Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

First time running into an issue with the CLA, not sure if anyone has run into this (tried searching and didn't find anything related).

I have a 2016 with around 68k miles. Out of nowhere on a drive I started hearing a faint pop noise when giving throttle - not heavy throttle just light, it seems like the car had less power. Thankfully I was about 15 mins from home and drove it back at low RPMs at which point the check engine light came on. Received code P0030 for bank 1 O2 sensor 1, I replaced the sensor which seemed to have helped with the sluggishness but the car still makes a loud pop towards the front (video below).

Only mod on the vehicle is the bov spacer, lost the original bolts so I purchased a turbosmart diverter valve to test and still have the same issue. Could probably rule out the spacer in that case.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
no codes? sounds like the flap on the throttle body getting stuck? does your car ever stall out or sound likes its going to stall?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no codes? sounds like the flap on the throttle body getting stuck? does your car ever stall out or sound likes its going to stall?
Thanks for replying pa4ul! No new codes have been thrown, only code was P0030 which I cleared. The car doesn't feel like it will stall, sounds like it is running normal at idle. It may be me overthinking but it sounds like I hear air coming from the rear right side of the engine bay, like a vacuum leak. Have had it for a bit over 3 years, rarley had the hood popped open with the car on before. Never really listened to the engine before and can't determine if I am hearing something different now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Throttle body seems to be working fine at the moment. Any other recommendations on what would cause the pop noise?

Took it out for a 20 min drive and it made the noise around 4 times or so after the O2 sensor replacement.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
hmm nothing lose in the car? airbox or anything

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weird, so I received the stetho yesterday and when I popped the hood there was a decently sized hole in my intake duct. Definetly was not there last time looking through the engine.

I also noticed my temperature dropping. A few months back I got a check coolant message, I topped up and everything was fine. My temp is usually 80 - 90 C. At idle it was at 80 and after a small rev to 2k RPM temp dropped to around 60 C and rose up after a few seconds. Thermostat pump potentially?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
hole in the plastic scoop ahead of the turbo?

i know the temp swings quite a bit under severe acceleration, and swings somewhat under normal drives, though if the temp high and low points are far from what they normally are, the posts here do suggest the pump or thermostat may need examination

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: I had the car towed to a local shop specializing in German cars. Was told today the turbo is shot. Was quoted $3080 for the total, $850 for labor the rest for the turbo.

Does this seem like a fair price? Thinking if I could do this on my own could save some money but also like the piece of mind that they will get to the bottom of it.

Should I instead source my own turbo? For example a turbokits: Mercedes CLA 250 Turbo Upgrade by TurboKits.com

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
if upgrading def give tk a buzz
if replacing they do sell just the rotary section and saves some $ as static parts reused
get good new seals for the oil and water lines

1 - 14 of 14 Posts