Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 CLA 250 that I am thinking about upgrading the headlights on. What are the best options here? Any firsthand accounts of upgrades and how it went?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome! I'm guessing you have the stock halogens, is that correct? You have a couple options.

The first one, since you have reflector housings if that's the case, is to simply buy a brighter halogen bulb. This is probably the most hassle-free. Putting HIDs or LEDs in those housings will actually reduce light output and cause immense glare to other drivers. For brighter halogen bulbs, I'd recommend the Philips Vision Plus, GE Nighthawk, Osram (read: not Sylvania) SilverStar, or Narva Range Power 50+ bulbs. Your bulb type is H7. This is a real easy plug-n-play swap. The only downside I can think of is maybe slightly reduced lifespan on the higher-output bulbs, but if you don't drive around with your lights on during the day, you may not notice. Stay away from the blue-tinted bulbs (CrystalVision, DiamondVision, Sylvania Silver Stars, etc.) as these bulbs have both worse light output and lower lifespan.

The second option, which I'll let those who have done it speak to, is to retrofit a projector inside your halogen housing. If you do this and then buy good quality HID/LED bulbs, you will have sharp, bright light output. I'm not entirely sure what this entails, I believe you have to actually open up your headlights from the front and screw in the projector, and then install the bulbs and/or ballasts, but again, I'll let someone else comment here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for feedback! Yes I have stock halogen in reflector housing. I'm going to go with upgraded halogen bulb for starters. Just really want to brighten up that dingy looking color on the stock bulbs. Not sure I want to sink a lot of money into this at the moment to replace housing etc.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
LED bulb varieties are getting better
Tough to match the exact location and extent of a bulb filament
But if you take your time and dig around you just might find good LED element arrays that yield similar light spread patterns
The crummy ones just violate all the basic ray trace of the reflector surfaces and put light where you dont need it ... usually right at oncoming traffic

·
Registered
11 Posts
I pulled the pull.. Went ahead and ordered them as well. Felt more confident seeing someone else with them. I got just the front lights, I think the rear slim line led is sexy. :love::love: Will return to post some before and afters also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought after market LED headlights and taillights from ebay.
here is a before and after
View attachment 65960
View attachment 65959
I did the same, bought from the same place you bought everything works fine except my right turn signal doesn’t work the clear white LED stays on fine but as soon as I turn my right turn signal on it turns off as if it wants to turn the yellow turn signal light on but there’s no signal but my mirror turn signal light works fine any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the same, bought from the same place you bought everything works fine except my right turn signal doesn’t work the clear white LED stays on fine but as soon as I turn my right turn signal on it turns off as if it wants to turn the yellow turn signal light on but there’s no signal but my mirror turn signal light works fine any suggestions?
Here’s a picture of the left and the right

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup it was the module he’s sending me a new one now it should come in today or tomorrow! They look amazing dude thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought after market LED headlights and taillights from ebay.
here is a before and after

View attachment 65959
Nice changes! Where did you get your front lip? And do you have a head on shot of the panamericana grill by chance? Trying to decide if I should go for it

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe it was either amazon or ebay, just look up CLA250 front splitter. This one is for the AMG package one, but I made it work. The grill I went ahead and got the all black one, but you can get the one that is black with some chrome, just depends on what you prefer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you share the eBay links for the headlights and tail lights. Also did you have any issues with functions or needed special programming?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can you share the eBay links for the headlights and tail lights. Also did you have any issues with functions or needed special programming?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks man, so these are plug and play for standard halogen replacements? No programming or special equipment needed. And everything works fine?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts