Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 CLA 250 that I am thinking about upgrading the headlights on. What are the best options here? Any firsthand accounts of upgrades and how it went?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome! I'm guessing you have the stock halogens, is that correct? You have a couple options.

The first one, since you have reflector housings if that's the case, is to simply buy a brighter halogen bulb. This is probably the most hassle-free. Putting HIDs or LEDs in those housings will actually reduce light output and cause immense glare to other drivers. For brighter halogen bulbs, I'd recommend the Philips Vision Plus, GE Nighthawk, Osram (read: not Sylvania) SilverStar, or Narva Range Power 50+ bulbs. Your bulb type is H7. This is a real easy plug-n-play swap. The only downside I can think of is maybe slightly reduced lifespan on the higher-output bulbs, but if you don't drive around with your lights on during the day, you may not notice. Stay away from the blue-tinted bulbs (CrystalVision, DiamondVision, Sylvania Silver Stars, etc.) as these bulbs have both worse light output and lower lifespan.

The second option, which I'll let those who have done it speak to, is to retrofit a projector inside your halogen housing. If you do this and then buy good quality HID/LED bulbs, you will have sharp, bright light output. I'm not entirely sure what this entails, I believe you have to actually open up your headlights from the front and screw in the projector, and then install the bulbs and/or ballasts, but again, I'll let someone else comment here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for feedback! Yes I have stock halogen in reflector housing. I'm going to go with upgraded halogen bulb for starters. Just really want to brighten up that dingy looking color on the stock bulbs. Not sure I want to sink a lot of money into this at the moment to replace housing etc.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
LED bulb varieties are getting better
Tough to match the exact location and extent of a bulb filament
But if you take your time and dig around you just might find good LED element arrays that yield similar light spread patterns
The crummy ones just violate all the basic ray trace of the reflector surfaces and put light where you dont need it ... usually right at oncoming traffic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts