Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Like many of you here (no doubt) I purchased my beautiful red 2016 CLA250 base model with halogen headlights. Naturally, I've been wanting to change the boring yellow color to the beautiful white LED - and I started by changing the bulbs.

Now, I'm looking to complete change the halogen headlamps with LED headlamps.

A few questions:

1. Has anyone ever done it before and has been successful? If so, how did it go?

2. Would that be something that the dealership help me with? Or would they quote me an arm and a leg?

I've already found an amazing MB/BMW/Audi mechanic in my city that has said they could do the retrofitting without a problem, provided that I bring the retrofits. I've also found this website HERE that sells these headlamps, but I'm unsure if AliExpress is viable and can be reliable to buy them from ... although on eBay the listings seem to come from the same sellers as on here.

Any help or insight would be GREATLY appreciated guys! I thought I'd ask before starting to make any payments and potentially screwing myself over by losing thousands of dollars.

Thanks so, so, so much again!

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Already several posts on halogen to led upgrades
pnp kit even no coding etc
run a search

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already several posts on halogen to led upgrades
pnp kit even no coding etc
run a search
hey, I really appreciate the reply and everything you do for the community here!

Been looking around for quite a bit. While Im aware that the Plug and Plays from eBay seem to work (and Ive followed cchappy's thread) I was really curious if AliExpress was viable at all or not.

My wife is trying to convince me that the car looks absolutely gorgeous the way it is ... but I cant help and unsee all the beautiful LED MBs on the road thinking that mine has the ugly, yellow daytime running lights on.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Yeah I dont blame you ... better visibility not withstanding
Those units/kits seem to come from the same “shop” in HK so pick one
One of the other posts was quite recent and on a facelift so aftermarket stuff is catching up

And your better half is correct

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about installing led bulbs ?
I’ve installed LED bulbs in my low-beams, and have considered installed LED bulbs for my daytime running lights next - but have been reading that a bunch of people are hit with error messages after switching DRLs so I’ve been more reluctant ... hence why looking at new retrofits. Also the look is sublime. Just wish they weren’t 1800$ to begin with

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Think you will get bored with the bulb path soon ... tough to emulate a stringofpearls (extended source) format and still throw 4–pi-sr output using finite sized led chips that need lots of cooling

Thought the front and rear led kits were below $1500 by now?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought the front and rear led kits were below $1500 by now?
Oh, you’d think so, right? Not kidding when I say this, I’ve been looking through every nook and cranny of the Internet for the past month, and the cheapest I can get a LED headlamp for the 2013-2016 pre-facelift for, is 700 USD. Excluding shipping.

Hence why I’m willing to resort to buying from sketchy, warranty-free websites like AliExpress, because eBay (and those guys in HK) quote me at 1800$ USD for the whole kit.

Living in Canada, that’s over 2500$ CAD with shipping, which is absolutely out of the world insane for a pair of .... headlights I can’t even see while driving my car lol.

I was hoping to wait a few more years and get a cheaper price tag, but with the new 2020+ models and their improved bi-xenons, no chance of that ever happening

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
lurk around ebay .... goodies pop up once in a while

1 - 9 of 9 Posts