Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 CLA with Comand online (part code 531 COMAND Online).

In short I'm looking for a way to play video's on the system so my girlfriend can watch/listen to her lectures while we're on a long drive.

After looking into enabling VIM, I haven't been able to get into the Engineering menu.
When I turn the key and I try combinations as hang up 1 3 and pound I get a message "no drive"
When I have the system just on and hold the hang-up button on the stearing wheel (on the console it doesn't work) and holding 1 and pound or 8 seconds it DOES give me a loud chime sound indicating "something happened" but I can't discover what. I assume it's something as toggling TA which happens when you hold mute.

So, something is happening but I don't know what. Are there anywhere manuals for these key combinations ?

As my last attempt I used the export fuction to export settings on the SDCard - which generates 3 files. Googling for the filename I came across a guys' resumé where he eplains he developed some export/import tooling to and from different car systems, by Base64 encoding settings in xml format. But I haven't managed to decode the files to the xml files that were hinted towards. So I assume the files are salted. But I doubt it would hold a setting like engineering mode toggles. (so i wont bother the guy about it. As it was his job over 10 years ago.)

Since I have gone the route rooting an Android, installing Android Auto and YouTubeAuto but it's not and optimal solution without touchscreen.
So, I thought; Maybe screencasting? Or mirrorlink ? So she can just cast her screen ? Seeing people activating Mirrorlink in the Comand system on a CLA I really want to get into it.

Is there any way to get into the engineering menu ? Or can someone give me a direction where to start digging to find a way ?
Programming or not ? It would seem possible because people are selling sdcards with some code to activate VIM mode or switch to AMG mode. But buying some shady sdcard to flick on an option in a car you bought, and have an upgraded media system with "unreachable features" is kindof frustrating.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Yeah the system is kinda locked up
The 18s have the newer ntg5xx head units and if I recall the dealer service tech can enable engineering mode access ... one member noted they left that access in error and of course closed that loophole
This files export is an interesting twist though I thought that was just existing settings / params / perfs / poi log etc
So whats the deal with using those (passive) files to (actively) modify sys run params?
Would love to hear about it
Presume those are similar to the vim cd one can buy to enable vim ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts