Mercedes CLA Forum banner

2020 CLA In Person Impressions

16K views 78 replies 17 participants last post by  Doorslik 
#1 ·
I had some time after lunch today so I dropped by the local MB dealer to check out the 2020 CLA models. They only had two of them available both in the hideous taxi cab yellow. Here are just some random thoughts and first impressions.

Exterior Design -
I didn't like the 2nd gen as much as the original when I saw the pictures. The original CLA had this charm and look that just screamed "buy me" when it launched. The 2020 model is growing on me but it doesn't have the same pizzaz as the when the original launched. However I must admit the 2nd gen design does grow on you. It's a much better looking car in person and the front end does look a bit more aggressive than the old one with a lower stance and slimmer headlights. The side profile looks similar but is a bit more subdued since it loses some character lines of the original. The 2020 model truly looks like a mini CLS from the rear and side which I guess is not a bad thing considering the CLS is going to cost you around 80-95k+. Overall I think the exterior design is a wash. I might just be a bit biased though since i loved the original. I think over time the 2nd gen model will end up making the original look a bit dated.

Interior Design
The interior design is where the new model drastically changes. I'm sure everyone has seen the numerous online reviews praising the A class interior. The CLA has the exact same interior. Design wise it's a bit polarizing since I'm not a fan of a screen for the gauge cluster. But where the new model hands down is a class above the original CLA is the interior materials, build quality and the overall fit and finish. Even though the lower interior still has plenty of plastic, it's a nicer sturdier soft touch plastic. None of the cheaper hollow feeling of the original center console and lower dash. The overall finish, soft touch plastic, leather covered dash, button materials, etc, etc is definitely a huge step up over the original. The interior truly feels like a upscale merecedes in terms of materials and build quality. I didnt like the interior from the pictures but after sitting in one, yes the new car has a much nicer interior. Still need to get used to a LCD screen as a gauge cluster though. Speaking of dual screens the premium package is now a must!

PREMIUM PACKAGE IS A MUST- regarding the dual screen dash - the standard model with the 7" displays is no longer passable mainly because the gauge cluster is now a digital screen. Where the first gen had an actual analog tack and speedometer with a info screen in the middle the new model gives you a tiny 7" screen that feels cluttered, looks way too small and has the biggest empty black borders you will see in a car today. I dont understand how mercedes doesn't put the dual 10" screens as standard with the new design. Or at the minimum the gauge cluster portion should have the full res 10" display as standard with the infotainment/navi screen being an option like before. If anyone is considering the new CLA - definitely get the upgraded display.. Trust me on this one. You will definitely regret it if you have to look at a tiny gauge cluster every time you drive the car.

Technology - no need to get into this. I didn't play with the new system too much but the technology like all the reviews online is of course class leading and pretty damn nifty.

MY BIGGEST GRIPE - Some people may not care about this one but my biggest gripe on an overall pretty awesome car is the FAKE EXHAUST. Yes, if you dont know already the new CLA has dual exhaust cut outs in the bumper but both exhaust are completely FAKE. The exhaust pipe is not connected and is pointing down under the bumper. The dual exhausts you see has a plastic covering behind it. It looks STUPID and I cant understand why mercedes would do this. They are even starting to do this on their higher end models as well but at least some of those have a open cut out with the exhaust pipe still behind the bumper. The first gen CLA regardless of which model you got at least had real chrome exhaust tips.

VALUE - There is a lot more as standard now (LED lights, 18" wheels, pano roof, MBUX, etc) but the price of course increased quite a bit. With the premium package which is a must in my opinion your cheapest CLA is going to be right around 40-42k. Overall still a great value. The first gen after you add in the pano roof, LED lights, upgraded wheels and premium package you were also right around 38-40k so the price increase is as drastic as it seems on paper. So this is probably still going to be my next car next year.

Oh yeah one more thing.... the GAP IS STILL THERE!! Long live the infamous GAP!

See less See more
#47 ·
Thank you WhatsoN! Those are very useful links. We picked up the car 7 days ago and it's just great! Only thing missing is the lack of keyless opening of the doors, which the 2016 model had. It does have the remote start via the phone App "Mercedes Me Connect" which I did get working., I just ordered the projector lights! Thanks again!

#53 ·
Though our euro cousins dont get that benefit ...
Or perhaps they dont need it [emoji4]

For me its just a personal thing ... reminds me of the days when those ridiculous bumpers were mandated in 1974-75 and screwed up many otherwise acceptable designs not to mention all that added weight

Now this is a bit of soapbox:
here ... those lumps will not sustain a constant 2.5mph X 3250lb momentum unless they are solid and backed with a grid piled up against a subframe (which they aint) which means the bumper cover is toast anyway and these from what I saw are all show bumpers over a frame bar
Of course the insurance angle is a whole new can of worms ... but it seems common sense is nowhere to be found in terms of absolute physical function - ie sustain 2.5mph X 3250lb hit without “any” damage ... nonelastic material deformation and surface or paint destruction negates the “any” comment ... which means it needs to be replaced so why not start with less complex less expensive parts to begin with and save on insurance fees and parts production costs etc etc etc
btw that momentum against a set of knees really hurts! with lots of snapcrackle&pop
So I must be missing something ..... [emoji4]

#56 ·
The nubs are to pass NHTSA requirements. The cars wouldn't pass without them. They also prove useful in taking cosmetic damage from other cars in parking lots, as the whole bumper will not need to be replaced or repainted if they are hit. Porsche and Mercedes put have been putting them on a number of models in the past several years.

#59 ·
Yeah so I will say, my fathers AMG GTC was rear ended and the rear left nub took the entire impact. It was the only thing scratched up. The rest of the bumper was completely fine. The reason they are required is to protect the rear license plate in an accident.

That being said, it looks oddly stupid in the CLA with the way it was designed. It clearly wasn't a design element. The C117 looks better from the rear imo, especially the accentuated pre-face lift butterfly lights. Other than that, the C118 takes the cake for me. But there is a charm to our C117 haha, even though they nearly as refined.

#61 ·
Yeah so I will say, my fathers AMG GTC was rear ended and the rear left nub took the entire impact. It was the only thing scratched up. The rest of the bumper was completely fine.
So on the gtc the lumps are separate? And can be replaced independently?
Wondering how that left lump dispersed the crash energy? Or was it just a love tap?

#63 ·
Is that illuminated star from MB or is it after market. I thought MB stopped offering the illuminated star as an option

#73 ·
True but these days a vin is a window into some dark opportunity by some nefarious clown with tech skills and nothing better to do
Especially since security and gps codes are tied to the vin in addition to all sorts of public records
Gee time to live in a cave with a horse and buggy [emoji39]

#75 ·
Rapidfire would be very pleased to hear about gap retention in the 2020s!

Reactions: Yoshi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.