Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered my 3rd replacement front bumper cover, I've found that the plastic connectors that it uses are quick to break off even with the slightest accidental curb eating. Part is pasted below.

Lower Trim176-885-23-001$122.99

Anybody else have this problem? If so, what are the solutions I might seek out? should I put the replacement OEM one on when it gets here? I've seen people discuss aftermarket front bumper covers but I honestly don't want to order the wrong part much less try to install it myself. So, if I did find one that is recommended or looks great, I'd have to take it to a shop to get it put on.

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have just ordered my 3rd replacement front bumper cover, I've found that the plastic connectors that it uses are quick to break off even with the slightest accidental curb eating. Part is pasted below.

Lower Trim176-885-23-001$122.99

Anybody else have this problem? If so, what are the solutions I might seek out? should I put the replacement OEM one on when it gets here? I've seen people discuss aftermarket front bumper covers but I honestly don't want to order the wrong part much less try to install it myself. So, if I did find one that is recommended or looks great, I'd have to take it to a shop to get it put on.

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks
No what year is your CLA?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The factory part is fine, its been lowered I think you'd have the issue with no matter what you use. then again no expert.
good luck with this IJR !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The factory part is fine, its been lowered I think you'd have the issue with no matter what you use. then again no expert.
good luck with this IJR !!
It's the motorsport variant with green trim and AMG seats -- but not the AMG, just a flashy version of the base car with a turbo, paddle shifters and some nice looking teal accents. I haven't lowered it, I don't believe it's been lowered unless they did at the factory which I don't really know if they are supposed to make them so low. I mean, I get it You want the car to be low, but I just cringe so hard every time I eat a curb. ESPECIALLY if the bumper cover is gone. DOH!

I've seen parts on ebay that seem to be good recommendations. But i'd rather do my research and see if I can find someone who has already purchased an after market part and decided to possibly fasten it differently than the plastic expandable dowells that hold it into place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah, I hear you ...... that looks hot the green combo. maybe you need to give the parts on eBay ago. and maybe read some reviews and do more research as you said.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I had a look at the youtube video on the motorsport edition 2017 CLA 250, with the sports package, the height above ground of the front lower lip trim, is pretty similar to the 2014-2016 with the std sports suspension package CLA250.

In fact , my CLA 250 was recently dropped with the H&R sport springs, and I still don't come close to scraping over a bump. Granted, with the lowered stance, even with your motorsport edition, you don't want to be speeding over any speed bumps or potholes. You are not driving a SUV, hence it is a given that you drive your CLA with prudence over road speed bumps or potholes.

As one poster said, there is no aftermarket part that you can replace with that will prevent the scrapes or tearing off your front lip trim. It makes absolutely no sense why only you have that issue with constantly have to replace the front lip trim.
I have scraped my front spoiler lip trim, and it's because I was careless in how I drove my CLA.

My recommendation is work on your driving habits and be more more careful going over the road bumps and potholes, and also parking along curbs. It is not a defective design of the car, we all know that with a sports suspension, there will be a possibility of scraping the front lip trim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a look at the youtube video on the motorsport edition 2017 CLA 250, with the sports package, the height above ground of the front lower lip trim, is pretty similar to the 2014-2016 with the std sports suspension package CLA250.

In fact , my CLA 250 was recently dropped with the H&R sport springs, and I still don't come close to scraping over a bump. Granted, with the lowered stance, even with your motorsport edition, you don't want to be speeding over any speed bumps or potholes. You are not driving a SUV, hence it is a given that you drive your CLA with prudence over road speed bumps or potholes.

As one poster said, there is no aftermarket part that you can replace with that will prevent the scrapes or tearing off your front lip trim. It makes absolutely no sense why only you have that issue with constantly have to replace the front lip trim.
I have scraped my front spoiler lip trim, and it's because I was careless in how I drove my CLA.

My recommendation is work on your driving habits and be more more careful going over the road bumps and potholes, and also parking along curbs. It is not a defective design of the car, we all know that with a sports suspension, there will be a possibility of scraping the front lip trim.

lol. I was really enjoying reading your reply till right before the last paragraph I started to get the feeling you were going to harp on my driving skills. Does it count to you sir that I live in California? --- The only thing I will admit is that I eat curbs .. It's annoying. Next time I'll be getting an SUV variant of this vehicle (hopefully someday).

I'm going to contact the dealership today and find out why they canceled my replacement part order. I was hoping by posting here I might find someone who's already proceeded with a different front bumper cover and that might be able to post photos or recommend where I can look. I've found a few, but I can't seem to find a model year of my vehicle that has photos of what the product actually looks like installed after you receive it.

The solution I used previously was very wide velcro strips to stick it to the bottom of the car. What worked well, is that if I were to have an uh oh, the trim would let go and I could just get out of the car and put it back on. this worked up until I lost the trim somewhere when it had fallen off without me noticing.

Was just curious to see if anybody else has experienced this issue and has any recommendations. I do appreciate everyone's responses here. Thank You.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
@mav238
the 14-15 front lip is very different from the later years and seems more practical
@itsjustrobby
dont mind the “comments” we ribbbb each other here all the time
our calif curbs are so screwed up and inconsistent its a miracle most cars still have their show bumpers on
looks like an ebay run?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
@mav238
the 14-15 front lip is very different from the later years and seems more practical
@itsjustrobby
dont mind the “comments” we ribbbb each other here all the time
our calif curbs are so screwed up and inconsistent its a miracle most cars still have their show bumpers on
looks like an ebay run?
I may just end up with an aftermarket part from Ebay :) .. Oh yah, don't have a nice vehicle in California, the aforementioned potholes along with the oddly never consistently height parking blocks and curbs don't help. California doesn't let anyone have anything nice lol

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
With regards to the parking blocks, we have them here too in Vancouver. I got my front lip spoiler scraped during the first week of ownership , against the parking block. I didn’t pay attention to the front parking sensor , which had indicated that the parking block was very close to the front lip.

so what I was saying that I do understand the challenges with potholes and inconsistent height parking blocks , but since our CLAs have the front lip spoiler that is close to the ground , we just have to try to be careful ; otherwise , redo the suspension and raise it up a little.

One can’t keep buying parts to replace it every time it’s scraped. You can buy a metal scrape plateand put it on the front lip and it will still scrape.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the F1 edition too and have really crappy roads where I live and work. I'm not understanding why you are going through so many bumper covers. I have 175K miles on mine and I am on the original one.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Looking at a metal scrape plate / splitter that goes under the front lip spoiler ... might as well make it multifunctional

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I have the F1 edition too and have really crappy roads where I live and work. I'm not understanding why you are going through so many bumper covers. I have 175K miles on mine and I am on the original one.
My sentiments exactly... can you imagine folks who own 911 Porsche's, Maclaren's , Lambo's, they are all extremely low stanced as well with front lips close to the ground, and lots of them in LA too ... Can't imagine them going through lots of front lip spoiler's (those must cost a bomb to replace).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts