Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Mercedes & thus this forum, so please bear with me as I describe issue.

(I am somewhat of DIYer as I have 2003 BMW Z4 2.5 and do mechanical & some electrical work on it , but usually leave the complicated electrical to my "indy" garage.)

1.) Is this a W205 design or a W176? I have seen both mentioned in forums on the CLA250.
2.) I bought the car used in June 2019 from folks I trust w/ only 17,500 miles. It has the "sport package" w/ the three (3) available settings, E/S/M. FYI, my wife drives the car 95% of the time (E), a round trip to work @ 24 mi / day. and an occasional run to Austin @ 360 mi. round trip. Car presently has 26,500 miles.
3.) Sunday night 3/22 put in the garage with no plans to drive for a few days. Thursday, 3/26, started (E trans. setting) car w/ foot on brake to put in reverse. The display showed the car shifted into "R," but car would not move. Gave it some gas and it was like I was standing on the brake. Followed same process to put into "D" and same result. I then put into "N" and the car will still not move.

A) Have any of you had similar experiences? If so, what was the overall problem and resolution.
B)
C) If the solution did not involve solving the problem in the location where the car was parked, how was it moved to be engaged by a towing services, etc.
D) Might this be something covered under the "warranty" that may still apply to the transmission due to such low mileage? I am unaware of the warranties on the different components of the car, so any knowledge / experience you all have to share about any warranty would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your contributions and suggestions for the repair.

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
61 Posts
If it behaves like you were standing on the brake, then maybe it is engaging into gear but for some odd reason, the brakes are completely locked on? Doesn't sound likely though, just thinking about what you stated and what could be the culprit. You might try fully resetting everything, by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
C117

Presume the rear e-brake auto releases or can be done manually

No CEL ??

This may be a transmission controller unit issue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your quick reply.
Yes, thought of disconnecting battery, but is there some sort of a "re-programming" required once the battery is reconnected or not. (I believe my Indy garage had to do that with the new battery.) Also, I am w/o an ODB2 reader which could tell me the code / problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C117

Presume the rear e-brake auto releases or can be done manually

No CEL ??

This may be a transmission controller unit issue
So design number is C117 & neither W205/ 176?

I have pulled & pushed on the "parking brake" lever on lower left hand side panel near the steering wheel to no avail.
Not familiar with rear e-brake auto releases or a manual way other than what I have done with the "P" lever.

If transmission controller unit, one would think there would be some sort of notification in the "on-board" display system or can this only be detected with an ODB2 device.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Yup C117
When you push or pull the ebrake switch ... can you hear anything at the rear brakes?
If indeed gearbox issue the obd reader should give a couple codes ... what they mean is another thing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today, Thu 4/2, I disconnected the negative battery cable from battery for 1/2 hour. It had no effect. Car will still not move.
I could remove both the negative and positive cables from the battery, but frankly I don't think it would have any effect unless someone has had this issue before and has done this with good results.

I am still in pursuit of an ODBII reader to see what, if any codes, it gives.

Tomorrow I will jack up rear end and put on jack stands as well as block front wheels. I'll then (with friend nearby) start car, put in neutral, and then see if I can turn the wheels by hand.

Any other suggestions / recommendations appreciated because I have no way to move the car out of the garage to allow a flatbed tow truck pull it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I move lever to either position, R or D, you can hear the car "going into gear" by the high pitched noise (whirring) being made.

Today I really put pressure on the accelerator and a message appeared on the instrument cluster saying to "releae the parking brake,"

So I think that's it; something is telling parking brake NOT to disengage.

FYI, albeit it is a FWD, I did jack up the rear end and neither wheel will move.

Stopped by my indy mechanic's shop and spoke a length with him and some of the staff, too. All are puzzled, especially with only @ 26,500 miles on it.

I'll arrange to have it owed in next week and advise of diagnosis and resolution.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I was trying to suggest you check the ebrake release circuit in my previous posts

The switch I am referring to is lower left under the light switch ... you did say you mucked with it but sure sounds like that circuit aint working ...
especially if you dont hear anything when you push or pull the switch????? Or do you???

Check the wire harnesses to the rear brake electromechanics ... may be loose or damaged

1 - 10 of 10 Posts