Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone comment on how the cla drives compared to a 2013 bmw 328i?

i drove the 328i and liked it enough heads up display is a nice feature

debating between a 2013 328i 47k msrp for 41k

and the cla for $1500 below msrp ( loaded minus navi) main concern is that the cla looks good but drives just ok and finish is average and its a first year model... will go drive it when available but curious what everyone thinks

to me the cost is the same given the free maintenance bmw offers. (assuming same rate/ planning on financing)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hard to compare - 320i 180hp, 328i 240hp, CLA 208 hp

Depends what you are looking for from your vehicle?

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
can anyone comment on how the cla drives compared to a 2013 bmw 328i?

i drove the 328i and liked it enough heads up display is a nice feature

debating between a 2013 328i 47k msrp for 41k

and the cla for $1500 below msrp ( loaded minus navi) main concern is that the cla looks good but drives just ok and finish is average and its a first year model... will go drive it when available but curious what everyone thinks

to me the cost is the same given the free maintenance bmw offers. (assuming same rate/ planning on financing)

They are different animals in every way. The 3 series is meant to compete with the C-Class in terms of quality of materials, size, etc. The 3 is, therefore, designed from the ground up to be more substantial in almost every way than the CLA. In terms of materials, the CLA is better compared to the 1 Series....which is only available as a coupe...so even it isn't a great comparison.

If you value performance over aesthetics then go with the Bimmer. It is a better performing car in every way. The CLA just isn't a sports sedan. It's sporty looking and competent enough but its FWD system will not hold a candle to the 3's RWD prowess. In terms of amenities the 3 will also offer more because it competes in a higher price bracket. The 328's engine will make it quicker than a CLA250 and my guess is that even the 320i will keep up even if it ends up being a tick slower. And, the fact is, when it comes to all of these things you have to pay for them in the BMW. The only real difference might be the kinds of discounts your going to get on it today vs. the CLA.

The question you need to ask yourself is which car your heart desires most. Ignore what everyone prefers (including me) and get the car you really want.

-Eric

·
Registered
97 Posts
thanks has anyone driven both?
I have test driven both CLA and 3 series. I don't know why and I'm not a car person that know all the detail about cars.
But it just feels like 3 series is more fun to drive, although 320 with the less power. 328 is gonna be even more fun.

To me , yes speed and all that is important . But I'm looking for a car that looks sporty and have a quality interior but not old. I don't need to race 0-60 everyday and I don't care much if it's a FWD.

It really is your preference

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought the 208 HP turbo engine. It's awesome for 4-cylinder "coupe". The 328 comes with 6-cyl. However, lot's of stats are saying that the CLA 250 is just as fast as the 328 in the 0-60. I would consider paying a little more than the 41k for the 328 for the CLA45. That car is 355 HP - a beast! When my lease is up, I'll consider the 45.

FYI... I never drove the 328. I think it would be smart to test drive both and then make your decision.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
The 45 is a little more than a little more than 41K. With a few basic options, a 45 will easily hit $55-60K.

-Eric

·
Registered
182 Posts
The CLAs best feature is the price point. Sadly right now only a select few dealers are offering that. A fully loaded A4, 3 series, Q50 etc are nicer cars. That is expected though because the CLA was not meant to rival those.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I just bought the 208 HP turbo engine. It's awesome for 4-cylinder "coupe". The 328 comes with 6-cyl. However, lot's of stats are saying that the CLA 250 is just as fast as the 328 in the 0-60. I would consider paying a little more than the 41k for the 328 for the CLA45. That car is 355 HP - a beast! When my lease is up, I'll consider the 45.

FYI... I never drove the 328. I think it would be smart to test drive both and then make your decision.
The 328 is a Turbo four. The 335 is a turbo six.

I generally love the BMWs but the 3 series looks so so un-interesting and so so big for a "small" car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The 328 is a Turbo four. The 335 is a turbo six.

I generally love the BMWs but the 3 series looks so so un-interesting and so so big for a "small" car.
yea i gotta agree with you. new 3 series model look too big.. i like the old one much better.
CLA looks more interesting and fun in every way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I did get to drive the CLA today. Non sport model. Was satisfied enough with the power, drive, handling. I am not a car and driver type. Other observations: rear window is small. I thought it was hard to see out if it. Back seat is small. No headroom. (Nothing new). Finish was underwhelming. Door crack aside (and it's definitely there) the buttons, roofliner, aluminum Etc felt less sturdy than the c. Screen was plastic and cheap. Shifting from park to drive and reverse from the steering wheel column was also strange. The handle is small and flimsy. Mountain gray did not dazzle to me. Overall it just felt flat. Sorry to be a killjoy. The car can be sexy with the sport package I'm sure. Still lots to like about it. And it will turn heads. But that's not enough for me. So I'm gonna cancel my order and go with the bland 328. I realize it is apples to orange. I would go cla over a 320. But the value on the 328 right now is hard to pass up.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
So I did get to drive the CLA today. Non sport model. Was satisfied enough with the power, drive, handling. I am not a car and driver type. Other observations: rear window is small. I thought it was hard to see out if it. Back seat is small. No headroom. (Nothing new). Finish was underwhelming. Door crack aside (and it's definitely there) the buttons, roofliner, aluminum Etc felt less sturdy than the c. Screen was plastic and cheap. Shifting from park to drive and reverse from the steering wheel column was also strange. The handle is small and flimsy. Mountain gray did not dazzle to me. Overall it just felt flat. Sorry to be a killjoy. The car can be sexy with the sport package I'm sure. Still lots to like about it. And it will turn heads. But that's not enough for me. So I'm gonna cancel my order and go with the bland 328. I realize it is apples to orange. I would go cla over a 320. But the value on the 328 right now is hard to pass up.
Gotta do what makes you happy...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hard to compare - 320i 180hp, 328i 240hp, CLA 208 hp

Depends what you are looking for from your vehicle?
I really like 320i. It has 180hp but nice torque and it is very fun to drive; good sound as well. I really like the space and it is 4k cheaper than 328i.
I had 2005 325i and the power feel almost the same...I'm 99.9% sure I will buy the 320i. Go and test drive them back to back, it will help you to make a decision. Also, 47k MSRP is a bit too much for any 3 series, unless it has M badge...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ended up with a 328 m sport for 12% under msrp. No time for mods tho good to know. Good combo of looks performance and practicality for me as I have Kids and need a back seat. Willing to accept that I paid a premium for the creature comforts and m sport xtras

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Ended up with a 328 m sport for 12% under msrp. No time for mods tho good to know. Good combo of looks performance and practicality for me as I have Kids and need a back seat. Willing to accept that I paid a premium for the creature comforts and m sport xtras
I know the 328s. That's easily a $50k+ car. Even with 12% discount ( unusual for BMW to discount like that ) it is still mid 40k. The CLA at $35k is tough to beat but once you load it up to over $40k, the options open up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know the 328s. That's easily a $50k+ car. Even with 12% discount ( unusual for BMW to discount like that ) it is still mid 40k. The CLA at $35k is tough to beat but once you load it up to over $40k, the options open up.
You can get 2013 320i for 29,637..thats 11.5% off MSRP, I think that's a no brainer...You should be able to get a bit more on fully loaded models. Product Vehicle Text Font Car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had my cla loaded and it just didn't seem like a smart buy, even with $2500 off msrp. The bigger question is should I go for the 335 for another $1200. I have til tomorrow. But this is getting beyond the cla...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts