Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
So I noticed my tires were all wonky today so I double checked the tire pressure. 38 psi. I added a couple more psi (to 41). No difference. It’s really strange to see tires behave this way on a slight angle curb.

wow ... which michelin is this? that's a bad pinch, angled curb or not ...
when i had the bridgestone rfts never had this no matter where i parked it
will test this type of surface out on the conti's soon

·
Registered
545 Posts
So I noticed my tires were all wonky today so I double checked the tire pressure. 38 psi. I added a couple more psi (to 41). No difference. It’s really strange to see tires behave this way on a slight angle curb.

That doesn’t look normal. Never seen a tire do that, I would take it back to the shop if it’s new - looks like a safety risk.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Guess many feel the pain too ...

If you get a chance to check your pinch, let me know. I’m not sure if these tires are defective or what, but I feel like these sidewalks don’t even support the weight of the car. I may have to inflate them above MB’s recommenced pressure for safety reasons.

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
If you get a chance to check your pinch, let me know. I’m not sure if these tires are defective or what, but I feel like these sidewalks don’t even support the weight of the car. I may have to inflate them above MB’s recommenced pressure for safety reasons.
Will do ... though to first order I also noticed this on the previous generation ContiEC which were on an older car ... similar sidewall fold when parked against a curved curb
And sure enough a couple bubbles formed in that area later on and the pissy thing was those tires were pretty new still <2k miles

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have the exact same tires as3 plus and I did notice a little bit of a pinch on mine, my tires are at 38 PSI but they don't look as bad as yours maybe I should double-check mine again. how is your driving? And where did you get your tires from and did you get them brand new?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have the exact same tires as3 plus and I did notice a little bit of a pinch my, tiresare at 38 PSI but they don't look as bad as yours maybe I should double-check mine again. how is your driving? And where did you get your tires from and did you get them brand new?
I got my tires at Discount Tires, new. They took the Drive Guard RFTs in on trade (got $150 off the Michelins plus $100 labor day sale rebate).

The drive is good, but only slightly better than the Drive Guards. They feel a little squishy when corning compared to the RFTs, but I’ll get used to it. But I’m now concerned about cracked wheels when I hit a pothole.

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
They feel a little squishy when corning compared to the RFTs, but I’ll get used to it.
You too huh?
Theres this nice banked (<80mph) onramp here with a couple bad expansion joints ... the rfts just bump and keep going ... the nonrfts do a bump + bounce + 1/2bounce ... and almost almost almost feels like break away
If it werent for the lighter wheels letting the springs get the contact patch back down quicker I think I would slide a bit

·
Registered
395 Posts
So I took the car in due to a humming sound and some tire noises when making turns. At first, the dealer thought the struts needed grease—which I didn’t buy, but I paid the $200 anyway hoping it was fixed.

I drove it over the weekend from Seattle to Vancouver, BC, and passengers in the car were noticing the humming and tiring “scratching” sound when turning.

I took it back yesterday, test drove the car with a tech, and left the car there. I got a message this morning that they are ordering a differential for the car. Thank god for the MB extended warranty.

I’m hoping that with a new differential, my gripes about non-RFTs being similar to RFTs will be resolved.

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
Wow another diff bites the dust? This issue is starting to pop up more often ... glad they tracked it down and fixing with no hassle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not had the car a year and I have had to replace both front tires and rims. There was a class action lawsuit that was dismissed in their favor in 2015. However, they continue to put the same tires on the car. Don't buy this car. They make excuses you will be dissapointing. I drove a Toyota 3 yrs and had no issues. Down the drain 2k I will have to turn this car in.
@Yolando I totally agree with you regarding the rims and tires! I have a 2019 CLA 250 and had to replace all 4 tires already! The front rims are needing to replace as well! I didn’t actually didn’t hit a pothole I was traveling along a road that was rough and this is the same road I traveled when I had a Nissan and never experienced an issue! Since having the car I’ve all type of tire issues! This was my first Mercedes and it has not been a good experience. I can’t wait to trade this car in I’m tire of throwing money at tire issues. Forget the tire plan you buy and pay for every month with your car payment it’s absolutely unless!

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
Wait ... 4 tires ... 2 rims
Have a picture of this rough road??
Wanna see the actual conditions

Cuz I did hit a pothole once very early on though the 18” rim with a rft tire showed no runout and kept alignment for 5yrs over 23k

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not had the car a year and I have had to replace both front tires and rims. There was a class action lawsuit that was dismissed in their favor in 2015. However, they continue to put the same tires on the car. Don't buy this car. They make excuses you will be dissapointing. I drove a Toyota 3 yrs and had no issues. Down the drain 2k I will have to turn this car in.
I have replaced 4 tires and 4 rims on my Mercedes CLA 250 2015. Today another rim cracked and I'm getting rid of the car. I don't feel safe anymore!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have replaced 4 tires and 4 rims on my Mercedes CLA 250 2015. Today another rim cracked and I'm getting rid of the car. I don't feel safe anymore!
I have 50k miles on my 2014 and rims are a fine. Just a lot of bad luck on your part...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have driven 120,000 km on the car , and changed out one set of tires due to a flat (RFTs). Now running on michelins AS 3+, its been okay.

Vancouver (Canada) roads are riddled with pot-holes everywhere, and even though I know in principle wheels should be able to take some jolts, but all it takes is a very tiny imperfection in the wheel, and hitting the pothole in a odd way, and you get the hair-line crack which can turn into a major crack. My eyes are always peeled for potholes, and trying to either avoid them or end up going over them very slowly.

Everything in manufacturing always have a small % of product that is not "perfect". There is no manufacturing process that will guarantee 100% flaw-free products that makes it past quality control. Typically 0.1% flaw rate is acceptable, and if you make 100,000 of these wheels (equivalent to 25,000 CLAs), it equals 100 wheels. Not signficant in the scheme of things, but not totally zero either.

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
yeah just some cases hit all the potholes and prodholes ;)
i avoid potholes or even undulations like the plague ... and knock on aluminum or squeeze on rubber ... thoughso far so good no busted rims or wanged alignment ... my 14 which i picked up on 3/31/14 in germany still had its oem alignment, and the tire wear tracking and surface scrub bear that out
almost dont want some alignment tech to mess it up my mistake, huh? geeee

21 - 40 of 54 Posts