Mercedes CLA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
61 Posts
yes :D as allways i have one there, so i can wipe down the dash at red lights :cool:
Hi WhatsoN - It seems that you decided to keep this 2020 model, correct? Mine has arrived at dealer but waiting for it to be "prepared" and cleaned, checked out, etc... It is Polar White and Beige interior (wife will be the driver, so she picks the colors. My car is a 2018 Alfa Giulia). Wishing we had selected the logo projector lights, they look pretty cool I think. besides also needing the microfiber cloth, what else should I be looking for? How do you like the car?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi WhatsoN - It seems that you decided to keep this 2020 model, correct? Mine has arrived at dealer but waiting for it to be "prepared" and cleaned, checked out, etc... It is Polar White and Beige interior (wife will be the driver, so she picks the colors. My car is a 2018 Alfa Giulia). Wishing we had selected the logo projector lights, they look pretty cool I think. besides also needing the microfiber cloth, what else should I be looking for? How do you like the car?
I love the car! but have a look if you got the „in car store“ looks like a shoppingbag - if not you don‘t have the fresh up 2 (newest mbux version) makes in sound quality a big step up. My projectors came from aliexpress ... :D E class and cls are the same so they fit!

hmm i would go for the lil storage box in the armrest

CHF 10.35 22% Rabatt | NEUE Für Mercedes Benz B CLA Klasse W247 B180 B200 C118 CLA250 220d 2020 Auto Zentrale Armlehne Box Lagerung Box veranstalter Tray

CHF 11.50 22% Rabatt | 2X Für Mercedes Benz E coupe w213 c238 (2 türen) led Auto logo Licht tür licht logo geist schatten licht Zubehör

CHF 177.89 9% Rabatt | CLA W118 GT stil Gitter für Mercedes Front Grill für CLA Klasse W118 C118 2019 neue modell grille

CHF 1.65 44% Rabatt | Neue TPU Auto Remote Key Fall Shell Für Mercedes Benz E Klasse E200 E260 E300 E320 Schutzhülle Schlüssel Abdeckung Fob halter
1D321352-6B0B-4987-B6C9-E6C872D1D18A.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
61 Posts
Thank you WhatsoN! Those are very useful links. We picked up the car 7 days ago and it's just great! Only thing missing is the lack of keyless opening of the doors, which the 2016 model had. It does have the remote start via the phone App "Mercedes Me Connect" which I did get working., I just ordered the projector lights! Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Well maybe the rear cam can keep an eye on them for you
Theres gotta be a way to remove or at least reprofile them (here come the aftermarkets)

·
Registered
132 Posts
The rear bumper nubs are there for your own benefit. The are meant reduce be amount of damage the car sustains from a bumper collision, and are fairly well blended if they are body colored...typically on sport models. I would rather have them than not.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Though our euro cousins dont get that benefit ...
Or perhaps they dont need it

For me its just a personal thing ... reminds me of the days when those ridiculous bumpers were mandated in 1974-75 and screwed up many otherwise acceptable designs not to mention all that added weight

Now this is a bit of soapbox:
here ... those lumps will not sustain a constant 2.5mph X 3250lb momentum unless they are solid and backed with a grid piled up against a subframe (which they aint) which means the bumper cover is toast anyway and these from what I saw are all show bumpers over a frame bar
Of course the insurance angle is a whole new can of worms ... but it seems common sense is nowhere to be found in terms of absolute physical function - ie sustain 2.5mph X 3250lb hit without “any” damage ... nonelastic material deformation and surface or paint destruction negates the “any” comment ... which means it needs to be replaced so why not start with less complex less expensive parts to begin with and save on insurance fees and parts production costs etc etc etc
btw that momentum against a set of knees really hurts! with lots of snapcrackle&pop
So I must be missing something .....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love the look of my euro spec CLA, and think the US bumpers just look ‘wrong’. Each to their own, but I’d choose aesthetics over this particular piece of functionality.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I love the look of my euro spec CLA, and think the US bumpers just look ‘wrong’. Each to their own, but I’d choose aesthetics over this particular piece of functionality.
yeah ... if i ever get one of these those lumps will have to go one way or another ...
but who knows wait a couple years and those may disappear on their own with midcycle updates :cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Though our euro cousins dont get that benefit ...
Or perhaps they dont need it

For me its just a personal thing ... reminds me of the days when those ridiculous bumpers were mandated in 1974-75 and screwed up many otherwise acceptable designs not to mention all that added weight

Now this is a bit of soapbox:
here ... those lumps will not sustain a constant 2.5mph X 3250lb momentum unless they are solid and backed with a grid piled up against a subframe (which they aint) which means the bumper cover is toast anyway and these from what I saw are all show bumpers over a frame bar
Of course the insurance angle is a whole new can of worms ... but it seems common sense is nowhere to be found in terms of absolute physical function - ie sustain 2.5mph X 3250lb hit without “any” damage ... nonelastic material deformation and surface or paint destruction negates the “any” comment ... which means it needs to be replaced so why not start with less complex less expensive parts to begin with and save on insurance fees and parts production costs etc etc etc
btw that momentum against a set of knees really hurts! with lots of snapcrackle&pop
So I must be missing something .....
The nubs are to pass NHTSA requirements. The cars wouldn't pass without them. They also prove useful in taking cosmetic damage from other cars in parking lots, as the whole bumper will not need to be replaced or repainted if they are hit. Porsche and Mercedes put have been putting them on a number of models in the past several years.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
The nubs are to pass NHTSA requirements. The cars wouldn't pass without them. They also prove useful in taking cosmetic damage from other cars in parking lots, as the whole bumper will not need to be replaced or repainted if they are hit. Porsche and Mercedes put have been putting them on a number of models in the past several years.
You hit that nail right on ... at max claimed damage threshold those lumps will not crumple independently enough to avoid creasing the rest of the underlying material so the whole cover will need to be replaced ... and there does not seem to be two impact support girders right behind the lumps which again means the whole darn section will crease as that momentum has to dissipate somehow especially if the collision is terminal

Now all that said ... IF those lumps can indeed be replaced independently and do act as damage ambassadors then great ... off they go

Also take note again ... euro versions dont have them ... thank goodness!

Sooner or later someone will report back on how those lumps save or not save the rest of the cover time will tell

And no disrespect to the experts ... but the particular nhtsa “requirement” pertaining to the lumps do not pass the basic common sense test. Seems just an admin papertrail work around. Drive backwards at 2.5mph into a wall ... lets see how much “cheaper” the repairs will be with those lumps? Doubt it will make a dent (no pun intended )

Like those funny tiny flaps aft of the rear tires to pass some ridiculous body extent vs tire extent rule good grief holy cow geewhiz

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah so I will say, my fathers AMG GTC was rear ended and the rear left nub took the entire impact. It was the only thing scratched up. The rest of the bumper was completely fine. The reason they are required is to protect the rear license plate in an accident.

That being said, it looks oddly stupid in the CLA with the way it was designed. It clearly wasn't a design element. The C117 looks better from the rear imo, especially the accentuated pre-face lift butterfly lights. Other than that, the C118 takes the cake for me. But there is a charm to our C117 haha, even though they nearly as refined.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Despite the bumperettes the new rear has grown on me over the previous gen.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts