Mercedes CLA Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bummer sorry to hear ... some early 14s had a bad batch of water pumps etc etc
No extended warranty huh?
Well .. I bought it in 2014 .. it had 3,000 miles on it "used" and was "certified" by the dealership .. so instead of a 3 year warranty, it was four. It was a pretty good deal at the time.

I suppose "extended warranties" get a bad rap .. seems like a dollar grab by the dealership right at the end of your car buying experience and you're not ready to do that math.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well .. I bought it in 2014 .. it had 3,000 miles on it "used" and was "certified" by the dealership .. so instead of a 3 year warranty, it was four. It was a pretty good deal at the time.

I suppose "extended warranties" get a bad rap .. seems like a dollar grab by the dealership right at the end of your car buying experience and you're not ready to do that math.
Sounds familiar. My waterpump failed as soon as warranty expired. Of course I paid for it as it died 2 weeks after week warranty. 2014 CLA with 27000+ miles at that time. Now I have my own MB mechanic I won't be going back to the dealers for repairs. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I don't know why anyone would go to the dealer for work on their car after the warranty expires. I certainly won't.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Of course if MBUSA approves a courtesy out of warranty repair .., you bet your ass I am gonna go visit and get my creme filled doughnuts gluten free brownies and cappucino with agave and coconut milk ... while they tape up my baby and work on it

·
Registered
101 Posts
Of course if MBUSA approves a courtesy out of warranty repair .., you bet your ass I am gonna go visit and get my creme filled doughnuts gluten free brownies and cappucino with agave and coconut milk ... while they tape up my baby and work on it
My dealership was definitive about courtesy out-of-warranty repairs: It's not going to happen. Once it ends, it ends.

Sounds like there's a different answer?

·
Registered
101 Posts
What were yall’s symptoms of the failed water pump? Any precursors or just overheated?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My car always ran pretty well. On the day it failed, The car ran fine.

HOWEVER .. thinking back, a few times -- but months / year ago -- I saw the temp gauge go super high then snap back down. As I said, it was months and months ago .. and I only witnessed it twice. It's entirely possible it did that dozens of times and I never noticed it, as it only happened for 1-2 seconds and unless you are staring at your dash, you'd miss it. *Maybe* it was happening prior to the pump failure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What were yall’s symptoms of the failed water pump? Any precursors or just overheated?

My temperature gauges were going way above the normal range (into the red) and not coming down. I pulled over and when I turned on the heater to try and cool off the car, it blew out cool air. That’s when I called roadside assistance lol.

·
Registered
375 Posts

No precursor signs. Drove everyday without any unusual behavior then one morning it just overheated as I exited the highway towards work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
when he said something was stuck open I wonder if that was the thermostat. And reference the fumes, anti-freeze has that sickening sweet smell to it. Did it say on the repair order if they replaced the water pump or thermostat?
Water pump is pain to change. There is a lever which opens and closes the pump. that gets stuck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So what symptoms showed? Temp jump?
Any odd noises?
There were no symptoms, no warnings, no odd noises. The temp' jumped as we were getting onto the highway. Immediately we pulled over and had the car towed to the dealership.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts