Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 CLA250, about 12K miles currently, purchased almost 1 year ago - was a loaner at my local MB dealership, clean title. I’ve always noticed it jerks forward and feels like it’s shifting gears funny at times, and thought it may be a normal MB thing due to having many gears (I'm a 1st time MB owner). Had the starter battery replaced since Eco start/stop never worked (don't think this issue is related). Real issue: last time I took it on a road trip, fueled up mid trip and got back on the turnpike, engine misfired (felt like gears didn't shift properly) and CEL came on. I turned the car off/on then it was fine (CEL disappeared). Happened again after fueling up back home, did the same exercise, CEL disappeared. Took it to my dealer and couldn’t reproduce issue, no stored code. Drove fine in town for a few months. Took it back on road trip today, fueled up, same issue, CEL didn’t go off after restarting. Drove rough, car was vibrating badly upon acceleration and accelerated slowly (limp mode? I did get it up to 70). Felt like I was driving on a rough dirt road. Funny smell outside the car when I got out. CEL code is misfire on cylinder 1 - code P030185. Its currently at a dealership in a different state and they gave me a loaner. Things I checked - gas cap on secure, and I did pump with Premium gas - I also tried Quick Trip and Kum and Go gas and same thing happened when travelling to see if was a 'bad gas' thing, but I don't think it is. Do I have a lemon? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a 2016 CLA250, about 12K miles currently, purchased almost 1 year ago - was a loaner at my local MB dealership, clean title. I’ve always noticed it jerks forward and feels like it’s shifting gears funny at times, and thought it may be a normal MB thing due to having many gears (I'm a 1st time MB owner). Had the starter battery replaced since Eco start/stop never worked (don't think this issue is related). Real issue: last time I took it on a road trip, fueled up mid trip and got back on the turnpike, engine misfired (felt like gears didn't shift properly) and CEL came on. I turned the car off/on then it was fine (CEL disappeared). Happened again after fueling up back home, did the same exercise, CEL disappeared. Took it to my dealer and couldn’t reproduce issue, no stored code. Drove fine in town for a few months. Took it back on road trip today, fueled up, same issue, CEL didn’t go off after restarting. Drove rough, car was vibrating badly upon acceleration and accelerated slowly (limp mode? I did get it up to 70). Felt like I was driving on a rough dirt road. Funny smell outside the car when I got out. CEL code is misfire on cylinder 1 - code P030185. Its currently at a dealership in a different state and they gave me a loaner. Things I checked - gas cap on secure, and I did pump with Premium gas - I also tried Quick Trip and Kum and Go gas and same thing happened when travelling to see if was a 'bad gas' thing, but I don't think it is. Do I have a lemon? Any suggestions?
A P0301 misfire code just shows the symptom. Why it's misfiring? That's could be lots of reasons from a bad spark plug or ignition coil to a broken valve. Having dirty oil could also foul up the variable valve timing solenoid, causing a misfire. The shop would probably spend time testing the spark plugs and coil, and then do a leak down and compression test to see if its anything internal. Did the CEL blink or was it a solid light?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A P0301 misfire code just shows the symptom. Why it's misfiring? That's could be lots of reasons from a bad spark plug or ignition coil to a broken valve. Having dirty oil could also foul up the variable valve timing solenoid, causing a misfire. The shop would probably spend time testing the spark plugs and coil, and then do a leak down and compression test to see if its anything internal. Did the CEL blink or was it a solid light?
Traxem - the dealer hasn’t called me back, they are supposed to today on what they find, they told me yesterday they are looking at the fuel injector. I will keep you posted on what they say.

The CEL didn’t blink, it was solid.

I did tell them to test for leaks, spark plugs/wires, ignition coil, mass airflow, etc.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What i don't get is that the CEL came on and then went out. So the computer should of had something stored in memory to diagnose and they told you there was nothing. Hopefully they find something this time now that it is the shop. Oh and have them do a transmission readaptation (basically resets the transmission computer) that should help with the jerky transmission shifts. The computer will "learn" how you drive and supposedly will adapt to your style of driving. I had it done on mine and it helped smooth out some of the rough shifts.

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
Everything ... and I mean everything ... is stored. Our cars are like black boxes. They may have cleared the stored codes after the initial quick test for a number of reasons ... stupid habit or stupid mistake take your pick.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Everything ... and I mean everything ... is stored. Our cars are like black boxes. They may have cleared the stored codes after the initial quick test for a number of reasons ... stupid habit or stupid mistake take your pick.
That's what I'm figuring too.....they deleted the codes and made up a story or wanted to see if the code would come back. Either way I would question their troubleshooting methods

·
Registered
363 Posts
Any update?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update! Long story short. Dealer finds gas in the charcoal canister. Car was shooting gas into the engine causing misfires. Cracked fuel system. They had to replace the entire fueling system/lines. After getting it back, CEL continues to come on, now an Emissions problem. Car has been to the dealership many times and I’ve owned it under a year. Had to file a complaint with MB USA. Car hasn’t had any misfires since then and no CEL light since taking it to the dealership 5,000 times.

Now I have another issue. Collision assist inoperative error and the car touched the breaks (on its own) while I was on the highway, not close to other cars. Dangerous.

I wouldn’t recommend a CLA to anyone! Biggest piece of shit. Freaking brand new car with all these issues.

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
wait ....... CRACKED fuel system?
can you post the RO? i am very curious what official language they use for something like this ... geewhiz !!!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Update! Long story short. Dealer finds gas in the charcoal canister. Car was shooting gas into the engine causing misfires. Cracked fuel system. They had to replace the entire fueling system/lines. After getting it back, CEL continues to come on, now an Emissions problem. Car has been to the dealership many times and I’ve owned it under a year. Had to file a complaint with MB USA. Car hasn’t had any misfires since then and no CEL light since taking it to the dealership 5,000 times.

Now I have another issue. Collision assist inoperative error and the car touched the breaks (on its own) while I was on the highway, not close to other cars. Dangerous.

I wouldn’t recommend a CLA to anyone! Biggest piece of shit. Freaking brand new car with all these issues.
Woah woah now. Calm down please. I understand your car has had major issues but don’t blame a lemon on every since Cla. Every car brand has lemons. It happens. It’s just statistics. especially if it was a loaner car. I assume the car was used and abused and filled up with cheap gas by the people driving the car while it was a loaner. I’ve had 70k miles on my Cla and have had almost NO issues. Small hiccups here and there.

I do hope you get reimbursement for the car under the lemon law rule. Please keep us updated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cylinder misfire

After mine had a cylinder misfire, first fix was to replace fuel rail sensor. After that didn't work, they removed engine block and cylinder heads, found scorching in one of the cylinder banks. They had to send engine block and cylinder heads to a machine shop on the other end of the country for repairs. Thankfully covered under warranty - fix has taken over 6 weeks so far....I'm still in a rental. Hard to believe that such a new and relatively expensive vehicle is having so many issues at such low mileage (70k km). Don't think I want to be stuck with this thing after the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Sorry to hear this, but most people have had good luck with their CLAs, including me. I have almost 40,000 miles on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
After mine had a cylinder misfire, first fix was to replace fuel rail sensor. After that didn't work, they removed engine block and cylinder heads, found scorching in one of the cylinder banks. They had to send engine block and cylinder heads to a machine shop on the other end of the country for repairs. Thankfully covered under warranty - fix has taken over 6 weeks so far....I'm still in a rental. Hard to believe that such a new and relatively expensive vehicle is having so many issues at such low mileage (70k km). Don't think I want to be stuck with this thing after the warranty runs out.
Could you please expand on “scorching” ???
And which cylinder?
Also were the valves for that cylinder damaged?

·
Registered
363 Posts
At 42k miles and you already need to re-build the head? This job could easily cost over $5k for diagnosing and repairing. I’d be pissed if it was out of warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally got the car back after 7 weeks, and she's running fine for now...

JMC: Scorching = Burnt cylinder walls (cylinders 3 & 4 had to be re-bored). Was told it was due to low compression (possibly bad piston rings? SA wouldn't expand on cause of problem) To my knowledge, the cylinder valves were not damaged.

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
Finally got the car back after 7 weeks, and she's running fine for now...

JMC: Scorching = Burnt cylinder walls (cylinders 3 & 4 had to be re-bored). Was told it was due to low compression (possibly bad piston rings? SA wouldn't expand on cause of problem) To my knowledge, the cylinder valves were not damaged.
wow the flame fronts were getting past the rings and mixing with the oil films and cooking them ... bad rings or sloppy main journals etc
sounds similar to the piston slap problem in some M270 and M274 engines due to a bad batch of parts need the same class of rebuilds
would love to see the repair order statements sometime ... just for kicks :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts