Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let’s just say for an example that you have a 2020 CLA250 that now has 15k miles that you bought brand new, AMG Line w/ Night package, 10.25 screen, heated seats... and for MSRP let’s say 50k after options, taxes, etc. According to KBB, your car would only be worth 30k-33k, 35-40% less than brand new in its first year. If you wanted to trade in your financed car a year later, you’d be 10k-15k upside down (negative equity) driving the normal amount of miles and only having the car only one year. It’s even worse for me driving because I drive 40k-45k miles a year, it would be 50%+ depreciated. I wouldn’t recommend financing this car unless you keep cars long term, leasing is the way to go otherwise. Even worse situation if you don’t have GAP in total-loss. I didn’t see this much depreciation on the first generation. DISCLAIMER: I understand that Luxury cars depreciate more than other cars but this much depreciation in the first year is unbelievable even for a luxury vehicle. This is what most normal cars see in 4-5 years that this car is seeing in 1 year.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
... let’s just say for an example...but this much depreciation in the first year is unbelievable...
Is this your first MB? Have you owned BMW's or Audi's?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this your first MB? Have you owned BMW's or Audi's?
No, I had a 2018 CLA. Had a 2012 BMW 328i, it was paid off by the time I had a gotten the CLA, was worth like 10k at the time but it was higher in the miles. Never paid attention to how much it depreciated in its first year though.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My CLA listed for about $31K in 2014. CarMax is selling them today for $19K.
<$12K after 7yrs. Still get compliments and one of the greatest I have owned, except for the RF tires, which was a new "EURO" concept to me at the time. Don't know how you can ask for more of a brand

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My CLA listed for about $31K in 2014. CarMax is selling them today for $19K.
<$12K after 7yrs. Still get compliments and one of the greatest I have owned, except for the RF tires, which was a new "EURO" concept to me at the time. Don't know how you can ask for more of a brand
Right! The first generation didn’t seem to depreciate as bad as this second gen.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
So let’s just say for an example that you have a 2020 CLA250 that now has 15k miles that you bought brand new, AMG Line w/ Night package, 10.25 screen, heated seats... and for MSRP let’s say 50k after options, taxes, etc. According to KBB, your car would only be worth 30k-33k, 35-40% less than brand new in its first year. If you wanted to trade in your financed car a year later, you’d be 10k-15k upside down (negative equity) driving the normal amount of miles and only having the car only one year. It’s even worse for me driving because I drive 40k-45k miles a year, it would be 50%+ depreciated. I wouldn’t recommend financing this car unless you keep cars long term, leasing is the way to go otherwise. Even worse situation if you don’t have GAP in total-loss. I didn’t see this much depreciation on the first generation. DISCLAIMER: I understand that Luxury cars depreciate more than other cars but this much depreciation in the first year is unbelievable even for a luxury vehicle. This is what most normal cars see in 4-5 years that this car is seeing in 1 year.
Cars are always a bad investment choice... We buy cars because we 1) need them to get around , 2) want to enjoy the driving pleasure, 3) enjoy the overall feeling the car offers to the senses. But WE NEVER buy cars because we consider it as an investment monetarily...
We would just hope the car doesn't depreciate that quickly...

If you are freaking out about the depreciation with your CLA, consider owners of SAABs back in the 2000s, it was ridiculous... I owned one, the SAAB 9-3t, totally enjoyed driving it, a blast to drive, a nightmare to own , and depreciate like a bomb...

It is pointless to ponder over the depreciation when you own cars like the MB, BMW and Audi's... If it bothers you too much, buy them used... But everyone wants to feel that brand new leather seats, brand new car smell, new steering wheel to grab on to etc...

So question is, what are you willing to give up on, and what are you NOT willing to give up on...

OR you can buy the entry Toyota YARIS, cheap buying, and really does not depreciate as quickly...

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
225 Posts
not sure on the figures you have got but my car has only depreciation £2000 in the first year so im not that bothered, im actual quite pleased but then i have only done 1300 miles

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
not sure on the figures you have got but my car has only depreciation £2000 in the first year so im not that bothered, im actual quite pleased but then i have only done 1300 miles
Every market is different in the way a car depreciates... some markets are brutal , while others are less so, all dependent on how the market views cars...

BUT all cars depreciate, the moment you sign that contract , and drive it out the door of the dealership, you have already lost money on the car ... as an investment, cars are worse than the worst performing NYSE stock commodity you can buy...

But we buy cars or lease them, as they are either a necessity, and/or it fulfills a desire in us , this pleasure of enjoying how a particular car stimulates your senses and emotions... =)

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
This may provide a historical example ... using my 2014 CLA250 and open source data (KBB for this study)
Started the clock 03/31/14 and last check was 12/21/20 ... averages to ~62% between private and tradein

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
This may provide a historical example ... using my 2014 CLA250 and open source data (KBB for this study)
Started the clock 03/31/14 and last check was 12/21/20 ... averages to ~62% between private and tradein

View attachment 66908
Looks like some pharma stock commodity, where in the later years , some important corporate release cause an increase in value =)

In any case, all cars, unless you are talking about the unique, one of a kind or really old vintage cars , which can see value get to millions of dollars, ... all cars in general, especially the luxury brands, depreciate in value quickly. no point lamenting about it, because that is a reality...
When I buy my car, I just pray that it does not give me too much issues, hope it runs well , acceptable maintenance costs, and enjoy the heck out of driving it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts