Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Novice, here. I purchased a 2018 CLA45 AMG in June 2020. I've not really had any issues with it until now. It was raining this morning, fairly heavily, but not storming. I had cruise control set to 68mph on the highway, and at some point, it felt like I may have hydroplaned or hit a pothole or something, although I didn't actually see anything in the road. Immediately after, it started pulling to the right side and wobbling(for lack of a better term?). It felt as if I had a flat tire, but that wasn't the case. All was smooth unless I tried to accelerate past 55-60mph.
Any ideas what the issue could be?

*a couple of other minor things I'll note just in case it could be related: I've noticed that the ride has become a lot more bumpy recently, like I can feel every little imperfection in the road, even in comfort mode. I don't remember it being that bad when I first got it, although my husband swears it was. Also I've noticed squeaking/squealing when braking. I had my brake pads & rotors checked last month and they're still in great condition. Mechanic advised me that it can be caused by brake dust on the rotors.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Welcome to the CLA Forum @shellielew :)
Without a visual inspection on a lift, we would be delaying a fix for something, which may be safety related. Suggest you let your dealer take a look immediately. You are still under the factory warranty for parts failure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the CLA Forum @shellielew :)
Without a visual inspection on a lift, we would be delaying a fix for something, which may be safety related. Suggest you let your dealer take a look immediately. You are still under the factory warranty for parts failure.
I'll call them right away! Thank you! :)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I was finally able to get it into the dealership yesterday. Forgive me because I am a complete newb and cannot remember technical names of anything the mechanic said lol, but I'll explain the best I can remember. As far as the pulling issue, apparently the previous owner dipped it over a curb or something with some pretty heavy impact under the front passenger side and cracked a casing that houses some wiring. This knocked it out of alignment severely and also damaged some of the wiring that manages acceleration (or something like that?) and that's why I was experiencing issues when accelerating up to 60mph in the rain. The misalignment ate through a brand new tire I'd just purchased in October, so the bald tire was a big issue as well. Unfortunately none of that is covered under the warranty, so I'm out roughly $900 in parts and labor there.

On the warranty side of things, turns out that there was some sort of malfunction in the sensor(?) that switches the suspension settings, so mine was stuck in sport suspension mode and causing the bumpy ride. I'm beyond excited to have that corrected!
As for the squeaking brakes, the pads and rotors were both in excellent shape, so I'm not sure if there could've been another issue there or not. I'll have to remember to ask him for clarification on that when I pick it up on Monday... Which leads me to my next point:

The mechanic noticed that my driver door made a rattling noise when he closed it, so he took the casing off and discovered that a bolt had come loose in the part that holds the window. That's covered under warranty, so he attempted to repair it, but somehow shattered the glass in the process. They ordered a new glass which isn't going to be in until Monday at the earliest, so I'm driving a loaned 2021 GLA250 for the time being (totally in love with it btw & seriously considering trading in for a 2021 CLA or GLA AMG next year when my warranty expires). Now my dilemma is that I'd just gotten my windows tinted in October. When the dealership called to explain the mishap to me, he said that the only issue is that the new glass will not be tinted. I'm a bit of a pushover and was really polite about the whole thing, but now I'm thinking that it's not quite fair for me to have to pay to re-tint my window when that was a mistake on their part. How would you handle the situation?
I'll make a separate thread for advice on this one, but I figured I'd also mention it here in my update.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
OK shellielew,
So far, so good ✅
a) Determine what the cost will be to have that one window re-tinted, exactly the way you want it...from the original tint company. Then come back here and tell us the cost...we have a plan.
b) When the tint is applied, will you be able to wait, or will you have to rent a car?

Reactions: shellielew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK shellielew,
So far, so good ✅
a) Determine what the cost will be to have that one window re-tinted, exactly the way you want it...from the original tint company. Then come back here and tell us the cost...we have a plan.
b) When the tint is applied, will you be able to wait, or will you have to rent a car?
I'm waiting on a call back from the tint company now. Will update as soon as I hear back. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, can you give us the websites for the dealer and tint co.
I just heard back from the dealer, and the tint for that one widow is only going to be $35, so not much at all in the grand scheme of things... it’s just a bit of an inconvenience overall. I will be able to wait while it’s re-tinted, so I’m not out the cost of a rental.

The dealer is:
but I should maybe point out that I didn’t originally purchase from them. We purchased from a dealer in Miami based on their ebay listing, but they’re about 15hrs from us. The dealer above is the closest to us at about 2hrs away, so we go there for parts and maintenance.

I don’t believe the tint company has a website, but this is their facebook URL:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
...the tint for that one widow is only going to be $35...
I have communicated with the General Manager at your dealer asking him to cover the $35...I'll see what he says.
Will need your name as they know it...my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have communicated with the General Manager at your dealer asking him to cover the $35...I'll see what he says.
Tricky situation... the dealer I guess is obligated to cover any damage to oem equipment and optional equipment on the car, but a tint on the window may not be subject to an obligation by the dealer to cover aftermarket add ons. Depends on the State consumer protection laws.

For $35, I would assume the dealer would cover it out of goodwill to customer and reduce any hassle.

Think of it this way, if we modified the car from it's factory delivered form, and the dealer works on the car, and something happens or breaks, and part of that component was modified aftermarket (e.g. add on performance muffler)... I would think the dealer would be really only responsible for fixing the issue, with original factory parts, to where it was factory as per warranty... JMHO

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Yeah the goodwill fund will cover the tint

Though for the more critical and safety components - nope

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
1/22/21
shellielew:
Since I did not hear back from you, it was impossible to give this any of my normal follow-up on your behalf.
You will have to take your own next steps, if you wish. Suggest that you continue the discussion by making an appointment, (or just visit with him on your next visit) with Mr. Mark Gold, General Manager, (859)268-1150. Best of luck to you.
1/26/21

1 - 14 of 14 Posts