Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
when he said something was stuck open I wonder if that was the thermostat. And reference the fumes, anti-freeze has that sickening sweet smell to it. Did it say on the repair order if they replaced the water pump or thermostat?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Lately, cars have gotten so complicated, I try to keep them in warranty. That said, I can't remember a car that I ever put 60,000 miles on. I rarely buy tires, and can't think of a time when I have replaced brake pads. My wife has tended to keep her cars much longer, but drives so little that she never needs tires or brakes either. My last car, the Genesis, was a three year lease that I turned in with 28,000 miles. Now that I am retired, this CLA will probably have less than 25,000 miles on it when I return it in January of 2018.
Interesting... do you do a lot of walking or biking or something along that line? Do you not travel much around in your car, the USA is such a big country, great for taking long drives... especially when you have such a sweet car like the CLA.

Wow, never really had to replace brake pads... the town you live in must be pretty light in traffic as well... coast into the stop light , just in time for the red light to turn green and move on again... little impact on brake pads...

I can understand if its a vintage car, you might want to only drive it under certain conditions and in certain seasons of the year... but a nice new car like the CLA , needs to be enjoyed by driving it! JMHO... :huepfenicon111:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just bumping this thread. My water pump just went on a 2014 CLA 250. 19000 miles on it. Engine was cold then getting on the highway, the temp just started shooting up until it was in the red. I took about 20 sec to get to a safe spot to stop and turned engine off. No CEL or warning messages.

Dealer said coolant levels were fine but something was stuck open and they replaced the pump. Got it back today and so far it's ok, but it feels sluggish and there's a new smell, can't put my finger on it, but some kind of fumes.

It's a lease though and I'm turning it in in a few months (or maybe a few weeks if anything else pops up).
I think I may be experiencing a water pump failure. I'll know on Monday when I bring my car in due to overheating. Where you able to drive your car to the dealer or did you have to have it towed?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Interesting... do you do a lot of walking or biking or something along that line? Do you not travel much around in your car, the USA is such a big country, great for taking long drives... especially when you have such a sweet car like the CLA.

Wow, never really had to replace brake pads... the town you live in must be pretty light in traffic as well... coast into the stop light , just in time for the red light to turn green and move on again... little impact on brake pads...

I can understand if its a vintage car, you might want to only drive it under certain conditions and in certain seasons of the year... but a nice new car like the CLA , needs to be enjoyed by driving it! JMHO... :huepfenicon111:
I've never had a long commute, and now that I'm retired, I just don't pile up the miles. When we travel, we tend to fly. If we do drive, we tend to take the largest car, which is now my wife's Sonata. She doesn't fully appreciate the sport suspension in my CLA. Each fall, I travel back to Virginia to watch my grandsons play football. I've always flown, but this year I'm going to drive the 1500 miles, and while I'm there, I'll be able to spend some time driving skyline drive and the blue ridge parkway. When it is time to come home, we will take our time, visiting various friends and places we haven't been on the east coast. This is all possible because I'm halfway through my lease, and not yet at 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yup. It was the water pump.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Problem solved. Glad that's it.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Wow thats about half dozen water pump failures noted on this forum ...

Did you happen to notice if the impeller is metal or plastic in the old and new pumps?????

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Wow thats about half dozen water pump failures noted on this forum ...

Did you happen to notice if the impeller is metal or plastic in the old and new pumps?????
I was not there on the shop floor when they made the diagnosis. I was at work so I have no idea what the impeller is made of nor will I be able to see what the new one is made of. I just hope that the new pump is an improvement to the old one being replaced.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I was not there on the shop floor when they made the diagnosis. I was at work so I have no idea what the impeller is made of nor will I be able to see what the new one is made of. I just hope that the new pump is an improvement to the old one being replaced.
Oh no I don't mean it that way ... I was hoping the SA or Tech told you about it etc

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Oh no I don't mean it that way ... I was hoping the SA or Tech told you about it etc
I did send the service tech how the old pump failed and if the new pump is the same as the old or a new and improved version. Still haven't received an answer yet. I'll post their response if and when I get it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
OK, I got a response which is basically useless. Here's the exact quote: I spoke with the tech, he is unsure why it failed. It is replaced with Genuine Mercedes Parts."

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
OK, I got a response which is basically useless. Here's the exact quote: I spoke with the tech, he is unsure why it failed. It is replaced with Genuine Mercedes Parts."
That's genuinely helpful!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Had my 2014 cla250's with 64k miles water pump just go. Dealer quoted me $1100 to fix it. Pretty heated abt it.
Damn! No extended warranty, I assume? I would get it fixed at a good independent shop. Much cheaper. Sorry to hear this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My cla 250 has 87000 km here in Toronto Canada, my coolant temperature sensor(attached to waterpump) went bad, made of plastic, a 909$ repair because of the location of the part. Water pump is a common problem arising now on higher mileage cla’s. intake manifold must be removed to reach.

·
Registered
101 Posts
2014 CLA with 44k miles. Yesterday I was driving to work when the CLA beeped at me, TURN OFF CAR IMMEDIATELY. Temp was over 250F.

I pulled over .. took a few hours to get to the dealership, driving a mile, turning the car off for 5 minutes, letting it cool.

Diagnosis: Water pump. They took half a day yesterday, all day today, and need a 3rd day to complete. $1400 -- and the car went out of warranty just 6 months ago.

Add in a bad PCV valve last month, and I'm at over $3000 immediately after the warranty ended. I have no idea what will break down next month, so am pretty pissed off.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts