Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
It has slightly less HP, less torque and costs more. And it's not a Mercedes. I just tried to configure an IS250 with equivalent features to my CLA and it came out $6000 more expensive. It is slower, doesn't look as good and not as well equipped at $35K. Advantage CLA.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sadly I think most owners will share your same sentiments later on. The CLA is so beautiful that everyone overlooks the other stuff. To get what's standard on most other cars your back up close to 40K... I, too love the looks of the CLA but I keep reading these forums and I get a little farther away from buying one... The IS is nice but mpg sucks compared to the CLA and even a 328i, I have a long communte to work and many people on these forums have said the CLA ride is harsh even reviewers so that is another knock against that gorgeous car... oh well will test drive one early next year and go from there.

Enjoy your new IS, despite the alien reference, nice looking ride and will be dependable for sure.

One other side note, this is a first gen car, most who bought this car will have some regrets, MB in the upcoming versions will address a lot of these launch issues. The CLA in 2-3 years will truly be bad ass.
2400 miles on my CLA and not a single problem, except the jerk who backed into me on Day 1. At the same price point, my CLA is much better equipped than my ATS was.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not saying there is a problem, but you have to look past the looks of the car, which I admit is really really really hard to do. After you get past the looks, compared to other competing cars there is not much there. Cars are obviously a preference thing, from just reading the forum, my source, it seems like a lot of new owners are coming from non-luxury brands, so they don't know any better as the CLA is the best car they have owned to date, nothing wrong with that. However for those of us who do the research and have owned luxury cars, once you get past the looks of the CLA, and dig deeper... At the end of the day to each his own, and hell come early next year, I may decide to buy the CLA for the looks and mpg,
But the looks and price are what the CLA was designed to highlight. I'm not sure why you say the CLA is lacking. I looked at a BMW 320i and it wasn't as nice and was more expensive. If you want to compare the CLA to a BMW 328i, then you might have a point. BTW, I have owned two BMWs and just got rid of a Cadillac ATS. Is Cadillac not a luxury brand?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Remember, on paper the CLA is less expensive, but you can't negotiate the price right now. So in the end, it doesn't end up being less expensive. Like I said, I'm getting a Lexus that on paper is much more expensive but after negotiating is about the same price...for many more features. I also agree with everybody here that the CLA is a better looking car and I was all for it, that's why I bought it. However, right now it turns heads because there aren't many on the road. Soon, we'll see so many out there and it will no longer be as special. Even after all I went through I still wanted a CLA but I simply didn't get the treatment I deserved and am walking away.
You have to get what you want. End of story. I wasn't looking at Lexus, Infiniti or Acura, so the CLA was the way to go versus the BMW 320i and the Audi A4. When I was buying, neither BMW or Audi were offering any deals.

·
Registered
382 Posts
OK, I'll give you that, the IS instrument cluster looks cool. I really don't mind the CLA gauges. One thing I have always liked about german cars (I had two BMWs in the 90s) is that their designs always seem so elegant. Nothing over the top, just sophisticated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts