Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 CLA 45 whines. In low gears, and starts to whine at high speeds. It’s not really really loud, but still annoys. Me the car has 29K On it, I’m thinking it might be low on power steering fluid ??? I think it hasnt been change since I got it. “Pre owned” let me know guys. The car runs mint, just the whine

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2014 CLA 45 whines. In low gears, and starts to whine at high speeds. It’s not really really loud, but still annoys. Me the car has 29K On it, I’m thinking it might be low on power steering fluid ??? I think it hasnt been change since I got it. “Pre owned” let me know guys. The car runs mint, just the whine
The CLA has electric power steering, not hydraulic, so that can't be what you're hearing.

We'll need more detail to what you're hearing than just "whining," and specifically where you think you're hearing it from (front/rear/left/right/etc.) You can start to narrow this down by seeing if you notice the noise change with engine speed vs. wheel speed by revving the engine while stationary, driving on the freeway, and rolling down a hill in neutral – each will tell you whether it's the engine, drive line, both, or something else. You can also test turning the wheel back and forth while stationary vs. at low speed.

No matter what, I'd say this isn't normal to hear any sort of a mechanical whine from the car while in motion, especially one loud enough to notice above other engine and road noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s coming from the Front left, the whine is always present 1/2 gear, and with each shift the whine gets less loud, I took it to MB, and of course the guy said it’s normal, . I was wondering where is the turbo at by the way ? On the left or dead center ? Idk what this is I took it twice, and they said nothing is wrong, I was thinking it may be a vacuum leak, also, I don’t know I had this car since a month and it’s driving me crazy,

·
Registered
91 Posts
It’s coming from the Front left, the whine is always present 1/2 gear, and with each shift the whine gets less loud, I took it to MB, and of course the guy said it’s normal, . I was wondering where is the turbo at by the way ? On the left or dead center ? Idk what this is I took it twice, and they said nothing is wrong, I was thinking it may be a vacuum leak, also, I don’t know I had this car since a month and it’s driving me crazy,
So re: my first reply, there are some tests you can do here. Rev the car while in park/neutral – do you hear the sound change? Roll downhill at various speeds in neutral – do you hear the sound change? Roll downhill in drive (i.e. low rpm, foot off gas) – do you hear the sound change?

That'll help you start to determine if it's engine (i.e. turbo or something else), wheel/bearing/etc., or perhaps driveline/transmission.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was doing about 40 and I heard the whine, so I dropped it in neutral. And it was still there, so I don’t no what it could be, my warranty expired so. I don’t know. Could there be something loose ? On my left side? Could it be a bad air filter??? It’s like right under the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve made a video, of the whine. Here’s the link https://youtu.be/2ul9cT7LCq8 it’s from 0 seconds then skip to 55, it ain’t that loud on video. But it was loud for me, plus my temp runs 178/180 is that normal ??? I’ve herd cuz 2014’s made loud transmission whine but idk what this is

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
temp is about right
strained to listen ... not really out of the ordinary? but if it is "loud" to you it may be a main diff bearing or front hub bearing ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It also, kinda hallows when I decelerate, it’s more of like a intake sound, where air is getting sucked in to. I’m gonna open the air filter tomorrow to see. If it might have a Aftermarket Air filter. Cuz when I also get on it, from the left side. Is like a zizzz sound. Like air getting sucked in. But should I take it to Benz? To see if it may me a bearing in the diff ??

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
Dont need a dealer to tell you about bad bearings
Raise the front a roll the wheels ... you will feel or hear it (separate from pads rubbing against rotor sound)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. Today. I checked the air filter. It’s the stock one i thought it had a aftermarket air filter but it didn’t. Now today I drove the car. And when I turn at low speeds all the way to the left or right. It makes a clicking/creeking noise. Do you think it’s a bad power steering pump ? And if it is, is it okay to drive daily ? Let me know

·
Registered
91 Posts
Now today I drove the car. And when I turn at low speeds all the way to the left or right. It makes a clicking/creeking noise. Do you think it’s a bad power steering pump ? And if it is, is it okay to drive daily ? Let me know
As I explained before, the CLA has electric power steering. There is no traditional "pump" system for this car. Not sure what your infatuation is with the power steering, but I'm inclined to think that is not at all your problem — if you had an issue with your steering rack, you'd likely hear it every time you turn the wheel, not randomly.

Lots of people have noted having clicking/creeking noises at low speeds when turning their wheels tightly one direction or the other. Hate to say what you're hearing is "normal" and not worth investigating, but it's at least not uncommon. It's likely the drive joints at the end of the suspension binding under the tight turn — not uncommon in FWD vehicles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So what do you think it is ? Bearing in the tranny? I get loud whine also when I let off my foot off the pedal. At around 55 Mph, I’m trying my best to rule everything besides the tranny since my warranty is out. Is use to be just 1/2 gear. Now I hear it all the time and it’s so annoying

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am due for a transmission service, also my car is 4 years old. And at 29,300 miles. Should I do the transmission flush ? At MB maybe this is the cause of it

·
Registered
91 Posts
So what do you think it is ? Bearing in the tranny? I get loud whine also when I let off my foot off the pedal. At around 55 Mph, I’m trying my best to rule everything besides the tranny since my warranty is out. Is use to be just 1/2 gear. Now I hear it all the time and it’s so annoying
And also. Does this car still have a serpentine belt ?? I refuse to think it’s just 1 part now.
Honestly I think there's a good chance you're just hyper-analyzing things that are normal sounds a high-performance high-compression turbocharged engine makes. These engines aren't silent; the CLA in general isn't known for having a smooth engine.

But if you're hearing things that you think are serious problems, it sounds like it's a driveline thing – transmission, clutch, driveshaft. You'll need an expert to analyze it – there isn't a whole lot more we can do without being in the car and experiencing it ourselves.

I am due for a transmission service, also my car is 4 years old. And at 29,300 miles. Should I do the transmission flush ? At MB maybe this is the cause of it
Where did you see that the car is due for a transmission service? The CLA service manual says that the car gets a transmission service at 6 years / 60k miles. There's no type of transmission noise that's expected within 4 years / 30k miles (or even 6 / 60k).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts