Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2016 CLA 250, I am trying to launch the car, but when I press the gas and brake pedal at the same time, it only revs up to about 1150 rpms. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Others may be able to confirm, but I’m not sure if launch control / race start is available outside of the AMG range.

Car does look nice though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Others may be able to confirm, but I’m not sure if launch control / race start is available outside of the AMG range.

Car does look nice though!
I know outside the AMG trim, there is not launch control, but I was just wondering if it is normal for my rpm's to be limited so low. I know when I got a C300 as a loaner, brake and gas pedal I was able to burn out, or at the right amount of gas, have a good launch without needing launch control.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
our cars are either FWD or 4matic. There is no burn outs in a cla unfortunately. With a tune you can spin the front tires thru second but I wouldn't call that a burnout.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you quickly tap the gas a few times while holding the brake, it overrides the rpm limiter by quite a bit. You can get a more powerful launch...probably at the cost of vehicle longevity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
our cars are either FWD or 4matic. There is no burn outs in a cla unfortunately. With a tune you can spin the front tires thru second but I wouldn't call that a burnout.
I will definitely be getting a tune sometime this year, just waiting to buy and install a catback exhaust and donwpipe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You're in luck! I actually made a post about this a few months ago: Start-off Assist? where I went into thorough detail about what the car does and how it behaves under certain conditions. It is specifically called out in 2017+ CLA250 owners manuals. Copy-pasted and edited for convenience:

"So I did a bunch of experimentation here and I have the results!

First of all, it really works on 2015 models at least, even though it's not mentioned in the owner's manual. There is absolutely no indication given on the dash that you're doing a "start-off assist."

I timed 0-60 at 6.1s at best using this method. MB quoted 6.9s for MY2015, for reference. I used the method I described: ESP Off, Eco Start/Stop Off, Sport Mode, floor brake, floor accelerator, let go of brake once revs settled. Only got a tad of front wheelslip once and not on any of the other runs, 4MATIC definitely helps here.

Observations:
  • The car short-shifts into 2nd when you do these, whether by design or because it sees the revs rapidly climbing, not sure, but it definitely keeps the car in torque band nicely.
  • If either engine is cold, drive mode is Eco, or ESP is on, it won't raise the revs past ~1000rpm.
  • Once, when the engine was really cold first thing in the morning, the revs climbed rapidly, the car tried to clutch, and when it wouldn't move, it disengaged the clutch and rev'd up again. I never tried this particular scenario again for fear of driveline wear."
Here's a video I took of it in action. This is with my 4Matic model. Give it a shot! You don't see it in this run but I have chirped the front tires in some other runs while doing this.

Though, I wonder whether there is some mechanical difference in 2017+ CLA250s that makes the car more durable to launching like this, and that's why 2016 and earlier CLAs don't have it in the manual...oops

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
It's a 250 not a super car. I personally wouldn't launch or abuse the transmission, engine or tune it. Long term reliability is already an issue so you dont want to compound it. Plenty of horror stories with tunes throwing engine codes and causing limp mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts