Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CLA 250
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone ,
I’m looking to purchase winter tires for my CLA 250 with 18 “ AMG style wheels .
The all season tire size is : 225/40R18

can someone help me with what winter tire size should I go for.
Based on my research , winter tires usually should be of a smaller size .

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250 2.0L 4matic
21 Posts
Hello everyone ,
I’m looking to purchase winter tires for my CLA 250 with 18 “ AMG style wheels .
The all season tire size is : 225/40R18

can someone help me with what winter tire size should I go for.
Based on my research , winter tires usually should be of a smaller size .
Thinner tires (width, not sidewall) exert more ground pressure and are better suited to displacing snow under the wheels.

It depends how much snow you get in your area. If the roads are regularly plowed and it's just slush/ice/cold pavement, then 225 should do just fine.

If you regularly see 6" of snow or more, consider getting something like a 205. You sacrifice some outright grip for better traction in deep snow. You can reclaim some of that grip back by reducing tire pressure a bit for a better contact patch when it's not snow storm conditions outside.

In my experience, just having winter tires at all is 95% of the benefit as the rubber is better suited to lower temperatures. 4matic is nice and all but no substitute for having proper grip in the winter. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Agree with having dedicated winter tires if you live in places like Montreal, edmonton, saskatchewan , where you do get lots of snow and even ice during winter.

But in places like Vancouver BC, one can generally get away with a good all-weather tire, like Nokian GR3 or the new michelin cross climate tire.

Reactions: Ash-bt
1 - 3 of 3 Posts