Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seriously considered the 335i ?

After you build them out, they run about 5,000 cheaper (MSRP) than a cla45 (if you similarly spec them huge or small still close to $5-7k difference)

But then you add in the fact 335's are selling under sticker price by 10% + according to true price, and forums it seems.

So the 335 i built for 50k sells for 44-45k, the cla i built to 54k sells at msrp

can someone chime in ? is this math true?

335 has 300hp and can be tuned to 350+ with a $500 tune . . .

i would get rear wheel drive most likely .. the m sport package would be a must for me

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am having the same problem. CLA 250 vs 328i fully loaded with msport package.

Lease comes out the same even though the 328i is fully loaded with over $49K MSRP. I am talking rear view cameera, top view camera, havigation, premium, xenon, harmon kardon, and more etc...

oh and this is vs a cla that is only $36k MSRP

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I haven't looked at the RWD model but I have seriously considered a 335i xDrive MSport.

Here's what I will say...

1. The engine is brilliant.
2. The interior was a real let down.
3. The car handled well but it felt more portly than prior generations of the 3...like it ate too much for Thanksgiving dinner the night before and still had a bit of a food hangover the next day. Most people would hit me on the forehead and tell me I'm nuts. I preferred the S4.
4. The MSport styling does a lot to enhance the car's appearance and I've always loved Estoril Blue BUT the 3's evolutionary styling is starting to look stale to me. Having a 4-Series on the showroom floor next to it will only make its styling appear more dated (especially the rear).
5. I can't speak to RWD pricing but good luck getting into an xDrive MSport for less than $50K. Discounts abound but when nicely equipped they are easily priced in the mid $50Ks to $60K range without checking all of the boxes on the order sheet. One thing BMW has generally been great at, however, is leasing so it's possible that you can put together a great deal on a lease.

I've long been a BMW and Audi fan and with all of the talk about the 45 being delayed until June, it really makes me wonder whether I should re-think the 3 and give it another shot. The S4 has always been high/top on my list of options but it is late in its model cycle and a new model is rumored to be release in 2016. The question I find myself considering is whether or not I have the patience to wait until June. If I don't then those are basically the two other cars that fit my requirements for a new car (great handling, nicely appointed, 4 doors, AWD...high preference for a manual). The 45 drew me in so strongly I was willing to give up a manual transmission (something I could have on the Bimmer and Audi). Nothing else really interests me (Q50, IS350, etc. All very nice cars but do nothing for me.)

-Eric

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im going with rear because if the cla45 has to be in a front or rear category, it would be put in the front category

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would be all over an 335i M-Sport RWD, however the only BMW service center within 3 hours of me is quite possibly one of the worst on the planet. Therefore I will never own another BMW.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You will probably only get the kind of discount you are talking about for a car that is
Sitting on the the dealers lot.

I doubt a car ordered to individual specs will get such a big discount.

My local BMW dealer doesn't have any 335's in an inventory of over 90 other 3 series cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a 335i this month after canceling my cla order. Drove both. Cla looked nice from outside. 335i looked good enough and was much more fun to drive so i went with it. Would wait to drive the 45 tho to get a fair comparison. I was never going to get the 45 and just opted to spend more to get a car that excited me

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
You can't compare a 335 to a 250. They're complete apples and oranges. The closest comparison to the 335 is the 45. Each car has its strengths and weaknesses.

Congrats on your 335 order though. I hope you enjoy it. They're fantastic cars. I don't think you could go wrong either way!

-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I bought a 335i this month after canceling my cla order. Drove both. Cla looked nice from outside. 335i looked good enough and was much more fun to drive so i went with it. Would wait to drive the 45 tho to get a fair comparison. I was never going to get the 45 and just opted to spend more to get a car that excited me
The new F30 335 is bigger than my 1999 5 series and feels it. It is also heavier albeit a lot faster. If you want a fast 5 passenger sedan, the 335i is an excellent choice.
I want a cozy, nimble fast car and I don't much care about carrying 5 people and the 45 fits the bill. The BMW just feels bulky. Same for the 4 series. When I sat in the 435i, I for a moment thought it was a 6 series.
Plus I want the AMG brand. Two years ago, the rage was the M135i. The entire run was quickly sold out and dealers were asking thousands over MSRP for a few stashed away as demo cars. The CLA45 may be better than
the M135i...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts