Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had the car a year and I have had to replace both front tires and rims. There was a class action lawsuit that was dismissed in their favor in 2015. However, they continue to put the same tires on the car. Don't buy this car. They make excuses you will be dissapointing. I drove a Toyota 3 yrs and had no issues. Down the drain 2k I will have to turn this car in.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
What happened Re: 2 tires And 2 rims? Take us through the actual events.

·
Registered
11,875 Posts
geee .... presume you mean the luppino suit
still have my oem rims/tires since pickup on 3/31/14 but guess its where one travels and the road conditions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not had the car a year and I have had to replace both front tires and rims. There was a class action lawsuit that was dismissed in their favor in 2015. However, they continue to put the same tires on the car. Don't buy this car. They make excuses you will be dissapointing. I drove a Toyota 3 yrs and had no issues. Down the drain 2k I will have to turn this car in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought car Nov 18 and needed a tire 3 months later. Thought ok anything can happen. Just this month had a cracked wheel same side as replaced tire. Other tire had bubble along with cracked rim. I drove a Toyota prior and never had these issues. They do have a suite that was dismissed. Spoke with dealer and trust me they are aware. However, what their doing about it is the issue. Nothing.

·
Registered
11,875 Posts
Well to be fair ... what conditions do the tires go through? Mostly smooth roads or war zones?

What is the typical air pressure noted in the instrument cluster? How often is the air pressure checked? Ones life rides on those 4 contact patches so at least checking the air and tread condition ever so often is warranted.

Even the best tires dont like to have its sidewalls pinched (pot holes ... parked up against a curb edge ... etc) as those incidents will pop the inner layers apart and then bubbles form, it gets weak and does do its job of absorbing shock etc.

Cracked rims could be from anything on bad roads like potholes, sunken manhole covers, and raised road section gap joints. They do a number on the tires rims and alignment. I hate those unnecessary imperfections with a passion especially considering the damn taxes and fees they steal from us. But I digress.

You dont happen to have a pic of the cracked rim example??

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
@Yolonda - What were the events which caused the damage? Did you file a report with www.NHTSA.gov? Also, what did your insurance co. say?

@jmc -I think Vince Luppino and a couple of other guys, were saying the rims wouldn't hold up when slamming into curbs & potholes because of the low profile tires. The courts did not grant them class action status, as far as I know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did hit a pothole on the first tire. The other mishaps to my car were normal wear and tear. I kept the tires at the recommended tire pressure and it will alert you if tire pressure goes below. I have been driving for over 30 years and have never had these isses. Here is last picture. This tire had a bubble. These are same complaints in lawsuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
@Yolonda - What were the events which caused the damage? Did you file a report with www.NHTSA.gov? Also, what did your insurance co. say?

@jmc -I think Vince Luppino and a couple of other guys, were saying the rims wouldn't hold up when slamming into curbs & potholes because of the low profile tires. The courts did not grant them class action status, as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hi Yolonda,
*Check with your insurance company on the rim. - Comprehensive road hazard damage.
*Pirelli should take care of the bubble replacement depending on time & mileage. - Manufacturing defect.
Most of us agree with your position and do not like the run flats low profile, but MB is not unique in using them. Please fill out a complaint to NHTSA and send MBUSA a copy, so that they will know how we feel.
Thanks from your Forum brothers & sisters.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Yolanda. I, like many others, haven't had issues with the rims or tires. I have scraped my
rims three or four times, which was fixed under my Appearance package I paid for, but nothing more
than cosmetic damage.

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
11,875 Posts
I did hit a pothole on the first tire. The other mishaps to my car were normal wear and tear. I kept the tires at the recommended tire pressure and it will alert you if tire pressure goes below. I have been driving for over 30 years and have never had these isses. Here is last picture. This tire had a bubble. These are same complaints in lawsuit.
holy fractures batwoman that must have been some pothole
normal wear and tear from the oem standpoint may not include what we think it should include
did your other cars have steel rims?

·
Registered
11,875 Posts
it's the "slamming" part that goes towards user error ... if it's raining and an unseen deep pothole causes damage that's one thing (i had that happen and the city paid for my rims and the bump to my head cuz that pothole was 10" deep) though driving into curbs etc is a tough sell for a remedy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my CLA 45 for slightly over a year and had to replace all 4 tires: went for scheduled maintenance (to a local trusted MB expert/friend) and found that the 2 front tires were worn to the METAL on the inside of the tires...you cannot see the wear unless you crank the wheel all the way to one side and actually touch on the inside of the tire...no computer warning. Turns out, from the dealership, the settings on the computer for tire pressure were 10lbs LOWER than the specialized tires they placed on the car. I had to go immediately and replace the front 2 tires and with the wear and tear on the back 2 ended up replacing all 4 and Discount Tire set the tire pressure correctly on the computer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my CLA 45 for slightly over a year and had to replace all 4 tires: went for scheduled maintenance (to a local trusted MB expert/friend) and found that the 2 front tires were worn to the METAL on the inside of the tires...you cannot see the wear unless you crank the wheel all the way to one side and actually touch on the inside of the tire...no computer warning. Turns out, from the dealership, the settings on the computer for tire pressure were 10lbs LOWER than the specialized tires they placed on the car. I had to go immediately and replace the front 2 tires and with the wear and tear on the back 2 ended up replacing all 4 and Discount Tire set the tire pressure correctly on the computer.
So I feel ya!

·
Registered
11,875 Posts
Sometimes I wonder about the techs at dealerships ... especially with something so basic within their work assignments
As far as tire pressures I dont trust anything except an old school calibrated gauge ... everything else is just relative monitoring
Wonder why your cluster tpms readings did not reflect the -10psi delta? It would have displayed something like 26/22psi ...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Holy crap. This is something I would expect with a cheap knockoff tire. Thats an insane crack - .sorry to hear that you had to go through this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im sorry to hear that about your car. Thanks for sharing. If more people speak up maybe something will be done.

·
Registered
395 Posts
So I noticed my tires were all wonky today so I double checked the tire pressure. 38 psi. I added a couple more psi (to 41). No difference. It’s really strange to see tires behave this way on a slight angle curb.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts