Are the extra insurance packages worth it?
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Are the extra insurance packages worth it? within the CLA Purchasing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hello: I got my CLA250 on Monday. I am still enjoying the honey moon effect However I wanted to discuss a few things regarding pricing ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Are the extra insurance packages worth it?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello:

I got my CLA250 on Monday. I am still enjoying the honey moon effect

However I wanted to discuss a few things regarding pricing and extras they offer at the moment of the pick up.

The salesman tried to offer me several extended warranties and extra insurances which I wasn't sure I? wanted all of them.

So I ended up picking (all of them for 5 years):

1. Free maintenance for 5 years (around U$S 2,000)
    2. Tire and wheel replacement (around U$S 1,700)
    3. Paint protect (around U$S 700)
    4. Windshield replacement (around U$S 700)

Now the questions..

a. I suppose #1 is kind of mandatory for peace of mind and price assurance, right?
    b. Are #2, #3 and #4 really worth it? Does it make sense to pay for these warranties?
    c. Does anyone know what kind of insurance they provide for #3? Is it any kind of scratches or it has to be something in particular?
    d. Isn't windshield insurance already paid by the regular (I have Geico) companies? Am I paying for these twice?
    e. Can any of these be opted out at any time or once I singed I am stick to them for the 5 year term?

Thank you all!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pepeanto View Post
    Hello:

I got my CLA250 on Monday. I am still enjoying the honey moon effect

However I wanted to discuss a few things regarding pricing and extras they offer at the moment of the pick up.

The salesman tried to offer me several extended warranties and extra insurances which I wasn't sure I? wanted all of them.

So I ended up picking (all of them for 5 years):

1. Free maintenance for 5 years (around U$S 2,000)
    2. Tire and wheel replacement (around U$S 1,700)
    3. Paint protect (around U$S 700)
    4. Windshield replacement (around U$S 700)

Now the questions..

a. I suppose #1 is kind of mandatory for peace of mind and price assurance, right?
    b. Are #2, #3 and #4 really worth it? Does it make sense to pay for these warranties?
    c. Does anyone know what kind of insurance they provide for #3? Is it any kind of scratches or it has to be something in particular?
    d. Isn't windshield insurance already paid by the regular (I have Geico) companies? Am I paying for these twice?
    e. Can any of these be opted out at any time or once I singed I am stick to them for the 5 year term?

Thank you all!
    My guy told me you can cancel any of these coverages at any point and they would refund you the prorated amount. With that having been said, my guy told me the paint one was a waste because these days your paint is basically a plastic wrap around your car. He said to scratch your car would really take some effort. He tried to sell me maintenance, but when I saw what they do for the first few maintenances I figure I can get a good mechanic to do that stuff. The one he really tried to sell me on was the tire and wheel one, and I'm still torn. I'm going back to today for something and they said I could still get the tire and wheel if I wanted to and I'm just not sure about it. He actually dropped price for me down to $900 which is nice, but still I'm so lost. He said cause my tires are so low pro, I would need it in case I cracked my rim, but I have no idea how common that is.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    $2000 seems like a lot for 5 years of maintenance. Is this typical? I know BMW/Audi have similar deals, are they in that range as well?

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Run while you can!!! They could probably lease you the car for $00.99/month with no money down, and still make money on those "insurance" packages.
    milazzo and TUXEDO CAT like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, you are all saying I should get rid of all of them including the maintenance?

I just called geico regarding the windshield they told me that if anything happens to it and I need to replace it I would have to pay the premium (which in mine is 500) and they would cover the rest. So, I suppose that getting rid of the windshield insurance would not be a smart move because in this case is 720 for 5 years and I can get it replaced as many times as I want, right?

Now, If during the warranty time I go to a different dealer for regular maintenance, would that void any warranty on the car? How does it work?

Regarding the tires I checked TireRack and found that the whole set of tires (4) would cost less than U$S 900 dollars. Similar with the rims. I am really thinking about ditching the tire/wheels and pain insurance. Nor sure about the maintenance though. What do usually mercedes benz owner choose regarding maintenance? (you can tell this is my first mercedes )

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pepeanto View Post
    So, you are all saying I should get rid of all of them including the maintenance?

I just called geico regarding the windshield they told me that if anything happens to it and I need to replace it I would have to pay the premium (which in mine is 500) and they would cover the rest. So, I suppose that getting rid of the windshield insurance would not be a smart move because in this case is 720 for 5 years and I can get it replaced as many times as I want, right?

Now, If during the warranty time I go to a different dealer for regular maintenance, would that void any warranty on the car? How does it work?

Regarding the tires I checked TireRack and found that the whole set of tires (4) would cost less than U$S 900 dollars. Similar with the rims. I am really thinking about ditching the tire/wheels and pain insurance. Nor sure about the maintenance though. What do usually mercedes benz owner choose regarding maintenance? (you can tell this is my first mercedes )
    Slow down bro. I have geico over 20 years now. If you have glass coverage you pay nada. I've went through 4 windshields in the past 3 years. Also when you buy or lease you have up till 15k miles to get geico's warranty that covers your car for x amount of miles and can be used when out of warranty. Call them and inquire.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app
    14' CLA 45

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Glass coverage will vary by state.
    In NY I was covered. In Alaska and here in Alabama, no glass coverage - too many rocks flying around and therefore too many people driving around with glass that should have long ago been replaced.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got the tire insurance as well but really wondering about it..any other thoughts?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just called my dealership asking if I could change any of the extras I got. Either by cancelling some or changing the time range. The guy was very rude and said I cannot do that once it has been signed. I hate salesman. They are nice to you before buying, after that they treat you like shit. I never trust them for any purchase I make. This time, I tried to be really cold about what to pick and what not to but since I am new to MB I had no idea about cost/benefit about each thing the guy was offering. Now that 1 day later I did my research and compared I want to kill myself.

Is it really true you cannot change any of these or the guy is just an asshole? Does any of you have any experience with that?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    he's an ass! Your car that you order will have periods of time that you can switch (I just changed today) If your car is green you can change anything, yellow I think you can still change a lot. Once it goes into red status, I don't think you can change anything because its being built.

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links