Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I know you guys have seen me spamming the forum with a few of my installations.
I'd hardly call them mods, but I am 'modifying' the car from stock, so I thought i'd keep track.

As of 9/11/2017:
I have installed Lasfit H15 LED bulbs that are 36W each for daytime running lights/high beam.
I have also installed Blackvue DR490L-2CH dashcam.
I also have a gap pillow thing and a couple pillows for neck that I stuck a chrome MB logo onto.
I installed a door guard, because my garage is tight and I noticed that with my 2001 Volvo S80 that I often bump the door against the wall.

I have on order stainless steel pedal, Garmin pilot SD card (for those times I don't get data, such as some parts of my way down to LA and when I go camping), and a card holder that goes sort of on the center console cup holder.

I do plan on installing a Lasfit H7 LED bulbs for low beam.
Because this car is a lease, I'm not too keen on adding things like spoiler, as I leased because I was unsure whether I would want to actually keep the car for a long time.

I will make a list of items and their prices as I go.

As of 9/15/2017:
Grabbed a couple of license plate frames and screw sets to replace the PINK one I got from the dealer.
I support the cause, but maybe not using my vehicle.
Also upgraded storage on my dash cam to 64GB

9/30/2017:
Installed red vent rings.
Got scratches/paint chips on my hood, so gonna try to get that fixed on my own.
Have diamond grille stickers on order.

10/17/2017:
My car is still in the shop, so I'm waiting to install all these things I bought.
Things I have on order/received but not yet installed
LED Low beam bulb
Wheel accent (Red) - helps protect from curb rash too since in SF parallel parking is common
Door pin - non official just stainless steel; didn't want AMG ones for non AMG car
Lock cover - black stainless steel
Anti kick - goes on bottom portion of each door and helps protect it against kick as I tend to kick my door as I get out, especially in tight areas
Tire valve stem - May plasti dip my wheels black so got some black ones with Mercedes logo on top
Diamond sticker - To put on grille
LED logo - illuminated star for cheap. If I don't like it, I'll just take it off.
Interior LED lights
Pedal - not official MB ones

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arent these the self adhesive ones and all one size?
They ARE self adhesive, but they are of differing sizes. Ones toward middle seems to be smaller.
I think that's how they should be, but I don't have my car so I'm not quite sure.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
11/5/2017
Finished installing metal door pin, door lock cover, metal pedals, chrome grill stickers.
The spoiler didn't work out very well. It was a bit weird shape.
Wrapping the trim was difficult so I scrapped that. The LB didn't fit into the socket, so it was returned.
Will have more pics when I get around to it hopefully.

IMG_2663.jpg IMG_2692.jpg

·
Registered
219 Posts
Look'in good. Those dimond grill stickers have got to be tedious to install

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have no idea. Thankfully my girlfriend helped me and she had quite a knack for it and finished it in 15 minutes. It looks pretty good and I didn?t have to pay howmuchever for the actual ones! Haha.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a quick snap of how the grille turned out!
Sorry it's blurry. I had to super hurry. I'll get proper pics tomorrow.
IMG_2694.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could not find any LED that would fit H7 for Mercedes, so I may just get a much brighter halogen bulb.
Also, the star would work, but I couldn't decide where to plug it into, so I bought a genuine OEM one with harness used for ~150 off of eBay and will just be installing that.

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
I could not find any LED that would fit H7 for Mercedes, so I may just get a much brighter halogen bulb.
I did that on an older car (55 -> 80W) and promptly melted the connector/harness joint since its 45% more current.
You may want to check the wire gauge on your halogen system ... and since the voltage drop along the harness is linear with current, plus the heating of said harness run goes up by current squared, which comes out to excess power draw along the harness before getting to the bulb, the system may perceive the excess as a short and toss an error.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did that on an older car (55 -> 80W) and promptly melted the connector/harness joint since its 45% more current.
You may want to check the wire gauge on your halogen system ... and since the voltage drop along the harness is linear with current, plus the heating of said harness run goes up by current squared, which comes out to excess power draw along the harness before getting to the bulb, the system may perceive the excess as a short and toss an error.
Oh the wire is fine. When I left it plugged no errors returned in ~20 minutes. It?s just that bulb doesn?t actually go securely into the bulb holder possibly due to change in design for halogen mount or something. It seems merc uses custom mounting for H7 (of course why wouldn?t they)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
well ... the H7 mounts are standard ... its just the (cheap) aftermarket LEDs dont always conform to the mount standards cuz they are adapting via poor design efforts
as for your wiring ... a halogen bulb on a H7 mount will fit and you can bet your ass it will draw more current ... and the immediate mounting area may or may not tolerate
the excessive bulb heat ... but thats just presumptions ... hope everything works out!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Connecting it and getting LED to come on was fine. But getting the LED to click into place with Merc's custom mounting shit... No bueno.
I ended up just grabbing Philips CV Ultra and Xtreme VIsion. Probably going to keep Xtreme Vision and return the CVU as it's not that white ish and Xtreme Vision looks brighter imo.
And I decided not to chuck $700 on projector retrofit or $3k on LED OEM retrofit because, well, I'm just gonna either do something else to the car with that amount or just put it toward my next car that will most likely be a Tesla or a BMW i8 XD

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Happy Thanksgiving!
And with Thanksgiving, comes more time, which means more time to do stuff with the CLA!
I just did a quick waterless wash and applied Rain X to my windhisleds.
Despite my worries that there may be streaks or haziness as written in a few reviews, none of that happened.

Now after that boring stuff, I got to something that I personally felt I needed; a wheel protector.
Due to my location and my terrible parallel parking skills (maybe I should've gotten the driver assistance package...), I felt like it was necessary.
It came out pretty well and I actually kind of like it.

The other pictures are for some things I've done before but forgot to post pics of. Tire valve cap, door pin, and lock cover. IMG_2663.jpg IMG_2721.jpg IMG_2723.jpg IMG_3651.jpg

1 - 20 of 76 Posts