardless of freeway system ... I can see why how some of the newsworthy crashes occurred. Scariest part is when I correct to avoid the divider it retargets it. Both S and X did the same thing. Brought it up to an “engineer” at the back office and he noted several folks said the same thing (yikes!!) but the issue will propagate up the chain however no fix date defined ... that was more than 6 months ago and you guessed it I aint buying one anytime soon. Good grief.

And after all the fancy large screens and displays and what not ... not to mention all the fingerprints which constantly distract (pisses me off) and need cleaning ... I felt at home and so much more comfy when I relaxed back into my cla with its old world needle gauges and floating tablet screen

I dunno ... for the cost of the teslas ... I expect a hell of a lot more ... but thats just me

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    BTW ... gauges and displays are not the priority at 150mph ... nice thing about needles is you dont have to read anything you just know where they are and when they peg the scale.

“Officer I swear when I hit the deer I was only going 73mph cuz I read the number before I saw it .....”

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links