Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2018 CLA250 Mods

Hello all! I recently picked up a 2018 cla 250 (with amg styling) and have big plans for the car in the future. I thought I would bring everyone along for the ride and get help along the way since I am new to modding cars. I will keep this thread updated and will appreciate any suggestions or guidance for my car. Thanks and remember to stay posted :)

12/21/17
Muffler delete
- got a muffler delete for $140 (didn't need additional tips since mine are integrated into the bumper)
- got a Y-pipe welded after mufflers were cut (1 hour max)
- more aggressive sound by far (minimal drone)
- occasional backfire and crackle in first gear when driving around parking lots
- great exhaust note ( looking for more volume in the future )

03/03/18
Aero Kit for front bumper ($300 with free shipping)
- finally ordered a front splitter (exactly like the face lift cla45 aero package)
- this is not an in depth guide on installation and details for more info refer to http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/34...-faclift-flics-canards-etc-picture-heavy.html
- purchased from https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAINTED-Bl...aps-/323042661352?vxp=mtr&hash=item4b36d7d3e8 (claimed for delivery to be a month, pleasantly surprised when it came in a week)
- moderate modification necessary to fit onto a cla250 (needs amg styling)
- very well made, similar to OEM aero on cla45, gloss black finish
- don't have pictures of installation unfortunately
some pictures below

03/29/2018
CLA 45 (Face lift) Diffuser install ($300 with free shipping)
- got around to finally completing the look of the car by adding a more aggressive diffuser
- Installation took about an hour (easy fitment no modification necessary)
- came with silver quad tips but chose not to black out tips (night package) to stay with the silver/black contrasting theme
- makes the rear a lot more aggressive and gives it a lower stance

05/06/2018
Been a while since I've done anything to the car but finally got around to tinting the windows!
- 250$ final for the tint
- 35% ceramic tint on the driver and passenger windows
- 35% high performance tint on the rear two windows
- 35% high performance tint on the rear windshield
- tints came out very well (looks better in person)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Motor vehicle

Thinking of starting first performance mod with an intake. Its either going to be from HG Motorsports or AEM. AEM is a lot cheaper (325) than the HG (600) but is there any performance difference between the two?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Picked up a 2018 cla 250 about 3 months ago, looking to get some performance mods. Thinking of starting with an intake. Its either going to be from HG Motorsports or AEM. AEM is a lot cheaper (325) than the HG (600) but is there any performance difference between the two?
I know I would get the AEM one, for the price, the design is similar, however the HGM one is easier to service (taking the filter out is way easier compared to AEM). The HGM one also comes with a small heatshield, if you take your car for a drive you will notice the airscoop closest to the turbo gets very hot.

As for first mods I will always recommend a stage 1 ECU tune, it's the best hp/dollar you will get. People often complain about throttle response and often buy Pedal Commander or some sort of accelerator tweaking box, however with ECU tuning I find the car to be super responsive.

On that note I did get worried about warranty issues, but I asked my dealer to perform simple service and not touch the ECU. So far it's been 1.5 years with the tune and I've had 0 problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I would get the AEM one, for the price, the design is similar, however the HGM one is easier to service (taking the filter out is way easier compared to AEM). The HGM one also comes with a small heatshield, if you take your car for a drive you will notice the airscoop closest to the turbo gets very hot.

As for first mods I will always recommend a stage 1 ECU tune, it's the best hp/dollar you will get. People often complain about throttle response and often buy Pedal Commander or some sort of accelerator tweaking box, however with ECU tuning I find the car to be super responsive.

On that note I did get worried about warranty issues, but I asked my dealer to perform simple service and not touch the ECU. So far it's been 1.5 years with the tune and I've had 0 problems.
Alright so do you think I should go with the HGM stage 1 pack with the intake and ECU tune for 1,500. I'll see if I can get a discount with a coupon or something. Also if you don't mind me asking, what have you done to your car already and how does it feel? Thanks a lot man

·
Registered
68 Posts
Alright so do you think I should go with the HGM stage 1 pack with the intake and ECU tune for 1,500. I'll see if I can get a discount with a coupon or something. Also if you don't mind me asking, what have you done to your car already and how does it feel? Thanks a lot man
An ECU tune for 1500? USD? I think that is way too much for a tune. I've done highflow downpipe, intercooler, intake, first resonator delete and muffler change. All this paired with a Stage 2 ECU tune. If I were you I'd go with one of the Power Packages turbokits offers.
TurboKits.com » Performance Power Packages
They are usually quick to answer here on the forum.

On a separate note, it feels like a whole different car... at 225whp (around 270hp at crank) it's a nice step in between the AMG models and the 250 models.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just noticed you meant 1500 for both intake and tune sorry. My recommendation still goes to the turbokits packages.

Also forgot to mention that I got a GFB DV+ diverter valve and it changed the engine response quite a bit, also holds boost better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just noticed you meant 1500 for both intake and tune sorry. My recommendation still goes to the turbokits packages.

Also forgot to mention that I got a GFB DV+ diverter valve and it changed the engine response quite a bit, also holds boost better.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm interested in either the stage 2 or 3 power package from turbokits. Is there any difference between the stage 2 and 3 AMR flash? Stage 3 comes with an intercooler which I would like in the future, but is not currently necessary.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm interested in either the stage 2 or 3 power package from turbokits. Is there any difference between the stage 2 and 3 AMR flash? Stage 3 comes with an intercooler which I would like in the future, but is not currently necessary.
Well, maybe. I can't tell for sure however I can tell you that after I got the intercooler as long as boost hit temps got crazily close to ambient. The stock intercooler heatsoaks after 2 or 3 runs so you might want to go with water meth if you want to keep the stock IC. More octane and cooler IATs.

Regarding the flash... since air gets hotter at higher rpms with the stock IC... I'm sure the tune has to be less agressive at rpms over 4500. So yeah the flash should be different.

(On a final note the turbo has a muffler in it and the piping that comes with the intercooler removes such muffler)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
03/03/18
Aero Kit for front bumper ($300 with free shipping)
- finally ordered a front splitter (exactly like the face lift cla45 aero package)
- this is not an in depth guide on installation and details for more info refer to http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/34...-faclift-flics-canards-etc-picture-heavy.html
- purchased from https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAINTED-Bl...aps-/323042661352?vxp=mtr&hash=item4b36d7d3e8 (claimed for delivery to be a month, pleasantly surprised when it came in a week)
- moderate modification necessary to fit onto a cla250 (needs amg styling)
- very well made, similar to OEM aero on cla45, gloss black finish
- don't have pictures of installation unfortunately
some pictures below
View attachment 57001
View attachment 56993
View attachment 57009
View attachment 57017

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi mate, could you please explain what you mean by "moderate modification necessary to fit onto a cla250 (needs amg styling)". If our CLA250 came with the AMG body styling (i.e. Sport/Sport Plus package), does it then not require any modification?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi mate, could you please explain what you mean by "moderate modification necessary to fit onto a cla250 (needs amg styling)". If our CLA250 came with the AMG body styling (i.e. Sport/Sport Plus package), does it then not require any modification?
Sorry about that, the way I phrased it made it seem like I meant the modification was to have amg styling. What I meant to say was the parts would only fit a CLA with amg styling but they still need to be modified. It took me about 4 hours to complete the install and it was a little tedious but I highly recommend putting some time into it (maybe getting friends to help). It really changes the aesthetic of the car and at the end, you'll be very happy with the finished product. For more information on the installation refer to http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/34...-faclift-flics-canards-etc-picture-heavy.html since it goes in depth on the modification necessary. Feel free to ask me questions as well, good luck :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
03/29/2018
CLA 45 (Face lift) Diffuser install ($300 with free shipping)
- got around to finally completing the look of the car by adding a more aggressive diffuser
- Installation took about an hour (easy fitment no modification necessary)
- came with silver quad tips but chose not to black out tips (night package) to stay with the silver/black contrasting theme
- makes the rear a lot more aggressive and gives it a lower stance
- will post more pics during the day :)

View attachment 57553
View attachment 57561

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am about to decide to buy a CLA 250 sport, but I have found criticism regarding the engine's power and the hardness of the suspension.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts