Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 35k miles experienced the issue of not starting 1 month ago. The key cranks all the way over but no sound is made, the instrument cluster lights turn on, and windows and media system work.

In April, when this first occurred (1 week after my B5 service), I had it towed to my dealership and it started when it came off the back of the truck in the dealership parking lot. The car was left to be looked at by the technician who tried to reproduce the problem by starting and stopping 70 times. He was unsuccessful, so they decided to replace my battery just in case.

Fast forward 1 month, I just had the issue happen again, had it towed to the dealership, car started in the dealership parking lot. It is currently in service for the 3rd day, the SA told me the technician was unable to reproduce the problem so they will open a case with MBUSA.

Has anyone else experience this problem? I've seen some indirect suggestions including: Starter solenoid, Total power part starter, Electronic ignition switch, or the fuel system not getting enough oxygen/fuel upon start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first time it died, there was a 15 minute period between when I parked it, came back to find it not starting. This second time it died, I drove into work, 9 hours later, came out and it didn't start.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Sometimes I get the same event ... from some combo of door opening / park button / brake press / etc ... not reproducible either
I just shutdown key out get out lock unlock get back in and restart ... its like a ctrl-alt-del gone wrong with some silly combo of stuff
Could be a bug in the eis (electronic ignition system) software?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got it back from service.
They told me the EIS needed a software update. Curious why they didn't test the software version the first time this issue brought the car in.
I will post if this issue occurs again.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Just got it back from service.
They told me the EIS needed a software update. Curious why they didn't test the software version the first time this issue brought the car in.
I will post if this issue occurs again.
So it was the eis ... interesting
Yes they should have checked that initially and wont be surprised if there is an existing service bulletin which they may have missed and those fixes are free ... no jipping allowed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it was the eis ... interesting
Yes they should have checked that initially and wont be surprised if there is an existing service bulletin which they may have missed and those fixes are free ... no jipping allowed
I hate to say this, but the problem is back. 1 week later, it didn't start again. It's back in service and the SA isn't sure what the problem is at this time.

I've opened a case with MBUSA, this is the third time I am in service for the same issue without a fix... might be a lemon?

Will continue to update.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Find the eis harness and yank it around
Although unlikely it might be something basic like a damaged wire within the insulation due to a myriad of reasons like a zip tie too tight etc
Just a caveman thought

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They replaced the battery the first time and the problem still existed.

As per their request, I dropped off my second key for them to test with as well. I am leaving the car with the dealership for a week in hope that it won't start so the technician can hookup his computer and figure out what error code is being thrown.

The SA said they will check the EIS and starter switch module again, as of now, the problem is not apparent.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
If it is something as silly as a busted key Tx then at least it wont be so involved
Ever drop that key??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Issue Resolved.
There was a power line loosely connected to the ignition system that sent over 6V while it should've been sending 12V of power. Sometimes it would latch and the car would start, other times it wouldn't make sufficient contact. Technician replaced and tightened the wire.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
So the tech did all the harness yanking for you
Good grief a 6v drop?! Even for a 100ma trigger line thats 60ohms apparent resistance ... sure was a poor contact point ?!
Glad the tech found the culprit wire

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to say this, but the problem is back. 1 week later, it didn't start again. It's back in service and the SA isn't sure what the problem is at this time.

I've opened a case with MBUSA, this is the third time I am in service for the same issue without a fix... might be a lemon?

Will continue to update.
This is happening to me too !!! I don’t know where to start

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
This is happening to me too !!! I don’t know where to start
Welcome to the CLA Forum Rebekah :)
If you feel you have the exact same issue, suggest that you skip to Comment #12 as a starting point, if your batteries are already in good shape. lurker has done a good job of leading this to a solution.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There is upgraded stater for cla. I would check starter wire coming of engine harness to starter. I would makesure that wire going from alternator to starter positive battery is connected well. Buying new battery is good idea, Old battery will take 5 triess to start the car ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts