Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Just bought a 67 play CLA45, 6k mileage. Absolutely love it however after reading some things on here I’m starting to worry about common occurring issues. Still have around 9 months of warranty left so looking for an opinion on what’s worth pestering the dealer about and what’s considered “normal”.
Issues:
  • there’s a rattle in the exhaust when the car is in drive sitting at idle, and then when you start to move off. More predominant in sport + mode. Mercedes has said this is normal and just the mesh in the exhaust?
  • coming from an M140 there’s obviously a lot of differences, including the massive turbo noise! But there seems to be a constant whining coming from the front left hand side of car when driving, more noticeable at low speeds.
-when revving the engine in neutral/Park tas the engine comes back down to idle it seems to be very unsteady and jumpy.
  • when flooring it the car sounds great, however after shifting to second gear the exhaust noise disappears and then all you can hear is what I imagine is very loud turbo whine? Exhaust note returns in third
  • when changing gear at around 3k revs, not pushing the car hard, there seems to be a “whooshing” noise coming from the gearbox. Similar noise happens when downshifting from similar revs.
Apologies for the long post. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
867 Posts
"Play 67" - What do you mean by that?
What Model Year is it?
Did you buy from a MB Dealer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm guessing '67 play' is probably a typo for '67 plate'. i.e. a UK car registered in the second half of 2017.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was a typo. 67 plate which in the UK means second half of 2017. Not from MB dealer but from a large dealer network called Arnold Clark. There are Mercedes Benz dealer that fall under the Arnold Clark name and the car was still fully inspected and an “approved” car.

·
Registered
867 Posts
JWM -
IMHO rattles & whining & whooshing are not considered normal, they must be investigated by MB under your warranty.
"Mercedes has said..." - Need more details- Are you referring to the seller?
"Pestering the dealer.." - Yes pester him right away, document everything.
__
Fergus -
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding the exhaust rattle I have had this into Mercedes and they have said it is normal and just the mesh that is part of the exhaust and cannot be helped. I’ll try upload a clip of the sound.

·
Registered
867 Posts
JWM -
Again IMHO, I'm thinking that a solid approach would be to get a full MB* check-up expressing all of your concerns. Study the warranty to determine the terms and options you may have.
Is this an Arnold Clark warranty, or extended MB?
"Cannot be helped" - Does this mean that it cannot be repaired?? Try a different MB* dealer.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Also, Advise you visit

In the US we use "CARFAX"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. It has both a remaining MB warranty and 60 days Arnold Clark warranty.

Might be a stupid question but are you able to just book in your car for a full check up?

·
Registered
867 Posts
List each of your complaints and observations.
Tell your MB service advisor that you need to know everything that is wrong with your CLA and to fix whatever is covered under the MB warranty. They should be able to tell you if it has ever been serviced and if it needs service.
In the US we are able to get a pre-warranty expiration check at many dealers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts