Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the larger/perforated brakes the "Sport Package" seems to be more cosmetic than anything.
The US is already getting the sport suspension as the standard setup so why not just make the AMG styling standard?

Not ranting...just baffled at the marketing strategy.....:confused:

·
Registered
730 Posts
The US is already getting the sport suspension as the standard setup so why not just make the AMG styling standard?
It's not likely that everyone wants the Sports Package, from an aesthetic standpoint. Not to mention, an "AMG" cosmetic package (front valance, flared side-skirts, rear skirt, larger wheels, etc) is always an optional package on various MB models (ie. CLS, etc).

I'd be a bit more keen towards the CLA's optional Sports Package if it had in addition some distinguishing interior features.

Lastly, it's moarrr moolah for the manufacturer! :D

Reactions: ppiano23

·
Registered
106 Posts
Other than the larger/perforated brakes the "Sport Package" seems to be more cosmetic than anything.

Agree, I'm definitely going to spend that $2k elsewhere (e.g. premium option, sunroof, wheels, etc.) -- only thing I lose is the brakes and some cosmetic items. And personally, I prefer the standard cosmetic looks to the sport, although I'm probably in the minority there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im also glad that AMG package is not standard. The only think I really like is the AMG grill. I ordered urban package and I was told that AMG grill I can order separately later on during its production. Im so fine with that, exactly how I want :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think the sports pkg is not too bad for $2K, you also get the 18" wheels, high perf tires and the nicer grill....

·
Registered
730 Posts
... totally forgot about the different grille (chrome-tipped) w/ the Sports Package. Gotta see it in-person side by side w/ the standard grille.

I believe another distinguishing attribute may be the standard chrome window-trim vs. the Sports Package presumably having black window-trim (more of stealthy/sporty appearance).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sports package has the square bottom steering wheel as well. Thats kind of a nice feature to me. So used to that style on my GTI, im spoiled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm glad the sport package is not standard. I find the chrome tipped grill a little too much bling for a brand like Mercedes and I'm not fond of the vents behind the rear wheels either. Such styling reminds me of the overwrought designs from Pontiac years ago. At anything less than track speeds, such doo-dads are usually more about styling than function. I feel sporty Merc should steer clear of the boy-racer look of vehicles like the WRX and the EVO. Understatement is much more dignified especially if you are driving a non-AMG model.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm glad the sport package is not standard. I find the chrome tipped grill a little too much bling for a brand like Mercedes and I'm not fond of the vents behind the rear wheels either. Such styling reminds me of the overwrought designs from Pontiac years ago. At anything less than track speeds, such doo-dads are usually more about styling than function. I feel sporty Merc should steer clear of the boy-racer look of vehicles like the WRX and the EVO. Understatement is much more dignified especially if you are driving a non-AMG model.
Under your definition, the whole outside of the car is more styling than function... Or else the car would start looking like an F1 car.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
The car has an extremely low drag coefficient. The styling plays a huge role in that. Btw, low .cd doesn't just help on the track. It also helps at the pump!

-Eric

·
Registered
495 Posts

I'm with you all the way. I believe the sport package is a little pricy. There also are not enough options embedded within the package. I believe that the xenon headlamps should have been embedded within the sports package and the premium package. The stand alone options make no sense to me.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have to disagree with you on the grille. I definitely believe that the grille will turn heads and also gives the car a diverse look that is natural within any MB.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'ts not expensive for what you get:
- Grill (which costs sep. around 300)
- Sport sespension (sep around 1000k)
- 18" Wheels (extra price from the dealer from 500-3000)
- etc.

But the main thing why I didn't took is, is that you didn't get the reduces Prestige package. Even if a lot of options were already in that package.
So If you took the Prestige & The AMG line/Sport Package you'd pay for stuff you'd already have payed...........which is crap.
Maybe they fixed it at the moment, but it wasn't when I ordered it....

For others if you're fine with the normal suspension, don't take it. Just grab the Grill afterwards for around 300 and you're good to go :D.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Found Some Detailed pictures Differentiating Between The CLA Sports Package and The CLA Standard Package. There's a distinct difference in the Exterior between the Sports Package and the Standard Package. Pease Enjoy:)
Cla Sports Package.jpg Sports Package
Cla Standard Package.jpg Standard Package
Cla Sports Package 2.jpg Sports Package
Cla Standard Package 2.jpg Standard Package
Cla Sports Package 3.jpg Sports Package
Cla Standard Package 3.jpg Standard Package
Cla sports Package 4.jpg Sports Package
Cla Standard Package 4.jpg Standard Package
Cla Sports Package 5.jpg Sports Package
Cla Standard Package 5.jpg Standard Package

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Sport package in my opinion is a must have. Stock 17" wheels don't look good. Same design as Honda Accord ( which, BTW, is a very nice car.)
The car will look identical to the stock CLA45 AMG with the Sport Package ( That's why my order on the CLA45 has to include pieces not available on the CLA250 - like red calipers, AMG steering wheel, exhaust.)
I happen to prefer the standard five spoke AMG 18" wheel over the 10 spoke 19" option wheel ( for $950 or part of the $2800 driver package.)
Premium package may not be worth the money as the memory seats ( driver & passenger ) which is usually part of the premium package is standard on the CLA250.
I do want the heated seats but no use for the dual zone AC, self dimming mirror, home-link and better stereo. XM costs $15 a month so it is an extra cost item.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts